The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by knitwit45 »

My son spent 2 days in Amsterdam,waiting for KLM to start flying again. This after spending most of one day trying to fly out of Cologne Germany to Amsterdam. He's finally on his way, I'm sure there will be a lot of stories to hear about all the travelers....

Glad I'm staying home this year!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Fernando, I hope you and yours have a wonderful trip, and that your Christmas is a merry one!

:lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Alison and Christy, have a great Christmas too!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:My son spent 2 days in Amsterdam,waiting for KLM to start flying again. This after spending most of one day trying to fly out of Cologne Germany to Amsterdam. He's finally on his way, I'm sure there will be a lot of stories to hear about all the travelers....

Glad I'm staying home this year!
Hope he gets home safely. My brother will be flying home from Prague on Boxing day, hopefully.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Alison!

Have a wonderful time with your precious children and family. :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

We will, if my kids sleep between now and then.

Happy Christmas to you and yours Brenda.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, everyone!

Merry Christmas! I hope each of you has a blessed holiday filled with every good thing possible.

Nancy

and here's a tasty recipe:

Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality.
Check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the

highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter
in a large fluffy bowl.
Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another
cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup
of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry
it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves
a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice

and strain your nutts.

Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can
find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the
Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.

Cherry Mistmas ! Ole!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chery Missmas to you too. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Knitty,

I ha-ha-ha-ve ha-ha-had those klookies befloor. They're muy goodioso!

Hics to you,
ChiO
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

and a Bingle Jells to one and all~!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

The past year has been quite busy for me, which explains my lack of posting in recent months. I started out the year unemployed and wondering how in heaven's name I was going to get my foot in the door in a new company. Making things worse, the past couple of years had been pretty discouraging overall - I'd had some truly bad experiences with home, work, and school that really shot my self-confidence to hell.

In the spring I decided I'd had enough of submitting resume after resume and just waiting for people to call, so I started volunteering with local organizations. I did some work for the local chapter of the American Red Cross and, in the summer, the director of the chapter offered me a position as their VISTA volunteer, helping to set up small offices in low-income counties surrounding the chapter county (some with unemployment as high as 15%). I took the position and started in September, having no idea how I was going to do the job. And, if I may toot my own horn (after all, if I don't blow it, who will), I was able to secure donated office space in a few counties and help AmeriCorps volunteers in those counties establish Red Cross presences. Meanwhile, I continued to work on another master's in Human Resource Development from Clemson University.

A few weeks ago, I received a call from a government agency here in town and, to make a long story short, two weeks ago I accepted a one-year temporary appointment as a Human Resources Assistant. It's not a secure job, but the opportunities for advancement are plentiful, and I'm maintaining good thoughts. I spoke with the American Red Cross and my sponsoring organization (Volunteer WV) and they allowed me to leave my VISTA service early with no ill will. I'm still volunteering with the Red Cross by helping edit press releases and write volunteer job descriptions to be posted on different websites, so I'm giving them some extra help while gaining more experience.

So while the year opened up on a not-so-cheery note, I will be having a pretty good Christmas with regard to my job situation. Sadly, our family also received word that another family that we knew here in town suddenly lost their 16-year-old daughter to a virus that attacked the girl's heart (we're unsure at this point as to the exact illness), and that along with not having my grandparents here for Christmas will definitely make the holidays a difficult time. But I did want to let everyone know that as far as the job situation, things had gotten a bit better, and as I will be spending some time with friends as well, I realize I have so much more than so many do.

Hoping that everyone else enjoys a blessed and happy holiday season.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Aw, best of luck to you! 2011 will be better!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

srowley75 wrote:The past year has been quite busy for me, which explains my lack of posting in recent months. I started out the year unemployed and wondering how in heaven's name I was going to get my foot in the door in a new company. Making things worse, the past couple of years had been pretty discouraging overall - I'd had some truly bad experiences with home, work, and school that really shot my self-confidence to hell.

In the spring I decided I'd had enough of submitting resume after resume and just waiting for people to call, so I started volunteering with local organizations. I did some work for the local chapter of the American Red Cross and, in the summer, the director of the chapter offered me a position as their VISTA volunteer, helping to set up small offices in low-income counties surrounding the chapter county (some with unemployment as high as 15%). I took the position and started in September, having no idea how I was going to do the job. And, if I may toot my own horn (after all, if I don't blow it, who will), I was able to secure donated office space in a few counties and help AmeriCorps volunteers in those counties establish Red Cross presences. Meanwhile, I continued to work on another master's in Human Resource Development from Clemson University.

A few weeks ago, I received a call from a government agency here in town and, to make a long story short, two weeks ago I accepted a one-year temporary appointment as a Human Resources Assistant. It's not a secure job, but the opportunities for advancement are plentiful, and I'm maintaining good thoughts. I spoke with the American Red Cross and my sponsoring organization (Volunteer WV) and they allowed me to leave my VISTA service early with no ill will. I'm still volunteering with the Red Cross by helping edit press releases and write volunteer job descriptions to be posted on different websites, so I'm giving them some extra help while gaining more experience.

So while the year opened up on a not-so-cheery note, I will be having a pretty good Christmas with regard to my job situation. Sadly, our family also received word that another family that we knew here in town suddenly lost their 16-year-old daughter to a virus that attacked the girl's heart (we're unsure at this point as to the exact illness), and that along with not having my grandparents here for Christmas will definitely make the holidays a difficult time. But I did want to let everyone know that as far as the job situation, things had gotten a bit better, and as I will be spending some time with friends as well, I realize I have so much more than so many do.

Hoping that everyone else enjoys a blessed and happy holiday season.
I'm so glad that your year has turned around and that from your own hard work and determination you have secured a position, I'm sure from this you will step on to other opportunities. My heart goes out to you about the 16 year old, her poor family, I'm going to church soon and will say a prayer.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am so happy to read that things are looking up for you, Mr. Rowley!! I was hoping and praying that all your hard work and efforts would pay off. This is wonderful news. You really made my day. Thanks for posting it here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks