What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
feaito

Re: What are you reading?

Post by feaito »

Hi Lynn,

I'm so sorry to hear that...because I'm moving through the book like "molasses" and I generally enjoy all kinds of cinema-related books and Bios. In fact the last cinema-related book I read was Ann Harding's Bio by Scott O'Brien and it was a page-turner. Loved it.

Well, afterwards I have Scott's Bios on Kay Francis and Virginia Bruce to read.... :wink:
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Just finished "The Old Curiousity Shop" by Dickens and started "Innocents Abroad" by Twain. I added a BBC series production of "The Old Curiousity Shop" to my Netflix queue to compare and contrast. Gosh, I love my nook. :D
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Dickens and I love The Old Curiosity Shop, that kind of reading went out of the window when I had the kids but one day, I'll be reading them again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm finishing Scott O'Brien's Bio on Virginia Bruce "Under My Skin", another entertaining -and informative- read!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just finished reading Patton's Ghost Corps - by Nathan N. Prefer - this book deals with Patton's XX Corps that was left alone to fight the Germans along the Siegfried Line on its own. This is a very gripping book that deals with the struggles that XX Corps being left alone to attack Army Group D - commanded by General Blaskowitz. - A force made up hard nosed Veterans of the German Elite - the infamous SS and remaining rag-tag veterans of the Eastern Front as well.

Very well written and I love reading books on General Patton.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Is anybody reading now, or has read Eat, Pray Love? I'm still working my way through it and find it hard to understand the great furor it caused as being such a fine book about finding yourself. Maybe I'm very, very dense, but just getting through the first 50 pages was hard. I could not get into her emotions. It might be the age span, because what seems highly important to some people makes me say "what do they want?" So perhaps I 'just don't get it', but I keep pecking away.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Two thirds of the way through Nigel Tranter's "A Rough Wooing", chronicling the latter half of the reign of Scotland's King James V, the rise of Cardinal Davie Beaton as the nation's first papal legate, the arrival of Mary, who would be proclaimed the new Queen just one week after being born (& one day after James' demise), and the surviving Scottish court's desperate campaign to keep their country strong, independent & Catholic.
Great stuff, and I can't help but think that it's a shame that Shakespeare felt the life & times of James V was too recent to make for a suitably popular historical drama.
Or maybe, ol' Bill the Bard just felt that "MacBeth" was as Scottish as he ever wanted to get! :roll:
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm reading Simon Louvish's Bio on Mae West, "It Ain't No Sin", so far fine.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

Thanks so much for sending me "Lucky Stars" for my birthday! Despite being rush-rush during the cruise with excursions and two very hyper cruisemates, :) I read the first
three chapters by the pool the last day. I've really enjoyed it thus far! It has lots of nice pictures as well. I'll make it a goal to read a chapter a day.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I am reading (!!) "The Ephesus Fragment" by Gary Parker. It's kind of a spy thriller, without spies. The basic premise is that an over the hill archeologist discovers a portion of a parchment scroll, supposedly written by John the Beloved apostle, about the life of Mary, after the death and resurrection of Jesus. Everyone and his brother wants the scroll, for wildly different reasons, and murder and mayhem ensue. I am still not sure if I like this or not, the author is bringing in so many bad guys, one needs a flow chart to keep up.
charliechaplinfan

You're welcome Brenda, I'm glad you like it, I was sure you would. It's well researched and lovingly put together.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm reading William Shatner's memoir Up Till Now and thoroughly enjoying it.

It's a lot like I'd imagine Shatner to be: intelligent, energetic, very funny, and very long on ego (although there are a few glimmers of insight here and there). His self-mocking digressions into sales pitches for merchandise available on his website is hilarious.
charliechaplinfan

I once read one of his boolks, name dropping, ego mania but I couldn't help but really like him, which wasn't what his colleagues on Star Trek thought about him. Much of the book (it was a long time ago) was how he didn't understand why they didn't really like him.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I once read one of his boolks, name dropping, ego mania but I couldn't help but really like him, which wasn't what his colleagues on Star Trek thought about him. Much of the book (it was a long time ago) was how he didn't understand why they didn't really like him.
Yes, he says essentially the same in this one, only he does admit that he may have been a bit overbearing with his colleagues. I took my daughter to a Star Trek convention when she was younger, and we saw Nichelle Nichols, who, when asked about Shatner, damned him with some very faint praise and left-handed compliments. It was very skillfully done, and I got the impression that the diehard fans didn't even notice the implied slam.

This book maintains a nice sense of humor, which signals to the reader that the content is to be taken with a grain of salt, but still he wouldn't mind it at all if you admired him as well. And yes, he is charming, even in print.