Favorite Swashbuckler!

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

One of my guilty pleasures in swashbuckling films is one from the mid-1970s starring Robert Shaw (post Sting and Jaws) called, fittingly enough, Swashbuckler.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

This isn't exactly a swashbuckler, since it isn't about pirates, but I just saw "Damn the Defiant" on DVD. it is about the British Navy in 1797, fighting the Revolutionary French fleet, and the battle scenes are as good as the one in "Captain Blood" and in color.

The plot is very good for about 2/3rd or 3/4ths of the movie and then all the dramatic tension goes out of the film. Still, if you like sailing ships blasting at each other, see "Damn the Defiant." Alec Guinness and Dirk Bogarde star.

What did you think of the recent "Master and Commander"?
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ah, feaito, that is just about the most perfect list I have seen! I really enjoy both Prisoner of Zendas as well. I have only seen Fairbank's. Sr. in The Thief of Bagdad, and I enjoyed it, but I much prefer his son, Fairbanks, Jr. His performance in Prisoner is stellar, and I really like his version of Sinbad with Maureen! And, of course, it goes without saying Power and Flynn are superb!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Garbomaniac! It's uncanny that you mention "Sinbad the Sailor" because I just watched it last week! Good tongue-in-cheek swashbuckler! Fairbanks Jr. is very good and so are Walter Slezak, Alan Napier, Tony Quinn, George Tobias and of course, lovely Maureen.

Now I'd really like to watch Doug Jr. in "The Exile" (which I've never seen and I've read is good) and "The Corsican Brothers", which I saw many years ago and I remember as an excellent film.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh, my gosh! I forgot about The Corsican Brothers! Yes, it is an excellent film and representation of Fairbanks, Jr.'s talent. Gee, I don't think anyone ever plays it. I saw it years ago, too. I guess I can try to buy it through Amazon.

Now, Exile I don't know. Is that a swashbuckler, too? Anything with him is great. One of my favorites is Woman of Affairs with Garbo. He plays her brother. He is so young and very talented. Of course, I am very impressed with his pedigree! Ha!
feaito

Post by feaito »

"The Exile" is a 1947 sawshbuckler regarded as "highly stylized" by William K. Everson (in his book "Love in the Film") that was directed by the masterful Max Ophuls, prior to "Letter from an Unknown Woman", his acknowledged American masterpiece. In it Doug plays Charles II and meets and falls in love with a lovely Dutch farm girl (played by Paule Croset aka Rita Corday). Maria Montez is also in it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Your bits about The Exile have really piqued my interest---I've enjoyed the Max Ophuls films I've seen so far but I've never heard of that one.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:Your bits about The Exile have really piqued my interest---I've enjoyed the Max Ophuls films I've seen so far but I've never heard of that one.
I'm glad MissGoddess. If there are more people aware of its existence and interested in watching it, maybe Universal will eventually release it on DVD. Let's hope!
vallo

Post by vallo »

Speaking on tongue in cheek swashbuckler's I add The Crimson Pirate and The Flame and the Arrow. Both with Burt Lancaster and Nick Cravat.
There was talk years ago that Burt wanted to do a sequel with Nick and himself playing the same roles. But, as old pirates. That may have been fun. (Too Bad they didn't do it)

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like that Avatar, Vallo. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I like your avatar too, vallo. At one time that photo was a good representation of the old and the new, but that was when the gauntlet was being passed on to nearly equal up and comers.

I also wanted to mention, even with his corny accent, Yul Brynner (with hair) was pretty fine as Jean Lafitte - The Buccaneer :oops:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
vallo

Post by vallo »

Thanks Ladies..

I too thought Yul looked good after joining "The Hair Club For Men"

Now-a days, Bald is the Norm.

vallo
Last edited by vallo on August 28th, 2007, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I want to see The Buccaneer again! I remember thinking Yul was pretty hot stuff! Hair or no hair, I love him.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have enjoyed both versions of "The Buccaneer". From what I remember, the 1958 film is more lavish and colorful (obviously, because it was shot in color :wink: ), but I feel that the 1938 version is superior. Maybe it's because Fredric March is such a favorite of mine.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched "Captain Horatio Hornblower" on DVD. It was okay. The ship vs. ship battle was well-handled, but I didn't think the plot was well-structured.

However, I did like Gregory Peck, and the scene in which the camera tracks away from him as he watches Virginia Mayo leave his ship to marry a man he despises is heartbreaking. That was the best part of the film to me, not the action scenes.