Harry Potter

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

Harry Potter

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, I'll take a plunge here and ask if anyone here enjoys "Harry Potter," either the novels or the films or both.

I enjoy both.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Love the books. I may be charged with murder if someone gives away the ending to the last book before I get to read it. I won't be attending any launch events, but will be waiting anxiously for the book to arrive. I am of the camp that Snape is a good guy, working undercover for Dumbledore, and also that D is NOT dead....

How about you?

And I really like the movies, mostly seeing the children grow up in front of us, all young adults now.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The films are actually pretty true to the books. The first time you see the Hogwart's Express, and the school itself, is pure magic. I love the fantasy of the stories, and how they take reality, and twist it just enough for you to say, "OH!".

Maybe Harry is an acquired taste, but to be honest..I'm just wild about Harry!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like the novels and the movies.

It's funny how my family got into it. My daughter (who was about 7 back then) had a friend who was a real Harry Potter fanatic. "You have to read Harry Potter" she told my daughter, who was utterly turned off by this hard sell. (The friend has since moved to another state.)

Then my son, who was about six, got interested in the toys that came out before the first movie. So I ended up taking my children to see the first movie. We liked it, including my daughter, and then started reading the books.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mike, I was on a flight to Chicago, and was sitting across the aisle from a young man around 10 who was reading the scecond book. When he looked up, I asked him if the book was good, and he launched into a 5 minute discourse on muggles and wizards and BertieBotts everyflavor jelly beans. His mom looked at me and said "I've never been able to get him interested in books before. Now he reads all the time! It's wonderful!".

His enthusiasm was so pure and very contagious, that I got the first book. I've been hooked ever since.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I am a confirmed Potter-aholic. I picked up the first two books from the SciFi book club back in 1999 and never looked back. I got the final one Saturday morning and told my family I was unavailable for the rest of the day. (And they respected that--I had 10 straight hours of peace in which to indulge my obsession--thanks family!)

As for the movies, I'm not crazy about them, except for the third one--"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." Alfonso Cueron managed to preseve the humor and whimsy of the books without sacrificing too much action. The other movies tend to do the opposite--sacrifice the humor and whimsy for action and special effects. Even my explosion-obsessed son likes the third movie best...

Anyway, I'm sad the series is complete. I hope that JRK someday revisits Hogwarts and magical England--she did (cleverly?) leave herself some wiggle room for a new series.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I got to read the last book with no interruptions, save for letting the dog out and in and out (that's my weekend job, let the dog in, let the dog out)

Anyway, it is a great book, lots of resolution, tidying up loose ends, etc. I am rather desolate that there will be no more books to anticipate, but I agree, she did leave herself some wiggle room. Teddy & Victoire? Rose and James?
H'mmmmmmmmm