Black Narcissus (1947)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Black Narcissus (1947)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

My favorite of Pressburger and Powell's work. Shows today. Thoughts or comments?
feaito

Post by feaito »

This is one of my favorite British films of all time. Exquisite cinematography. Excellent performaces. Atmospheric film, full of imagery and symbolism. I am the proud owner of the Criterion DVD Edition. A must-see. They don't make them like this anymore.

Kathleen Byron is really terrific in this film. The erotic tension that develops between the characters played by Mr. Farrar and Misses Kerr and Byron, makes me wonder how this film passed the censorship of the time. Most probably it was due to the good taste and intelligence of the directors.
Moraldo Rubini

Black Narcissus

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

This movie is enchanting. I too have the Criterion Collection edition of the film. The transfer is gorgeous. I've also been lucky enough to see this movie on the big screen. The colors of this film make me drunk. In fact, I'm often so dazzled by the look of the surface of this movie, I feel that I still have much to discover about the themes and undercurrents.

I'm surprised each time to discover Jean Simmons as the dancing girl. I never think of this as a Jean Simmons movie; and there she is...

It's remarkable that none of this movie was shot in India. This movie was released as India was about to gain independence from Great Britain. I understand that to British audiences, this movie was about giving it up. As the nuns depart the Himalayas at the end of the movie, the British imagined this symbolizing the departure of England from a country that it occupied but never really understood.

Whatever its intent, it haunts me like a vivid dream...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I love the dreamlike quality of this film, which turns nightmarish so convincingly.

I love it especially because it affords Sabu, one of my favorite actors, a chance to break the mold of his typecasting, albeit very gently. It's one of the few films he was in where he is able to build a character.

I think he looks very handsome, and his scenes with Simmons are understated, but quite hot, as they say. The incident at the river - he being urged to beat her, she cowering, not too unwillingly, at his feet. The two actors get volumes of subtext out of it.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

There is a scene in the film where Sabu is all decked out in a splendid outfit with earrings which reminded me of Carmen Miranda.

Actor David Farrar who played the sexy Mr. Dean was quoted:

[on Black Narcissus (1947)] "I can honestly say that every day of shooting was an exciting adventure, mainly due to Micky's ['Michael Powell' ] creative ideas. The whole thing was an outstanding, fully satisfying creation. People could scarcely believe that the whole film was shot in the studio, with profiles and smokescreens against the skyline to give the effect of the dizzy height of the Himalayas. In some of the 'snow scenes', 'Sabu' and I were wearing bearskin coats in the middle of a heatwave!"
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

[quote="mongoII"]There is a scene in the film where Sabu is all decked out in a splendid outfit with earrings which reminded me of Carmen Miranda.

I think that was the idea, since the Young General is supposed to be something of a peacock, which is certainly how the sisters see him. Their cluelessness and "apartness" from the flock they are supposed to be ministering to is one of the points of the story, isn't it? No matter how altruistic the nuns think their motives, it's really only the doctor who "gets" it and, as far as the women are concerned, the doctor is guilty of "going jungli," which is how the British Raj described those colonialists who "went native." It wasn't a compliment. I think most of Rumer Godden's stories take this condescending colonial tone.

However, I think Powell/Pressburger photographed Sabu to look rather attractive and regal, despite his being sometimes presented as a figure of fun. It's as though we were seeing shown both aspects and must judge for ourselves.
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

A masterpiece! It is like a wonderful hallucinogenic experience. Sort of like David Lean meets David Lynch.
Superb Technicolor cinematography and art direction...in that amazing palace with all those exotic birds and that frightening wind.
It's constantly examining the "underneath" of "perfection." It seems like everybody is on the verge of exploding.
It's a textbook of "sacred cows-"religion, social customs, politics in general...mental illness, sexuality, "magic." I can't think of much not covered...including vertigo!
All the performances are wonderful, but my favorites are from Sabu and May Hallatt.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

An intoxicating film, and as Mr. Rubini says, I'm always amazed that it was not filmed on location.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

jdb1 wrote:However, I think Powell/Pressburger photographed Sabu to look rather attractive and regal, despite his being sometimes presented as a figure of fun. It's as though we were seeing shown both aspects and must judge for ourselves.
I very much see Sabu's character "the young General" as a Christ figure in this film. It's also interesting that the most Biblical statements are not made by the nuns, but the unbelievers.

The young General is humble and meek. He is also the only male student at the convent. When Sister Clodagh says they do not accept men he replies: "Jesus Christ was a man".

Later on Christmas eve when Sister Clodagh tells him that "they don't refer to Him so casually" it is a drunken Dean who reminds her of what a Christian relationship should be.

It is the young General who forgives Kanchi when she steals the brass chain and gives her his golden chain (also a symbol of power and status) instead of beating her.

When Sister Clodagh wonders what should be done about the holy man sitting on their property, Dean stares her down and says: "What would Christ do?"

When Sister Ruth says to the young General that she does not like his perfume the young General inquiringly asks: "isn't it common Sister Ruth to smell of ourselves?"

This is the difference between the villagers who live life everyday and the nuns who seek to suppress their own lives. It is also how Sister Clodagh comes to find her faith while Sister Ruth's is lost in madness.

This comes to full full flower in Sister Clodagh's relationship with Mr. Dean at the end of the film. Here is a man that won't be tamed or tied down and yet he agrees to tend Sister Ruth's grave. Sister Clodagh is leaving in what may be construed as defeat, but what she has learned about herself, her faith, and her influence on Mr. Dean makes us realize that perhaps Divine will was accomplished in this godforsaken wilderness after all...
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on April 30th, 2007, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

It always amazes the detail in which many movie buffs can remember certain parts of films and/or books. I for one tend to forget all the details. Bad Memory? Uhh?? I sincerely envy that ability.
feaito

Post by feaito »

On sunday I watched another excellent, superlative Powell-Pressburger film (which I had never seen before): "A Matter of Life and Death" aka "Stairway to the Stars". What a fantastic, unique film; haunting, out of this world. Words are really not enough to praise this work of art. This film really surpassed my expectations. Niven, Kim Hunter, Marius Goring are all outstanding.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I thought Raymond Massey was great in that film. Also, a visual influence on Wings of Desire (1987) where the angels view is black and while while the earthbound mortals world is color.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Feaito,

A Matter of Life and Death is my favorite P&P film. If I remember correctly, Moraldo Rubini is a great fan of it as well.

It's a beauty to see on the big screen if you ever get the chance!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

Mr. Arkadin,

I have never seen "Wings of Desire" (shame on me), but I'd love to.

Lynn,

It's good to know you and Moraldo also love this wonderful film. In general I'm very keen on British films, especially directed by P&P and David Lean. Sadly, I think I'll never have the chance of watching it on the big screen here in Chile. I'd probably have to travel to San Francisco, NY or other American or European city. No Classic film festivals here these days :cry:

The only movies I remember being showed on the big screen at some time here in Santiago were more typical stuff like "GWTW" (in CINERAMA!!!!!!! Sacrilege!!!), "Around the World in 80 days", "Dr. Zhivago", "Touch of Evil", "The Great Dictator", "Rebel Without a Cause" and "Casablanca". Not ever something like "A Matter of Life and Death", I think it might be too much to ask for.