John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: John Ford

Post by MissGoddess »

Speaking of "light bulb" moments, I had a few while watching the "extras" on the Criterion Stagecoach DVD, which I highly recommend any fan of the film (or Ford) to watch. Just rent the supplemental DVD if you can. And watch, in particular, Tag Gallagher's video essay on the film. It made me think I'd never watched the film properly. I was picking my jaw off the floor and weeping at how poetic and beautifully he explained things, and showed with film clips what he meant. I guess, being Irish, he really, REALLY gets to the bones and guts of Ford.

And it doesn't hurt that Tag has a beeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful soft Irish speaking voice. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have ALWAYS had difficulty---even conscious resistence---to delving into film theory or construction of scenes and their meanings---heck I only recently learned (to a limited extent) what "mise en scene" really meant, ha!! It's all still a big puzzle I'm only beginning to identify all the pieces. And it's like a mystery that I have to solve, the riddle of what makes movies I"m passionate bout so compelling. I can no longer just sit back and enjoy them passivly, I have to get involved, much to the boredom of any who will listen or read. :lol:
geez, April, you and Jackie and ChiO and Dewey, and our fearless leader, Moira, are the TEACHERS here for me. To hear you say you are a beginner....GULP! I have a long, long way to go. It's wonderful to know I have all of you to assist my journey.

sniff. Is this a "huggie" moment or WHAT??? :oops:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Netflix only seems to have it as a Blu-Ray edition.

Have either of seen the Fox DVD of "Clementine"? They have the released version and then the one Ford wanted? Scott Eyman does an interesting commentary as well.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

MissG wrote:
I have ALWAYS had difficulty---even conscious resistence---to delving into film theory or construction of scenes and their meanings---heck I only recently learned (to a limited extent) what "mise en scene" really meant, ha!! It's all still a big puzzle I'm only beginning to identify all the pieces. And it's like a mystery that I have to solve, the riddle of what makes movies I"m passionate bout so compelling. I can no longer just sit back and enjoy them passivly, I have to get involved, much to the boredom of any who will listen or read.
At times like those (and these), when reading an in-depth analysis of a film I like but have never concentrated on, I am reminded of my favorite Peanuts strip:

Lucy (with Linus & Charlie Brown, on their backs on a knoll, looking up at the sky): "If you use your imagination, you can see lots of things in the cloud formations... what do you see Linus?"

Linus: "Well, those clouds up there look to me like the map of the British Honduras on the Caribbean... that cloud up there looks a little like the profile of Thomas Eakins, the famous painter and sculptor... and that group of clouds over there gives me the impression of the Stoning of Stephen... I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side..."

Lucy: "Uh huh... that's very good... what do YOU see in the clouds Charlie Brown?"

Charlie Brown: "Well... I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsie, but I changed my mind!"
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Charlie Brown: "Well... I was going to say I saw a ducky and a horsie, but I changed my mind!"

AMEN!!!!!!

And I forgot to mention Ark, and MM1957,and a host of others.

could we have a group hug????
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hahahahahahahaa! Thank you for the laugh, ChiO. Great wisdom to be found in those Peanuts characters.

Nancy---I'm definitely a beginner when it comes to the technical and theoretical side of things, and will always be the dunce
in any group of cineastes. But I am enjoying the voyage---so long as it continues to be fun, I'll stick with it. This is why I enjoy
most learning what someone feels about films---regardless of their background or level of interest in the craft. No one has
to be taught how to feel about a movie, and that levels the field in my opinion.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Netflix only seems to have it as a Blu-Ray edition.

Really?! That stinks.

Have either of seen the Fox DVD of "Clementine"? They have the released version and then the one Ford wanted? Scott Eyman does an interesting commentary as well.

Yes indeedy. I LOVE Scott Eyman's commentary (I love ALL his commentaries. They are arguably the best for Ford's films, and he provides an equally eloquent one for Lubitsch's Trouble in Paradise.)

I stand as slightly preferring Ford's "version" of MDC, but I'd hardly say Zanuck's is inferior. Just very slightly different. Speaking of Darryl, in that
same issue of "Senses of Cinema" where the Francis Ford article is published, is an article on Darryl Zanuck's interest in historical films. I hope
this link works:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2010/feat ... ntury-fox/
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The newly found silent film, UPSTREAM, is going to get its public debut at the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences in Beverly Hills on September 1st:

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibition ... tream.html

I'm pea green for you west coasters! I hope they bring it to the theater here in NYC.
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

MissGoddess wrote:The newly found silent film, UPSTREAM, is going to get its public debut at the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences in Beverly Hills on September 1st:

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibition ... tream.html

I'm pea green for you west coasters! I hope they bring it to the theater here in NYC.
MissG, I will be there, got my ticket today. I'm very anxious, backstage story, knife throwing, what's not to like?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait to hear about it!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well MissG, if I am going to see it I'll probably have to come north and someone take me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss G:

You wrote: " This is why I enjoy most learning what someone feels about films---regardless of their background or level of interest in the craft. No one has to be taught how to feel about a movie, and that levels the field in my opinion. "

I feel the same way you do. I love to read how some people can interpret how a character is supposed to be acting, or feeling, or saying lines, or how the camera catches certain flickers of light or movement, etc., but I will never have that ability, so I try to leave it to others unless it is something that is so apparent as to be impossible to miss, like the honor and respect the towns people feel for Atticus Finch at the end of the day when he is leaving and they all stand. Even if the man had said nothing to Scout, we, the audience, would still know what was going on. But I do have to agree with others that you have come very close in some of your posts to the sensitivity necessary to write a deep, moving critique. Some of your posts about John Ford movies are remarkable.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Those are mighty gracious words, Anne. Thank you kindly, but I just babble from
the heart when it comes to my favorite director. Most of it doesn't make sense,
but it's nice of you to read it anyway.

Hey everyone, I'm excited about NOVEMBER ON TCM because, in what may
be a first for the network, they are broadcasting one of the few surviving
films starring Francis Ford, Heart of an Indian, November 8 at 10:30 EST.
In a month long look at "Moguls and Movie Stars", this little silent gem
is the highlight for me, personally. I can't wait!

Here is the link to the November schedule by the way:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=11/1/2010
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

OK, all you Francis Ford fans... TCM is going to play a silent *starring* Francis Ford (directed by Thomas Ince) on Monday, November 8:

10:30 PM Heart of an Indian, The (1912) Natives kidnap a baby from a white settlement to replace a warrior's lost child. Cast: Francis Ford, Ann Little, Grace Cunard. Dir: Thomas H. Ince. BW-32 mins

It's part of a series they're running in November called Moguls and Movie Stars, A History of Hollywood.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am so excited about the Francis Ford film on Nov. 8th! Thanks so much MissG, and Paula, for the heads up...this is GREAT news!