*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I remember reading Pola's book and she claimed to have been born on 31st Dec 1899.

Does anyone know why James Stewart and Cary Grant are wearing aprons in the above picture? I can't remember a scene from the film with aprons.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alison, I looked up Pola Negri's bios again and found at least 6 different birth dates for the lady. However her grave stone concurs with you:

I believe that Hepburn, Grant & Stewart are doing a radio show version of "The Philadelphis Story", and clowning around.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Tim Holt and Olivia de Havilland view photographs between scenes
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

ANNE FRANCIS (1930 - 2011) R.I.P.
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe & Alison,

It is somewhat of a shock to me to see Pola Negri and Marion Davies pictured on the same birthdate.
While I know for sure Marion never lied about her birthdate, the same cannot be said for Pola.
We always celebrated her birthday on December 31st but the year kept changing.....
Once in London, I heard her clearly telling a press conference that she was born in 1912; this would have made her 2 in her film debut!!!!
I think she gave December 1899 as her birth when she became an American citizen and is buried with that date.
However, the Polish government unearthed her birth certificate in the 90's and January 3, 1897 is what it says.

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, it's good to know that I had the date right for her birthday today. So she actually was 90 when she past away, bless her.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Deborah Kerr watches husband Anthony Bartley wrangle spaghetti in Rome
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:ANNE FRANCIS (1930 - 2011) R.I.P.
Hey, that's not just Anne Francis -- that's Honey West! Honey West and her pet Ocelot. She dazzled us kids on her weekly television show. But the most haunting television image of Anne Francis was her stint in The Twilight Zone episode of the confused woman who discovers she's locked in a closed department store. R.I.P. Anne Francis.
charliechaplinfan

mongoII wrote:Alison, I looked up Pola Negri's bios again and found at least 6 different birth dates for the lady. However her grave stone concurs with you:

I believe that Hepburn, Grant & Stewart are doing a radio show version of "The Philadelphis Story", and clowning around.
I think that's he date Pola gave out but I think you are also right with the 3rd January, that's probably the correct date but the 31st Dec 1899 sounded better for Pola's purposes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
BARBARA RUSH is 84 today

STERLING HOLLOWAY (1905 - 1992)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Joe & Alison,

It is somewhat of a shock to me to see Pola Negri and Marion Davies pictured on the same birthdate.
While I know for sure Marion never lied about her birthdate, the same cannot be said for Pola.
We always celebrated her birthday on December 31st but the year kept changing.....
Once in London, I heard her clearly telling a press conference that she was born in 1912; this would have made her 2 in her film debut!!!!
I think she gave December 1899 as her birth when she became an American citizen and is buried with that date.
However, the Polish government unearthed her birth certificate in the 90's and January 3, 1897 is what it says.

Larry
I missed your post previously, this would explain the difference. I don't usually remember stars birthdates but Pola's was so memorable when I read her biography.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Jennifer Jones, Tab Hunter and Peggy Lee collect their Audie Awards in 1955
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Eddie and Debbie blissful before the poop hit the fan
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45