Damages

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Damages

Post by mrsl »

I caught Glenn Close on Leno last night and learned she is starring in a TV serial on the FX station on Tuesday nights, at 10:00, (probably 9:00 CST). Although I'm not mad about her, I do admit she's a fine actor, and one of our best, so when she lends her talents to TV as have Keifer Sutherland, and Kyra Sedgewick, I kind of think it might be worth checking into. The trailer looks interesting. I guess she plays a D.A. who doesn't always follow the book. So I'm looking forward to seeing it - Now I just have to find what number the FX channel is, since I don't really care for Keifer, I don't watch it much.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hello,

The last couple of weeks, I've been listening to Jude Cole's album "I Don't Know Why I Act This Way". Jude Cole and Kiefer Sutherland are friends and Mr. Cole invited Kiefer to sing a duet on one of the I Don't Know Why I Act This Way's songs. Is it possible gravely voiced Kiefer Sutherland can carry a tune? Well, yes...and no. He sings the same way Rex Harrison sings My Fair Lady. But, you know what? Sutherland and Cole "harmonizing" works nicely...in the context of their song. A good song. In fact, a good album of songs.

Rusty
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Johnm:

I've heard "24" was great TV but I don't know why I never got into it. It must coincide with something else I've watched. But I can tell you, I don't like Keifer any more than I do his dad, and groan when I see either of their names on credit listings.

In any case, I watched "Damages" and if it keeps the calibre of this first show up, it should be a fantastic hour every week. I only wish it were on one of the movie channels so it could be commercial free. That's one of the things that really irritates me about cable/satellite - the commercials. We pay the humongous cable/satellite bills, and I don't understand why commercials are on all but a few channels - makes me more tolerant of TCM.

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I came late to 24 (last year with with Gregory Itzin as the President and Jean Smart as the First Lady) but thanks to my dad, he got me hooked on it. It was a kick butt season.

This season was okay but not as good. However, I am looking forward to the upcoming season. We got my dad the first four seasons on DVD and will probably borrow them at some point to get caught up.

Keifer does a great job on the show and the supporting characters are quite good too.

Anne,

Thanks so much for drawing attention to Damages. Because of your post, I watched it tonight and am really looking forward to how this story plays out.

After watching Zeljko Ivanek on Homicide and Oz, it is odd to hear him with a southern accent.

I really enjoyed the pilot. I thought I knew where the story was going but by the end of the episode I was wrong.

Loving Glenn Close and Ted Danson and the girl who plays Ellen.

Thank you again!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Next week I'm going to have to pay attention to who the writers are of 'Damages'. They are certainly keeping my interest. Like lzcutter, you think you know what is happening, then all of a sudden, a twist takes you in a whole new direction. If they keep this up, it should become a highly popular and rated TV show.

My question is however, where are these writers for movies? George Lopez was on The View the other day and stated that reality shows are ruining what good TV we had. Writers are all going to cable stations because the networks don't want to pay for actors, writers, directors, etc. talents. The problem is that the American people tune in to this junk. How can anyone prefer to hear and see a show like American Idol over a good mystery, drama, or comedy after a long day of working? Or who wants to see a bunch of fat people sweating it out to see who loses the most weight in so many weeks? Or how many houses can you see rebuilt before wondering "What about me?" When I was working, I wanted to relax after dinner, not get keyed up over the real problems of everyday life - I had my own, for petes sake, and I certainly didn't need to see some English Big Mama telling little Johnny to be a good little man or he would sit in the 'bad boy' seat for 5 minutes.

So what happens? Writers, and actors go over to cable and instead of getting intelligent entertainment on network channels, we now pay extra on our cable or satellite bill to absorb the new paychecks, where if we had turned off that junk - it would still be on free T.V. because what have we earned? Larger bills, and still have to contend with commercials. We are a really intelligent nation. - But then we proved that in the voting booths in 2004 didn't we?

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I'll post later about your writer question but I just wanted to let you know that I am loving this show and had it not been for your heads up, I never would have discovered it.

Thanks again for alerting me to a show with intelligent writing, directing and acting.

For the record, I just discovered House as well.

Color me red-faced.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter:

You're in big trouble!!! House will make you crazy! I took a couple of months off from it - it's that trying. For re-runs, look at USA network, on Friday and Saturday night, 10:00 central, so I don't know what it would be for you.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

lzcutter:

Are you still watching Damages? It's making me NUTS!!!! But they said in the voice over of next weeks' show that the pieces will start coming together now. I sure hope so, they keep going off, and I'm ready to screech.

Anne
Anne

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

So Lynn, are you still up on DAMAGES? At least this week you got a definite answer to your question about Greg and Ray, and Peter Riegert is worming his way in there too. But OMG, you don't know who to trust, believe, or even listen to. Everybody keeps turning you around!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this show to be absolutely fascinating!

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I keep saying everytime I think I know where it is going, it twists in another direction.

So, I guess Ray just like the cut of Gregory's jib but never followed through.

And what is Peter Reigert trying to accomplish? Are Ray, Reigert and Patty all working together to bring down Arthur?

And what did Patty and Ellen do that went too far? I'm pretty confident stalking girl (lila) did in David but other than that I'm still trying to figure out who attacked Ellen at Patty's house and why is Patty running away from all of this?

Lastly, I was glad to see that Gregory Malina was able to redeem himself before taking Coco out for a walk.

Can't wait for next week. There's only got to be four or five episodes left!

Thank you so much for bringing this show to my attention!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

So, who is taking pictures of Ellen and George?

Who left their blood on the white coral?

Who was killed at Patti's place?

Where is Patti?

I know all these and more questions will be answered in forthcoming weeks, but they sure are making it hard on a guy!!!

Anne
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

So, who is taking pictures of Ellen and George?>>

Possibly Ray hired someone to follow George or Patty hired someone to follow Ellen. Every once in awhile I get this fleeting feeling that Patty and Ray are working in cahoots.

Who left their blood on the white coral?>>
Probably either Ellen's or the dead guy. Whoever cleaned up (possibly the guy in the ill-fitting doorman's outfit) missed that.

Who was killed at Patti's place?>>
The guy who attacked Ellen. After Ellen and David had their big blow out fight where Ellen takes off the engagement ring, she goes to Patty Hewes place. They talk and drink. We have seen some of these scenes in the flashbacks, one from last week where they mention if maybe they went to far. But we still don't know what that refers to. Maybe taking down George and he wants revenge.

Patty left her condo/apartment/co-op and was going to the beach house. She told Ellen to stay the night in the apt/co-op. Ellen was attacked there.
There is a drop of blood on Patty's right, white tennis shoe that indicates that Patty had more to do with the attack on Ellen than we have seen.

Where is Patti?>>

Running for her life. She has pissed someone off big time and she is likely involved in the attack on Ellen. I think she set it up. I think stalking girl (lila) is the one who killed David.

I know all these and more questions will be answered in forthcoming weeks, but they sure are making it hard on a guy!!!>>

Yes, they do. There are only three episodes left and they are not exactly advancing the attack on Ellen and David storyline as much as the Forbisher case.

Interesting that the lawyer who tipped Patty to Frobisher's wife filing for divorce is the wife's new beau.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lynn:

I'm glad you answered my questions, but actually I was trying to be rhetorical rather than inquiring. But as usual, I love your analytical mind.

Sometimes, I wonder if Tom and Ray could be in cahoots trying to unseat their 'mega-bosses'.

I saw the blood on Patti's shoe, but heck it could be Davids, Ellens, or even Stalking Girls'.

How do you know there are only three episodes left? What did I miss?

Anne
Anne