To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by JackFavell »

This is Tippy, our toy(?) poodle. He is a big toy, or a runty miniature, we aren't sure. He looks like this most of the time now, since he is 17 years old, and sleep is his number one pastime. We adopted him when he was 12.

I did not name him Tippy, and was hoping for a name change to something less frou frou, but my daughter liked it. I feel bad for him, being a small poodle, and suffering the indignity of a wimpy name on top of being looked at as some pathetic purse pet. Try finding a small dog coat that ISN'T pink sometime. It's tough.

When we got him he was terribly skittish and fearful of any male coming into the house, including my husband. This is understandable, since his previous owner was killed by her angry husband, and Tippy was placed in the dog pound by police for several weeks. My groomer called and begged me to take him. I said I would if no one else did - since my husband had just made it very clear he didn't want another dog after our Collie died. One couple took Tippy, but then gave him back the next day. So we took him, and it's been quite the experience. I have never regretted taking him, poor fellow.

Tippy was a complete wreck, even after we got him and tried to make him comfortable. He whined for hours, was afraid of dogs and humans, and was frightened of the mailman especially. He was scared all the time. I suspect that his home had been abusive, but it's hard to tell - Tippy never told us. He had a back injury of some kind. He has food allergies too. We have to feed him ground turkey and brown rice. He did not know how to go outside to go to the bathroom, or how to play, and he would only eat at 5 o'clock at night, which was not working because he would become so hungry that he would throw up every morning. It took a year to get him to learn it was OK to eat breakfast, and to get him housebroken. I trained him to cross the street to go to the bathroom, going a little farther every day. These two things were actually the hardest part of his training. He would stop at different gates, on our walks, I think he was trying to find his previous owner. It broke my heart.

Now, after four or five years, you would not even know it was the same dog - he does not whine anymore, is accustomed to strangers visiting, and he leads a relaxed, quiet life. He still hates the mailman, but it is under control. He has occasional bouts of Alzheimers, I think, when he just stands and stares into a bookcase or a wall.

This year, we trained him to meet new dogs (pretty good for a 17 year old - you CAN teach an old dog new tricks) by using chicken or cheese as a treat when he is around them. We take him for walks at a local nature area, just to give him something new and exciting every now and then. He is sedate by nature, but likes to have his routine shaken up once in a while....He even has a girlfriend, a friendly black lab named Ella whom he treats badly, ignoring her whenever she's around. He is always quite pleased with himself after she leaves, though, and will occasionally drag me down to her house in order to ignore her at close proximity.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wendy, you are one of the Angels here on Earth, giving a poor little guy a second chance. Tippy is precious, and I'm sure he knows how loved he is. It takes hard work to break bad habits, and given that he was 12 when you got him...well, like I said, you are an ANGEL!!!

thanks for sharing his story. And if you want to drop by here, I've got a Shih Tzu you could take a crack at.....sigh
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And if you want to drop by here, I've got a Shih Tzu you could take a crack at.....sigh
Hey, I got my hands full with this one! It's dogfood making day again tomorrow....sigh.

When it all gets to be too much, I dream of Ben riding up on his horse to rescue me.... :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

oo,oo, I like that dream!!!!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Wendy, I so enjoyed your story and picture. You are indeed an angel.
Birdy
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Birdy - we're no angels... we just love dogs. And Tippy still has to put up with occasional torture:

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stylin'!!!!!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

It's too late now since the show has been cancelled, but I wish I had suggested some of you real dog lovers watch the Bonnie Hunt Show daily at 2:00 Chicago time. I have never seen a dog lover like her. She had dog rescue adoptions all the time on her show, and every one of her TV crew adopted dogs, not necessarily from her show, but they all got dogs. The best thing is, the whole crew is urged to bring their dogs in rather than leaving them home alone, so it's not unusual to see a dog strolling across the stage at any time. They have everything from little teacup dogs to huge boxers. It's a pleasure to watch and once again I can thank NBC for cancelling a wonderful show.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I did catch Bonnie's show a few times, Anne, and appreciated her sharing her love of animals. I also enjoyed seeing Betty White on Letterman this week petting a baby porcupine. She's another famous person who's a good example to all of spreading animal love.
Birdy
klondike

Post by klondike »

BIG NEWS

[My son Morgan will be so excited to hear about this - he's been a big-time fancier of Cane Corsoes for the past 8 years or so!]

Three new dog breeds recognized by AKC
Meet the Icelandic sheepdog, Cane Corso and Leonberger

Three exotic strains of pooches that put the “wow” into bow-wow are being recognized by the American Kennel Club — allowing them to strut their stuff at AKC breed competitions in the U.S., including next February’s Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York’s Madison Square Garden. The AKC announced exclusively to TODAYshow.com that the Icelandic sheepdog, the Cane Corso & the Leonberger will be added Wednesday to the list of 164 breeds already registered with the organization. “It’s great: We’re adding 3 new dogs to our registry,” AKC spokeswoman Christina Duffney told TODAY. “As of Wednesday, they’re able to compete in shows & take part in any AKC activity.”
Old dogs, new recognition
Though new to the AKC, the three breeds have been around for centuries. The Icelandic sheepdog, for example, arrived on that island nation with the Vikings, who settled there more than 1,000 years ago. The breed — part of the spitz family, which includes chow chows and the American Eskimo — was used to herd sheep, cattle and horses. Revered in their homeland, Icelandic sheepdogs are regarded as one of the oldest dog breeds in the world, but are only now getting formal AKC recognition.
The lion-maned Leonberger, named after the town of Leonberg, Germany , from which it hails, has been part of that country’s culture since the 1800s. Its exquisite long fur made it popular with German artists, who often used Leonbergers as models. Despite their large size, they’re considered cuddly and get along well with children and other family members. But the Leonberger is more than just a pretty, friendly face — they’re athletic and have been used as water rescue dogs and been trained to jump out of helicopters.
The third newly recognized breed is also the rarest. In fact, the Cane Corso was nearly extinct until a small group of breeders brought it back in the 1980s. It’s a member of the mastiff family, and as such, it’s a muscle-bound dog that was highly prized in its native Italy for hunting difficult prey such as boar and fighting alongside Roman soldiers in ancient times. But these days, the Cane Corso isn’t overly fierce. They’re quite devoted to their owners and families, and they’re intelligent and easily trained.
Just being a distinct type of dog is not enough to be called an official AKC breed, Duffney said; “How long it takes for a breed to obtain AKC certification depends on certain factors.There’s not a set number of years. You never really know how long it’s going to take. An official organization is required for the breed, and standards such as size, coat & temperament.” AKC recognition benefits families who are choosing a pet, Duffney said. “You can get a dog that has qualities that are going to work with your family.” For example, as a new mom with a baby, Duffney said that if she were to get one of the new breeds, it would probably be the Leonberger, which gets along with children so well that its nickname is “nanny dog.”
“That’s the great thing about a purebred dog,” Duffney said. “There’s one for everyone.”
klondike

Post by klondike »

Dog Quotes

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies." -- Gene Hill

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx

"To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs." -- Aldous Huxley

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." -- Robert Benchley

"No animal should ever jump up on the dining room furniture unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the conversation." -- Fran Lebowitz

"Ever consider what dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" -- Anne Tyler

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult." -- Rita Rudner

"If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons." -- James Thurber

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -- Ben Williams

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." -- Christopher Morley

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Bonnie Hunt attended a Catholic High School about 3 blocks from where I lived until 3 weeks ago. 8)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! My dad quotes that Robert Benchley line ALL the time.

Thanks, Klonny, for the great read!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

My dog, Daisy, just adores kids and I have seen her bow in submission when she meet small children but today she really outdid herself. A young friend came home with me today, she is 13. I got out of the car first to greet Daisy and my friend was gathering her things. Daisy jumped in my car, which she never has done, into the driver's seat and across the console and laid her head in my friend's lap. It was very sweet. (Altho' a little embarrassing, I really should have better control of my dog. She weighs about 80 pounds.) Luckily, my little friend was impressed by her.
B
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

What a sweetheart both your dog and your young friend sound like! The only problem might be if someone were a bit frail or afraid of dogs. Otherwise, it would make most dog lover's day to be greeted with such effusive joy. What kind of dog is Daisy, Birdy?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks