Happy Birthday Errol Flynn!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Happy Birthday Errol Flynn!

Post by pktrekgirl »

Happy Birthday, Errol Flynn! 8)

As many of you know, Errol Flynn is one of my favorites, and I am an avid Flynn fan and collector.

Please tell me about your favorite Errol Flynn film in this thread, and why you like it! And if you like, I'd love to hear about your first memories of seeing one of his wonderful films, and what you thought!

I'll post later in the day myself...but I wanted to get this up early. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I watched the otherwise routine Don't Bet on Blondes this morning just to see that divinely beautiful man. He was too much for such a throw-away movie---you can see that clearly. I find it odd that his first film wasn't Captain Blood, he's so obviously that kind of a star! Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it was his first movie. ;)

I have set my vcr to record Another Dawn, which I have always liked even before I became a "Flynnatic". It's terribly sentimental and old-fashioned and therefore not everyone's cuppa, but I revel in it. Now if I could only get the one he did with Ida Lupino, Escape Me Never, which I've never seen. Have you PK, anyone?
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Of Flynn's non-swashbucklers, I really like "Dodge City" and "Gentleman Jim." The ending of that film, when Ward Bond shows up at Flynn's party, and Flynn is gracious is just wonderful.

I also like "The Dawn Patrol" and "Objective Burma."
klondike

Post by klondike »

My favorite Flynn roles are when he goes "ethnic", as when he portrays the Highland outlaw Durrisdere (The Master of Ballantrae), or that infamous Afghani spy, Mabub Ali, from Kim.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Whew! Busy day at work today so I haven't been able to post before now.

MissG, I know what you mean about thinking of CAPTAIN BLOOD as Errol's first role...because really, before that he was in such minor roles in such minor pictures. I mean, the films they showed early this morning where hardly huge box-office draws as it was...and since he was so far down in the credits...well, you don't really think of these films much.

The amazing thing, however, is what a huge chance Jack Warner took with CAPTAIN BLOOD. I mean, he took this guy who was a virtual unknown, stuck him in the leading role of a big budget picture....and the rest is history. Errol rose to the occasion in a HUGE way...and rocketed to super-stardom virtually overnight. And Jack Warner had a new cash cow.

But really...when you look at CAPTAIN BLOOD, you can hardly believe he was a virtual newcomer...because that was the sort of role he was BORN to play. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that even more than THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, CAPTAIN BLOOD was "the" role Flynn was born to play. And like we have discussed before, his real life background makes it all the more authentic in feel.

And yes....I agree that he is positively breathtaking. No doubt of that. And even MORE beautiful once he opens his mouth and speaks. I mean seriously, I could listen to that voice FOREVER.

I'm still at work...but when I get home I will post more of my own thoughts.

But I plan to watch some Flynn films tonight!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

SPOILERS on That Forsythe Woman

I managed to catch the last 40 minutes of That Forsythe Woman (I stupidly failed to record it). I hesitate to say it (but I never let that stop me): I felt sorry for Errol's "Soames Forsythe"!! I don't know how much it had to do with the way Errol portrayed him or simply the fact that it was Errol who portrayed him, but I felt desperately compassionate for him. He was priggish and full of absurd family pride but it was so apparent that underneath it all he really did love "Irene" (Greer Garson). I couldn't help but think if she managed him the right way she could have gotten him to loosen up over time and become more human.

I guess it was that scene when she's tying his bow-tie and he reaches in for her and she pushes him away that sent me reeling. I could not even imagine pushing such an attractive husband away! Onto the bed, maybe...but I digress.

Having her end up with Walter Pidgeon almost seemed like fulfillment of an MGM contract clause: All Greer Garson movies must end with her in the arms of Walter Pidgeon.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

MissGoddess wrote:SPOILERS on That Forsythe Woman

I managed to catch the last 40 minutes of That Forsythe Woman (I stupidly failed to record it). I hesitate to say it (but I never let that stop me): I felt sorry for Errol's "Soames Forsythe"!! I don't know how much it had to do with the way Errol portrayed him or simply the fact that it was Errol who portrayed him, but I felt desperately compassionate for him. He was priggish and full of absurd family pride but it was so apparent that underneath it all he really did love "Irene" (Greer Garson). I couldn't help but think if she managed him the right way she could have gotten him to loosen up over time and become more human.

I guess it was that scene when she's tying his bow-tie and he reaches in for her and she pushes him away that sent me reeling. I could not even imagine pushing such an attractive husband away! Onto the bed, maybe...but I digress.

Having her end up with Walter Pidgeon almost seemed like fulfillment of an MGM contract clause: All Greer Garson movies must end with her in the arms of Walter Pidgeon.
I'm with you, Miss G. This version was all wrong, and Soames Forsyte should in no way be a sympathetic character. Have you read the trilogy? IMO, the first two novels are quite good, but the third, dealing with the second generation, looses steam. In the books, Soames does not love his wife as much as admire her as a prized possession. The first book is called "A Man of Property." Irene is the property.

And have you ever seen the British TV version - from the 60s I think, and is it in B&W? It was very faithful to the books and is excellent. I can still recall the ghastly scene of Soames raping his wife (precipitating her leaving him). It was understated, but very harrowing nonetheless. There's a second British version, maybe from the 80s, which I didn't like nearly as much as the first.
Last edited by jdb1 on June 21st, 2007, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I tried reading John Galsworthy's book (I have The Forsythe Saga) but gave up, it just didn't keep my interest. The only other version I've seen is the first couple of parts of the more recent BBC mini series. I have heard raves, though, about that 1960s series so I would like to check that out if it's available anywhere.

If Soames wasn't supposed to be sympathetic at all then this version definitely got it wrong as far as I'm concerned! Standing on its own, however, Errol did a fabulous job with a character completely different to any he had ever done before. Too bad Hollywood didn't appreciate it and give him broader opportunities.

But I did think Greer had the most ravishing wardrobe, and the interiors were quite impressive.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MIssGodess:

"The Forsythe Saga" (1969) is available on DVD and it's just the kind of thing your library is likely to carry. (Several of my local branches have it.) A more recent version also appears to be available.
Last edited by movieman1957 on June 21st, 2007, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Chris!