THESE ARE THE DAMNED july 2nd on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dewey1960

THESE ARE THE DAMNED july 2nd on TCM

Post by Dewey1960 »

Here's a heads up for those hankering for an exceptionally unusual film that incorporates aspects of speculative science fiction (ala "Outer Limits"), film noir and juvenile delinquency. The film is THESE ARE THE DAMNED from 1962, directed by expatriate Joseph Losey. It airs on TCM Sunday, July 2 at 10:30 pm (PST) / 1:30 am Monday July 3 (EST). A prime example of what would be considered a "cult film."

Mistakenly thought of by many as a direct sequel to VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED and CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED, it is not. Produced in the UK by Hammer Films, the film deals with the queasy supposition that the government has been conducting strange tests on children in order to see how they might survive in the event of a radioactive nuclear war. The plot becomes a bit surreal when a motorcycle gang of teddy boys (led by Oliver Reed) enters the picture (possibly a concession to younger audiences caught up in the then current mods vs. rockers conflicts going on in the UK). Despite a somewhat eliptical narrative, THESE ARE THE DAMNED is a provocative, engrossing drama that will leave many viewers in a state of absolute bewilderment. Stunning black & white cinematography and a lingering feeling of dread. Released in the US by Columbia, which is why it is now turning up on TCM. Check it out!
vallo

Post by vallo »

I saw this film. But, under the name "The Damned" some reviewers compaire this film to an early "Clockwork Orange" with Oliver Reed in the Malcom McDowell role. I'll have to watch it again..it's been a while.
Thanks for the heads-up

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I will check it out also. Thanks for the tip.