September 2010 Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
movieman1957
Administrator

September 2010 Schedule

Post by movieman1957 »

Somehow we missed this one. (I think.)

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=9/1/2010

Any suggestions for something good and different this month? There are those that everyone knows and then the quiet gems that only a group like this can suggest.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: September 2010 Schedule

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks. Your first paragraph is exactly what I wanted. (I am more familiar with the most of the other films.) I like "The Violent Men." I also recently saw "Act of Violence" and it is a pretty tough story. It is worth a look.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Edna Mae Oliver is fantastic.... it doesn't get any better than that.

Monday the 6th, I'll be keeping my eyes on Crime By Night, anything with Jerome Cowan in the lead role has got to be seen.

I am really looking forward to the first three Vivien Leigh movies - Storm in a Teacup, Dark Journey and Sidewalks of London are all causing major excitement at our house - I haven't seen two of them in years and the third I have never seen at all.

Cornered Dick Powell really loses it in this one!He plays it right on the edge and is quite good.

The Men Who Made the Movies installment with Raoul Walsh is just fantastic. Walsh is such a character, he left an indelible impression on me when the show first came out...

I know you are looking forward to Way Out West and Saps at Sea, Chris. Well, me too! :D

I've been waiting for the Lang/Bennett too.

Von Stroheim day looks particularly good, and the theme for Silent Sundays makes for some great movie watching - Ramon Novarro's most popular films.

I promised myself I wouldn't miss Blood on the Moon again, and I am excited to see The Arnelo Affair.. one of CineMaven's picks...

For me, the most interesting programming is the evening of Pedro Armendariz films.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As KR said, MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW is a must-see. SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR is probably my #2 Lang noir (SCARLET STREET is hard to beat). THE PROWLER is another must-see noir. And THE RISE AND FALL OF LEGS DIAMOND seems to me to be an out-of-the-ordinary (as opposed to "extraordinary") gangster movie bordering on noir. It's my favorite Boetticher movie without (cue chorus) Randolph Scott.

But don't forget JOHNNY COOL (TCM would show that two weeks after I finally snag a copy...but here's hoping for a better print).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: I promised myself I wouldn't miss Blood on the Moon again . . .
I sincerely hope you can keep that promise, Dear, because besides that fact that it's just one heckuva fine little movie, you just know that somehow, somewhere, Frank Faylen is counting on you "being there" . .
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Don't forget Viva Zapata (1952):

[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Sept. 9: Five fine films this night. GET CARTER is the one I haven't seen, but the other four are definitely worth seeing, especially for noir fans.

Sept 16: UNDERWORLD U.S.A. -- Sam Fuller. 'Nuff said. But...Robert Emhardt gives Sidney Greenstreet a run for his money as a portrayer of villainy and greed as Fuller exposes -- again -- the corruption surrounding us.

Sept. 17: COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL. Steverino and Jayne. Not the high art of HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (without Mamie and Jerry Lee, how could it be?), but fun nonetheless.

Sept. 20: Just in case someone hasn't seen them, what a day for the small independent film -- THE EXILES, SHADOWS (Cassavetes' first), and KILLER OF SHEEP (a permanent fixture in my Top 10 films of all-time). Oh, and SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR, THE PROWLER and THE RED SHOES are also being shown. Put the DV-R in overdrive!

Sept. 21: Some TCM programmer has a hallucinatory sense of fun. Immediately following KILLER OF SHEEP is the first film directed by the cinematographer of Timothy Carey's THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER, Ray Dennis Steckler (aka, when acting, Cash Flagg). Yes, it's WILD GUITAR, starring the inimitable Arch Hall, Jr. and produced by Arch Hall, Sr. (aka Nicholas Merriweather). A Frenzy of Musical Action! Smashes the Fun Barrier! Record Racket Exposed!

Sept. 24: One I haven't seen, but hope to -- THE ARNELO AFFAIR, directed by Arch Oboler of THE TWONKY fame.

Sept. 28: Some swell Westerns, but my pick-to-click (other than THE NAKED SPUR) is JOHNNY GUITAR. One can reasonably assume almost everyone has seen it at least once. See it once -- likely scratched your head if you didn't outright hate it. See it multiple times -- love it for the incredible movie it is. Maybe we can discuss it in context of the movie I think it's based on.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote: Not the high art of HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL (without Mamie and Jerry Lee, how could it be?), but fun nonetheless.

By Mamie, dost thou mean Madame Van Doren, She of the Pneumatic Mnemonics, reigning immortal as the Empress of Cashmere ?!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dear Klondike: That would be the one.

My research indicates that she is not related to Mark Van Doren and Charles Van Doren. Thought you'd like to know as you're reading poetry while watching QUIZ SHOW.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:GET CARTER is the one I haven't seen...
It's time to get acquainted. Michael Caine is mesmerizing as a hit man returning home to investigate the death of his brother.

Opening Scene:
[youtube][/youtube]

A great companion piece is Caine's noir parody, Pulp, which was made the following year (coming up in the December schedule). Don't miss either of these.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone has all day on the 22nd they are showing all 239 minutes of Greed.
Chris

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Wouldn't dream of missing it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Dear Nancy recorded THe Roman Spring of Mrs Stone for me, thank you so much, I love Vivien Leigh yet her lesser known films are hardly shown. So mesmerised was I by her perfromance I pulled down her book from my shelf and read again the pages regarding Mrs Stone. It seems that Tenneessee Williams wrote the play/script with Vivien in mind years before when Vivien was playing Blanche Dubois. Karen is losely based on Vivien and the cast is full of Viven's friends who take both large and small parts, Lotte Lenya being one in particular. Warren Beatty was desperate for the role, I don't think he's very convincing as an Italian, Alain Delon was tested but Vivien said no as he was prettier than her. The ending, I suposse is open to interpretation, I preferred to think that she was accepting another lover, perhaps this one would be kinder although I didn't miss the something in his clothes, Tennessee's ending it seems was her murder, the guy never seemed that frightening.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin