Sunny Side Up on TCM...?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
pvitari

Sunny Side Up on TCM...?

Post by pvitari »

Looks like TCM might be scheduling Sunny Side Up, the 1929 Fox musical with Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor, for a screening at 8 p.m. EST on December 21.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=12/1/2010

The schedule however, shows it airing at 8 p.m. EST and the next movie (Swing Time) at 9:30 so something is not right. Sunny Side Up is longer than two hours and in fact the TCM listing has it as 121 mins. I hope they figure it out. And that they do indeed broadcast Sunny Side Up as this is an absolutely delightful early musical. The new restoration was a big hit at the TCM Classic Film Festival.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Sunny Side Up on TCM...?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I agree I loved Sunnyside Up, I hope they get their listings right.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've been dying to see this one for years. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Just a reminder that Sunny Side Up will air on TCM on December 21. Right now it's scheduled for 8-10 p.m. EST but set your recorders several minutes to run several minutes extra at least. The movie is definitely longer than 2 hours by a minute or so and you don't want to miss the end, do you? ;)
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Wow, how much fun was this movie! Someone forgot to give director David Butler the memo that for early Hollywood talkies the camera had to be anchored in one spot and never move. Did you see that opening sequence? And how adorable is Janet Gaynor? This is my first Gaynor talkie, and I must admit, her high voice threw me a bit. From Sunrise, etc., my mind's ear had her sounding more like Norma Shearer, but instead she's a bit more like Helen Kane (although the "boop-oop-a-doops" are reserved for the kids' song). Terrific early talkie!
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kevin,

:? I wish that TCM could have run the new Museum Of Modern Art restoration as screened at the TCM Classic Film Festival this past April. That is what allot of us more or less had expected to see premier, and it turned out to be the same tired old print as usual. I hope they will have the new transfer eventually.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I wish that TCM could have run the new Museum Of Modern Art restoration as screened at the TCM Classic Film Festival this past April. That is what allot of us more or less had expected to see premier, and it turned out to be the same tired old print as usual. I hope they will have the new transfer eventually.

Gagman, I had the same exact reaction. That was NOT what I saw at the TCM fest!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Jeffrey,

I, too, hope that they are able to get the restoration in 2011. As I noted to you in post about this very subject at TCM City, the film was restored by MOMA who was a partner at the Film Festival. MOMA has not yet had the funds to make a digital master of the restored print for broadcast.

Hopefully, that will happen in 2011. And as MOMA is a partner with TCM at the Film Festival, there will probably be an announcement when the digital master airs as that is usually one of the perks of partnerships.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have to confess, I couldn't watch the movie after about 15 minutes. It sounded like Mickey and Minnie Mouse were dubbing Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. ugh. Am I forfeiting my SSO membership??? Hope not, but this one just set my teeth on edge.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

While I really enjoyed Sunny Side Up, I know that I'll never "hear" Sunrise the same ever again.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS