WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

MichiganJ

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by MichiganJ »

JackFavell wrote:This is why I enjoy your posts, AnnHarding. You manage in a few words to give the plot, the highlights, and the background of the movie. You have a gift for description.
I agree completely. I'm also still envious of all the great silent films being screened in Paris. But I can't complain too much because here we have Jackass 3.
JackFavell wrote:Gustav Von Seyfferitz has been showing up in almost every movie I've seen in the last couple of weeks!
I always like Gustav and he does appear in a lot of great films. I'm reminded of a anecdote I read about him. According to the Barry Paris biography of her, Garbo said that Gustav had asked Garbo about her penchant for not wearing a certain undergarment. Garbo then came up with a PG-rated nickname spoofing Gustav's last name.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MichiganJ wrote:
JackFavell wrote:This is why I enjoy your posts, AnnHarding. You manage in a few words to give the plot, the highlights, and the background of the movie. You have a gift for description.
I agree completely. I'm also still envious of all the great silent films being screened in Paris. But I can't complain too much because here we have Jackass 3.
Thanks for the compliment! :) Actually, the Cinémathèque shows silents irregularly, but I cannot complain as a full season of Albatros pictures is starting tomorrow. The Albatros production company in Paris was run by Russian emigres from 1919 until 1929. They produced some fabulous pictures by Feyder, Clair, Epstein, Volkoff and Tourjansky with often Ivan Mosjoukine heading the cast. Even better, we are going to get some music! British pianist Neil Brand is playing tomorrow on Le Brasier Ardent (1923, I. Mosjoukine). Can't wait!!!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Ann Harding wrote:Actually, the Cinémathèque shows silents irregularly, but I cannot complain as a full season of Albatros pictures is starting tomorrow. The Albatros production company in Paris was run by Russian emigres from 1919 until 1929. They produced some fabulous pictures by Feyder, Clair, Epstein, Volkoff and Tourjansky with often Ivan Mosjoukine heading the cast. Even better, we are going to get some music! British pianist Neil Brand is playing tomorrow on Le Brasier Ardent (1923, I. Mosjoukine). Can't wait!!!
Sure, rub it in. And after I purposely didn't mention that we have Saw: The Final Chapter….in 3D!!!! (sigh….)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Sorry.... :oops: I think you'll have to come at some point to enjoy a few silents in Paris. :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And here I thought you were going to make a comment about Le Brasier Ardent..... The burning bra... oooh sorry. That was really reaching. :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

MichiganJ wrote:
I agree completely. I'm also still envious of all the great silent films being screened in Paris.
I concur, Christine expresses herself wonderfully and succinctly and she gets to see the most wonderful and rarest pictures in Paris. I'm also envious :wink: The Perret film and Le Brasier Ardent sound too intriguing & interesting!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Ahh! Silents. The universal language. Clara Bow, Clara Beau, Clara Bogne, Clara Boergoine, Clara Bonn, Clara Been, Clara Beniene, Clara Brow. In silent they are all the same.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
drednm

Post by drednm »

As for Gustav von Seyffertitz, I just saw him in the odd DeMille film Old Wives for New.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

drednm wrote:As for Gustav von Seyffertitz, I just saw him in the odd DeMille film Old Wives for New.
A film which also has a bear!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

ImageImage
Yesterday the Cinémathèque presented a new tinted and toned print of Le Brasier Ardent (The Burning Brazier, 1923), a film directed, scripted and played by Ivan Mosjoukine. Its storyline is very difficult to summarize as Mosjoukine created a kind of movie-UFO. A woman (Nathalie Lissenko) is having a terrifying nightmare where she is pulled towards a man (I. Mosjoukine) chained to a stake. Later in her dream, she encounters the same man in various guises. Waking up safely in her bed, she realises it was a fantasy as a result of some pulp fiction she was reading. Her husband (N. Koline) meanwhile is worried that he is losing his wife's affection. He goes to strange club where he hires a detective to get back his wife's soul. The detective Z (I. Mosjoukine) happens to be the same man she was dreaming about... The film mixes part melodrama, serial and surrealism. Its storyline is meandering but one thing is certain: Mosjoukine fills the screen with his intense charisma beautifully. Whether a begger, a bishop or a man-about-town, he is convincing in all parts. He didn't direct many films only two. The first one, L'Enfant du Carnaval (1920) is a charming bitter-sweet comedy. Le Brasier Ardent is more ambitious in its scope trying to use the latest advances in cinema at the time. La Roue was released a few months before this one and it's easy to see that film-makers adopted some of Gance's ideas quickly. The scene in a Montmartre dive where Mosjoukine plays a furious piece of music asking women to dance for a 1000 F bill is really the climax of the film. Its rapide cutting gives it a real edge. Volkoff will reuse it also for Kean (1924) with again Mosjoukine. I had so far seen the film only in B&W and this new tinted and toned print from the Belgian Cinémathèque gave it an extra glow. Unfortunately, as it often the case, the scene toned blue for night lost their contrast. But the real highlight of the evening was the piano playing by Neil Brand. The French cinémathèque has no tradition in terms of music for silents. So it was gratifying to see that many people came to the screening (whereas before I had seen the same film in complete silence in a 3/4 empty room). Brand created a great score that gave the film an irresisitible dynamic. He managed to highlight the comic and the tragic with great skill. A really enjoyable evening.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ann -

It sounds wonderful! I think they always screened silents without score back in the Henri Langlois days of the Cinematheque, from what I have read. This was something really special. A good score can enhance a movie so much.

Why did Mosjoukine only direct 2 pictures? It sounds like he was progressing well as a director.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

JackFavell wrote:Why did Mosjoukine only direct 2 pictures? It sounds like he was progressing well as a director.
I think it's because Le Brasier Ardent was failure at the box-office. The public didn't get such an avant-garde picture. Aparently, they nearly rioted in the cinema when a young Jean Renoir went to see the film in 1923. But it had an effect on him: he decided to work in pictures afterwards.

About the Langlois dogma of 'no music', you are absolutely right. But things have moved on since the 60s. The Cinémathèque is the only institution in the world showing silents in complete silence (except for a few screenings).
Last edited by Ann Harding on November 18th, 2010, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the information. It is wonderful though, that he inspired Renoir!
drednm

Post by drednm »

I watched DeMille's 1918 The Whispering Chorus, one of his best films, an intricate plot about a man who starts out imbezzling a small amount of money and paying the price for listening to his inner voices. Raymond Hatton was splendid as the man, Kathlyn Williams as the wife, Elliott Dexter as the boss, Gustav von Seyffertitz as the evil voice, Edythe Chapman as the mother, Noah Beery as a worker, and Tully Marshall as Clumley.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Ann Harding wrote:I think it's because Le Brasier Ardent was failure at the box-office. The public didn't get such an avant-garde picture. Aparently, they nearly rioted in the cinema when a young Jean Renoir went to see the film in 1923. But it had an effect on him: he decided to work in pictures afterwards.

About the Langlois dogma of 'no music', you are absolutely right. But things have moved on since the 60s. The Cinémathèque is the only institution in the world showing silents in complete silence (except for a few screenings).
Le Brasier Ardent sounds ambitious and fascinating. The whole dream part does sound very surrealistic and also cinematic. It's also interesting how quickly one can reflect an influence as you noted happened with La Roue and Mosjoukine's climax.

I wasn't aware that it was the Cinémathèque's policy to show silents without any accompaniment. Glad that Neil Brand was brought in for the evening. He performs on a number of silents out on DVD and his scores always enhance the film.