Final JEOPARDY - Film Legends

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Jezebel38

Final JEOPARDY - Film Legends

Post by Jezebel38 »

OK, so tonight’s final JEOPARDY answer was: His only competitive Oscar win was for Best Film Score in 1973 for a movie he filmed in 1952 where he played a washed up comedian.

The 3 contestants, each of whom looked under age 30 guessed:

Rodney Dangerfield
Keenan Wynn
Milton Berle

OY!
patful

Re: Final JEOPARDY - Film Legends

Post by patful »

I watched it, and as much as I love the movie, I'm embarrassed to say I drew a blank too. My Oscar knowledge is pathetic.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

OK, so tonight’s final JEOPARDY answer was: His only competitive Oscar win was for Best Film Score in 1973 for a movie he filmed in 1952 where he played a washed up comedian.
The answer is Charlie Chaplin but I'm confused.

Marvin Hamlisch won Best Film Score in 1973 for The Way We Were

Chaplin won in 1972 for Limelight, I thought.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

That's how the question was worded, so if they got the year wrong it's an error on the staff writers part. Alex told the contestants "this was before your time" and smiled when he told the girl who guessed Rodney Dangerfield " I don't think most people would consider him a legend". I just was dismayed to think that these three smart young people probably never heard of Charlie Chaplin.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

There are a lot of people who don't remember a lot more than Charlie Chaplin and he's way back in the silent era. I have grandkids in their teens, others in their 20's and nieces and nephews in their 30's, and most of them don't know who Alfred Hitchcock is, or Jimmie Stewart, some don't know Frank Sinatra, and the list goes on and on. Someone on this board said recently that because Jimmie Stewart and Henry Fonda were old and past their prime and that's why Firecreek failed at the box office. That's a member I assume is around 40 to have that impression of JS and HF in their late 50's. In fact they both went on to act for another 10 years or so, but it's almost like Logan's Run to be over the hill at 30. It's sad.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************