Only in the movies...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Only in the movies...

Post by MissGoddess »

Only in the movies...

...can you find a parking place precisely in front of your destination.

...can you pull out of your pocket the exact amount for taxi fare---without even looking or asking for change.

...can a lady look like a beautiful rose after having delivered a baby.

Any others?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Only in the movies...
Do clothes appear to be magically dry looking as though they'd just been given a pass with a steam iron after their wearer has taken a dunking.

Do people enter the driver's side of a car via the passenger door by the curb. I figure this was done to save time on camera setups but I've never seen anyone do this in real life, (of course the presence of a stick shift in cars would make this a "sticky" move then and now, eh?)

Do women remove their glasses and then have their boss exclaim, "Why Miss Prendergast, you're beautiful!?!"

Does surprise evidence get introduced in a court case without benefit of allowing the opposition "discovery" of evidence and potential testimony. Also, show me a lawyer who wants to have such events occur during a case, possibly risking his not knowing the answers to any potential questions that he might ask, and possibly ticking off the judge and I'll show you a lawyer I would never hire to represent me!

Do "working class" women have elaborate hairdos and beautifully designed clothes. Most people were lucky to have a few "Sunday Best" duds and maybe two or three everyday outfits that were worn almost constantly while one was in the laundry.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

*lol* Those are some good ones. Your mention of the secretaries wearing glasses makes me think of the scene in That Touch of Mink, when Gig Young tries that experiment. When his secretary appears just as plain as she did before (worse---she's squinting because she can't see without her specs) he looks at the camera and comments, "Funny---it always works in the movies." Hee!

Have you also noticed that only in the movies do people just walk right into someone's house or apartment after getting no response to knocking just once or twice? The door is seldom locked and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a stranger's home or someone they know intimately, they just waltz right in!
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Only in the movies --

Do uniformed cops who aren't on the take afford to live in two story suburban homes with wives who stay home with the kids.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Only in the (classic Hollywood) movies --

Do people go up to telephones and dial, without ever needing to look up the number. And they always have a nickel to make the call from a pay phone.

Do women kiss men passionately without ever leaving any lipstick stains on the man's face or clothing.

Do women never get runs in their hose, unless it's a plot point.

Do bosoms never bounce, nor do garters ever show underneath clothing.

Does everyone know the words to every song; and if sheet music is put into someone's hand, they can sight-read and sing perfectly whatever is on it.

And no one ever uses a toilet, although they may sometimes get stuck in an outhouse that is about to be toppled over, but of course they were in there only to read the Sears catalog.
Moraldo Rubini

Only in the movies....

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

... is one small suitcase is sufficient to carry several ensembles (including a ball gown and evening wear).

... when emerging from a ditch, coal mine collapse, from under a car, or any other place involving dirt or grease, the protaganist's face will have a smudge just under the cheekbone.

... venetian blinds will emit light to the eyes while allowing shadows to caress the jawline (or lack thereof).
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote:Only in the (classic Hollywood) movies --

Do bosoms never bounce, nor do garters ever show underneath clothing.
I watched a "Todd/Pitts" short the other night and I haven't seen so much underwear since the last time we did laundry at my house. I got to see Thelma and Zasu and two nurses all in stuff that was more 5th Ave. than Sears. ("Alum and Eve")

As for bosoms, I watched Twentieth Century recently and Carole Lombard did enough bouncing to keep anyone interested. Of course that's pre-code.

Only In The Movies - do people have TVs in their living rooms at places where no one in their right mind would put one.

Only In The Movies - do women not get bed head after a night's sleep.
(My wife is always proud of hers. "I spent all night working on it.")
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

jdb1 wrote:Only in the (classic Hollywood) movies --

Do women kiss men passionately without ever leaving any lipstick stains on the man's face or clothing.

And no one ever uses a toilet, although they may sometimes get stuck in an outhouse that is about to be toppled over, but of course they were in there only to read the Sears catalog.
I'm always looking for the traces of lipstick and they're never there! The little lipstick fair jumps right in after the kiss to wipe away every trace.

And your last point is one of the reasons I soooooo prefer classic movies to today's! :roll:
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

movieman1957 wrote:As for bosoms, I watched Twentieth Century recently and Carole Lombard did enough bouncing to keep anyone interested. Of course that's pre-code.
Lombard in that movie is one the great natural wonders of the world. Sigh.
MissGoddess

Re: Only in the movies....

Post by MissGoddess »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:... is one small suitcase is sufficient to carry several ensembles (including a ball gown and evening wear).

... when emerging from a ditch, coal mine collapse, from under a car, or any other place involving dirt or grease, the protaganist's face will have a smudge just under the cheekbone.

... venetian blinds will emit light to the eyes while allowing shadows to caress the jawline (or lack thereof).
It's amazing what terrible packers most of them were! They usually just throw anything in the suitcase and slam it shut without a thought.

And no matter if there is a burglar in the house or a fire has started, whenever anyone gets out of bed they MUST pause to put on their slippers and a dressing gown or robe! :lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

jondaris wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:As for bosoms, I watched Twentieth Century recently and Carole Lombard did enough bouncing to keep anyone interested. Of course that's pre-code.
Lombard in that movie is one the great natural wonders of the world. Sigh.
You guys should check her out in No Man of Her Own, too. The only think holding her together in a couple of those gowns was modesty. :wink:

Jean Harlow had plenty of "bounce and go" in her movies, too.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Only in the movies...

...can one remember a telephone number without referring to an address book or telephone book. Even it's the chinese laundry from the town you lived in before this one.

...are telephone calls answered within a maximum of two rings and vast amounts of information communicated to the caller within split seconds.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot my favorite:

Whenever a girl loses her husband or lover, there never fails to be at least one guy waiting in the wings to jump in and take his place. It's serendipity!

I love it.
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Nobody finishes a cigarette. They are stubbed out after a coupla drags or thrown on the floor!
All drinking establishments have "open bar" policies. Nobody pays!
When someone coughs we know their days are numbered.
Nobody finishes a meal...a coupla bites and they're outta there.
People seldom watch the road when they're driving.
Automobile accidents usually involve a truck transporting chickens.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If a soldier/sailor/airman wants to show his buddy a picture of his girl....DOOMED!!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard