The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: The whiny thread

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you so much, kind words always work wonders.

I got a diagnosis today, after 3 months of trying to get rid of what I've got. The relapse means it is Post Viral Syndrome, also known here as ME, chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm not sure if it's the same name in the US. I had it before years ago, it's a medical condition which has no answers, nobody knows what causes it and nobody knows how to treat it. There's no medicine to take, exercise has no effect. Rest, plenty of rest, not always easy and what I've been doing for 3 months. There's been lots going on here and Libby's health hasn't helped my recovery. I could be in for the long haul or it might clear up in a matter of weeks. Best to look on the bright side.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chronic fatigue syndrome is known in this country. I have someone close to me who has had it in the past and it was triggered by a long bout of cancer (gone 5+ years now, Thank God). Apparently, the shock to the system that was necessary to combat the disease may have left this sort of legacy, but some time after treatment stopped the body seems to be trying to conserve energy while it continues to heal. It took time but hopefully it will only be a memory for you eventually. Though I wish you were feeling far friskier, I am so glad that you have a diagnosis that may be of help in soothing your body and help you to get back to your sweet and sassy self.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Thank you Moira.

I really am quite an upbeat person most of the time. I was unlucky enough to get struck down by this in the past and am more open to getting it again. I had a viral infection at the end of September but because it was my daughter's birthday and she had a couple of parties (one family one friends) I soldiered on thinking nothing more about it. A couple of weeks later I was struck down by symptoms but aftera couple of days rest I decided to walk to school for fresh air to pick the kids up and fainted. That was back in October, since then I've taken it easy, I was off work until just before Christmas when I went back on reduced hours but no one was willing to put a name to my illness, it wasn't as bad as my previous exprience with the illness, so I put it to the back of my mind. Before I went back to work Libby was hospitalised twice, it probably hasn't helped because I've been in and out of the pharmacy buying remedies for small ailments for myself which I wouldn't usually suffer from. I thought I was on the up, had a brilliant day at work on Tues only to wake on Weds and literally I couldn't move at all, when eventually I got moving hubby had to help me. I'm not as bad as many who have this disease, my best friend has suffered for over a year with no improvement, I hope my determination can make a difference, I have a young family that need me and to my small children I look fine, most days I can get them to school then come back and collapse on the sofa. Recently I'd been getting better, I'd watched The King's Speech and then went down hill.

In truth what bothers me is work, I love work and need to work to pay the bills. I love the people I work with, they are friends and I am very much a people person. Iam struggling to fulfill my commitment to them. I hope I can get along and keep going, the fact I'm there hel[s immeasurably.

Libby's tests (MRI AND EEG) came back clear, thank goodness, she now needs a sleep EEG to see if there is anything showing in her sleep patterns.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

I haven't been on here in awhile, and it wasn't until I got your email today that I realized how ill you've been. I had another friend who had Fibromyalgia years ago.
The symptoms are somewhat similar except that with Fibromyalgia, it's combined with muscle and connective tissue pain. She was a single parent then and working
full time, and absolutely collapsing on the weekends.

My heart goes out to you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you! You looked great in July! I know you've had quite a few illnesses, but one would never guess
by looking at you.

I know you'll hang in there, and do the right things. You're very smart to boot.
Let me know if I can help some how in any way.

Much Love,

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for the update on Libby too, Alison. The stress from all this certainly isn't helpful to you, though if positive thoughts from people you've never met means anything, your personal and family circumstances will, I hope, be looking up soon.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

God bless you Alison. You've had a hard year. I'm glad you are sharing with us. It hurts to see someone in our family suffering. We'll continue praying for you.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

I'm having a sofa day today, getting my resources together to pick up the kids and go to work tomorrow. Your kind words do me a world of good.

My parents keep chipping in with useful observations, usually I'm doing too much, I'm doing what needs doing, feeding the family, doing the laundry and keeping the house in some kind of working order. Of course I need to work just to bring in what used to be the extra for treats but these days is needed for petrol and food. Mum doesn't know why I should work which annoys hubby so much, as she thinks he should pull all the burden. Truth is, even if he earned enough for us to live really well, I'd still want to go out to work. I enjoy it and if you put a bit in the pot you don't feel guilt for having an occasional treat.

I don't look any different Brenda, I look fine, which confuses people all the more. When I'm really bad I look a bit pale and tired and a bit older.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

All my problems are small potatoes compared to what many of you who've posted here have had to contend with, but if you could, please say a brief prayer for me. After 12 years, my dear old faithful Chevy Cavalier is a goner as of this morning. It would take over $2k to fix everything just to get it to pass inspection and it already has over 149,000 miles on it as well as serious rust issues. My family has a lead on another 2006 car with only 60k miles on it and an assumable payment plan that we could mutually swing. If I lived in an area with good public transportation and didn't have to go all over the county for medical appts., etc., I'd live without an auto, but I really need this to survive. Just send those positive brain waves and tender thoughts to:
Moira Needs a Car
Box Hopeful But Worried
Loserville, USA

Thanks for listening to my revolting whine. We now return you to our regularly scheduled kvetching.:wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Good luck Moira. My children's cars are still running but we wonder for how long.

P.S. Loservile. That's funny I live in Loserburg.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks very much, Chris. I guess we live in sister cities. Apropos of this...how about a round of Here's to the Losers!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It is. I can't even play it. It has been blocked on copyright issues.

But look. I'm on the left and you are with Gable.
Chris

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Best of luck Moira! When my car was totalled last year, I had to find one in three days as that was all that was covered on my rental.
2008 Hyundai, low payments, good warranty. Everything will work out! :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:It is. I can't even play it. It has been blocked on copyright issues.
Oops. I changed it. You should be able to see it now via the link.
movieman1957 wrote:But look. I'm on the left and you are with Gable.
Yeah, right. In my dreams!
silentscreen wrote:Best of luck Moira! When my car was totalled last year, I had to find one in three days as that was all that was covered on my rental. 2008 Hyundai, low payments, good warranty. Everything will work out! :D
Thanks, so much. It's good to hear that you are please with a Hyundai, since that is what it looks as though we are going to be lining up. I like to believe things will work out too. Sometimes they do, too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Allison, take care and know that I am saying prayers for you, too. I know that your illness makes many simple tasks sometime monumentally difficult, and I am grateful that you have loved ones near you.

Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Moira, I send you my best vibes and wish you the best of lucks.

I don't drive and use public transportation (subway) -thank God I don't need a car for coming to work-. I bought a car for my wife to drive in September 2000, and we still have it and it only has 33,000 Kms....which is nothing for almost 11 years of "use"....my wife walks everyday (30 minutes) to her workplace....we use it very little....the traffic here is quite unnerving...BTW, it's a Hyundai and it's been a very good choice.