Best Acceptance Speech

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Best Acceptance Speech

Post by knitwit45 »

Looking at Mongo/Joe's spotlight on Geraldine Page reminded me of another awards evening, and the best acceptance speech I have ever heard.

Barbara Stanwyck won an Emmy for the best female lead performance (or however they were wording it at that time) in The Thornbirds. She accepted the award gracefully, but then pointed to Ann-Margaret, also a nominee for a movie called Who Will Love My Children?. Miss Stanwyck said "this is an honor, but there sits the woman who should have won this." Ann-Margaret looked dumbstruck, and burst into tears. As I recall, they both got a standing ovation. What a gracious lady!

I searched for the actual acceptance speech, this is the closest as I recall (it was 24 years ago!)

Do you have any special memories of awards ceremonies? Funny, moving, weird, whatever.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I also remember that speech that Stanwyck gave that evening. I couldn't help but think that coming from Stanwyck, it was probably worth more to Ann-Margret than the Emmy Award itself.
Joseph Goodheart