Bad Day at My Park

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Bad Day at My Park

Post by mrsl »

Boy what a lousy time I picked to quit smoking! I'm still steamed over missing some movies I had wanted to see last month but missed because of avoiding 'ol marble mouth, and this month, just nothing is appealing. I sure hope it's just the patch, and normal crankiness. What do you people do with your hands? The patch helps with the urge for the cig, but I find myself reaching unconciously for that lighter and little white tube.

Anyway what started this diatribe was actually this thought: Ida Lupino, who although a beautiful, and talented lady, played some of the lousiest parts I can imagine (by lousiest I mean nasty, and mean, not untalented). I don't think any other actress has put me in the mind of hoping she either dies in the end, or gets some other major comeuppance. After Kirk Douglas getting his in Ace in the Hole, later we watch Ida screwing her sister around for years before she finally gets it, and I loved the sliding door bit in They Drive by Night.

There have been actresses who were female dogs in many movies, but usually only once or twice, but Ida seemed to make a career of it. Looking at a list of her movies, you see how many times she played a rotten egg, but she sure was good at it.

Needless to say, I can't wait for July and Randy. :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Boy, what a lousy week I picked to quit amphetamines!

Sorry...
klondike

Post by klondike »

jondaris wrote:Boy, what a lousy week I picked to quit amphetamines!

Sorry...
You're forgiven, but . . do you like Gladiator Movies?!! :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

:roll:

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha- Very funny guys, talk about rotten eggs!!!!!

But you didn't answer my question, what do you do with your hands? For 47 years I've had a cigarette in my hand, but I find myself chewing on my nails instead.

Also, do you agree that Miss Lupino was an extremely good witch? Ooops, spelled wrong!

Anne
Anne

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne asked: "...what do you do with your hands?"

Hey Anne...I quit smoking cold turkey in March 1977 at age 29. I had been a heavy smoker since the age of thirteen and by the time I quit I was up to three packs a day. I had the same problem you talk about; what to do with my hands. So I grabbed a pencil and started doing crossword puzzles, sometimes ten or twelve a day. Previously I had never done them before but in no time I became something of a whiz at 'em. I'm still doing 'em to this day, the harder the better. And I haven't had a cigarette in thirty years. Only recently I've read that regularly doing crossword puzzles is a way to stave off alzheimer's disease and other similar senility issues. I guess you might say it's been a win-win proposition.
Good luck!!!!!
-Dewey
vallo

Post by vallo »

Anne, I quit after 35yrs. of puffing away. I got a Prescription of a Nicotrol Inhaler. It's a small plastic mouthpiece (like a TIPARILLO Cigar) that you put a cartridge of nicotine in to help you ween cigarettes. I put 1 in and after a while I quit. I kept the mouthpiece and it pacifies the need to do something with my hands. It great that you quit!! Lots of luck..

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I need them.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, as you might guess by my "handle", I took up knitting. It is supposed to be more stress-relieving than Yoga, and you have something to show for all your efforts. When you start, you really have to concentrate on what you're doing, and then gradually it becomes second nature. I teach knitting to beginners one night a week, and enjoy the teaching almost as much as the knitting.
Anyway, find a knowledgeable yarn shop, ask for a lesson or two, then sit down with Chuck Connors and make a scarf...I bet you'll be a happy hooker in no time!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

My wife and daughter crochet for fun. It's not in your league but it's second nature for them. They do it while they watch TV as well. My daughter likes to make scarfs for her friends. She's even made a little money at it. My wife quilts and sews. She belongs to a sewing guild and use to work at a fabric store. That was her vice, spending money on material to make things. Our den is half sewing room (and it's a bit of a mess.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, there's a whole language out there for fiber "addicts". The best one is when you refer to your "stash"...it's how much yarn you have waiting to be worked.

Anne, I have been smoke-free for 15 years, and until I started knitting, I still had strong cravings for a cigarette. When I discovered yarn, my hands and head were too busy to remember smoking!!! I believe Rosalind Russel, who suffered terribly from arthritis, knitted like a fiend. She said it was the only thing that kept her hands from freezing up.

Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You are all wonderful with your hints and suggestions. Unfortunately I have been crocheting for 41 years, since I was 21, and that's part of my problem. I find myself putting the yarn down to reach for the lighter and cig out of habit. I make extra money with some of my creations from photos I hang in the local stores as advertising. Even when reading, I find myself reaching unconsciously for the cig with my right hand, while I shift the book to my left hand. It's really a trial to find some new challenge - I crochet, knit (but don't like it), paint, draw in chalk and pencil, cross stitch, and do the N.Y. Times crossword every day, in addition to the daily crossword on the Yahoo word games. My sister-in-law suggested sucking on a straw, and my neighbor said to try licorice sticks, but the idea is to quit that habit of having something in my hand all the time, or laying on the table (ashtray) until the next 'hit'.

So, you see, that is where my nerves are coming from. The patch is doing fine in preventing urges for the cigarette, but before my nails are bitten down to the pulp, I need to find something new.

Thanks Again - You're al great!!!

Anne :lol:
Anne

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Anne, I've never been a smoker, so I can't directly relate to your struggle...BUT I did want to chime in and say HANG IN THERE! YOU CAN DO IT!

My favorite aunt was a heavy smoker. She had emphysema and coughed up blood. She died when I was 16. What I wouldn't give for a few more years with her. She had begun smoking when people didn't know how bad it was and could never give it up.

So, I applaud your quitting!

Sandy K
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Anne,

I'm so happy to hear of your decision. I smoked for a little while a LONG time ago, but it never really "did anything for me" so thankfully I could give it up before it became a habit. I understand the need to have something to do with your hands. Someome mentioned it in this thread, what I do is play with straws :oops: Some people think it's strange but whatever works, right? :lol:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Anne!
Just checking in, to see how you're doing. Hope you are hanging in there, it's the hardest thing I have ever done (including having a 10.5# baby). BUT IT'S WORTH IT, GIRL!!!!!! As long as you have friends to lean on or b**** at, or whatever, you will make it! So Fire Away!!!!!!

Nancy
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I thought I'd tune in with a little update. It's been 4 smoke-free weeks so far. I got through the 4 days at the hospital, and the wake and funeral, also a few friends dropped by and I encouraged them to go ahead and smoke so I would have that closed in-tight quarters feeling, but no problem-o. The only problm was clearing out the odor during rainy days, but I managed - I finally 'smell' the coffee, or 'non-smell', I guess I should say.

The habitual reaching for the cig and lighter after meals, and during crucial scenes of movies and TV programs is slowly but surely, receding. Every now and then I still turn around in my seat to reach for the phantom cigarette, but it is getting to be fewer and fewer times. I'm still on the No. 1 (or heaviest dosage) patch, but after the next two weeks, I plan to go to the lower one. One thing I have to say is, it's kind of nice to be able to buy a new blouse and pair of slacks with the dough that would normally have been saved for my habit. If I continue to restrain myself, maybe in a few months I can get that DVD recorder I want. Then I'll need all of your advice on what to get.

One thing I must say while re-watching Comanche Station, is that in the past two weeks, I haven't really missed TCM. Every time I switched over to see what was on, I found repeats playing, and coming up later in the day. Seriously during the last two weeks, except for about 5 movies, EVERYTHING that TCM has shown has been movies I've seen several times already. There are many movies I will watch over and over again, but somehow, recent schedules have been of movies not in my realm of preferences.

I'm really looking forward to Summer/Stars because they are having some new and different people this year than have been used previously. For you to know how bad it's been, I even watched AMC one whole day! . . . . . That's bad!!!

Anne
Anne