What is your "Discovery"?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
movieman1957
Administrator

What is your "Discovery"?

Post by movieman1957 »

Sometime last year as The Bride and I got ready to watch an "Inspector Lewis" it turned out we had seen it a month or two before. Looking through the Netflix catalog she pulled up a series called "Wire In The Blood." Never heard of it or anybody in it but we watched it. (BBC murder mystery with psychological profiling.)

It was really good. We got hooked. We even got some friends hooked.

So the question is - what show or movie did sit down to watch just because you had nothing better to do and had no idea what you were in for and found a gem?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Re: What is your "Discovery"?

Post by mrsl »

Since I rarely watch silent movies because it's rather hard to read sub-titles and keep count of crochet stitches, one night I did put everything aside and just watched Roshoman. Since that night, I have watched it whenever it was on TCM. I like it much better than it's counter-part The Outrage except for the constant rain on the soundtrack.I think everyone is familiar with the story of 3 different versions of the same event and how each person is affected by it. I don't want to say much because I don't want to ruin it for any newcomer.

When I saw the title of this new subject, I was excited because last night I watched something on TV and wanted to say somehting, but didn't know where to put it. Simply, and with no flourish, for any of you fellows who are so enamored by Ava Gardner, next Thursday night, at 8:00 p.m., tune in to Grey's Anatomy and check out Miss Sara Ramirez (she will be the one recovering from a car accident in a hospital bed). She is every bit as sparkling as Ava was with the same kind of dark hair, eyes, and heart shaped face. She is an absolutely beautiful girl which I have often thought, but for some reason last night the thought of Ava came to my mind and I was shocked to realize the similarity between them. I'm pretty sure that Sara, on the big screen would have the same affect on the guys in the audience that Ava used to have.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

[youtube][/youtube]

:? I just don't see it. :?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Justified!

Thanks to Klon's appreciation of this show last season, I decided to give it a try!

Boy, am I glad I did! I love it.

Mad Men

Breaking Bad

Justified

Three best written shows not on network television!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well gosh Klon; look at an episode some time where her hair is done and she is wearing make-up. But if you must use this one, remember her at the end of Showboat when Ava has touched bottom and she is watching the showboat leave.
Anne

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Dear SSO MEMBERS, I have been thinking about this for some time.

I'm very Concerned about the future of CBS ... to me, the only good shows to watch is Hawaii-Five O, the New Criminal Minds, and the Mentalist. I occasionally watch CSI Miami and CSI NY too. My discovery is this ... the way they handling their shows is very odd and very out of whack here. I tried to like Blue Bloods and Mike and Molly - but they aren't my cup of tea - because Blue Bloods is more Soap-Opera-ish and Mike and Molly, being hard of hearing - I have a hard time reading between the lines here. After watching half a dozen of these two shows - I no longer watching them.

Two Shows that stick out like sore thumbs is CSI NY and the Original Criminal Minds.

CSI NY - Ever since Melina Kanakaredes left the show and got replaced by Sela Ward - It's lost the original charm and I still continue to watch that show - but not as faithfully ... like I do in the past. Why she left? - I love the chemistry between her and Gary Sinise had on that show. Now its gone and lost its charm and edge.

Criminal Minds - Ever since A.J. Cook left and returned for 1 episode - and at the same time kill off Paget Brewster's character of Emily Prentiss off the team - in way downsizing the team - hurts its charm big time. If the show starts to decline in terms of ratings ... I feel that this show is on its last legs. I may have to watch reruns on A&E to relieve its glory days. I guess that I have to watch the new Criminal Minds instead. Now, I (Old Criminal Minds) really don't care for it.

Can anyone here can tell me what is going on with CBS moves here?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Kingme,

CBS has been on cost-cutting measures with their older shows. The older the show, the more the cast costs because every time an actor'scontract comes up for renewal they usually get more money.

Thus, Criminal Minds is forced to cut two characters, JJ and Emily. CSI Original Recipe has to cut lab tech Wendy. CSI: Miami (aka the Shades of Justice) has to cut Eddie Cibrian and Esai Morales (who would have been a terrific recurring character but the brass said cut costs). The same thing happened to Melinda at CSI: NY and thus, we get Sela Ward who is actually growing on me.

I like Blue Bloods a great deal but wish they would move away from the soap opera aspects (kidnapping Danny's wife the other night is up there with kidnapping Dano's daughter on Hawaii 5-0- don't go there unless the well of ideas is dry because it screams we have no new ideas) and will continue to watch in hopes that Tom Selleck can do for the writing room what Mark Harmon did in taking control of NCIS show a few years ago.

Aside from Big Bang Theory (I know someone who is so much like Sheldon it's crazy), I don't watch the comedy shows on CBS though I have seen infrequent eppys of How I Met Your Mother.

CBS is still a major ratings winner even though their demographic tends to skew a bit older than the usual 18-49 demographic. They find it works for them.

Hope this helps!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote:
thus, we get Sela Ward who is actually growing on me.
Sela - the name itself is from an old Copto-Hebraic word, similar in translation to hosanna, and looking at this woman causes me to want to cry forth in praise, too! I would be wildly content to sit with her on my porch all afternoon . . I'd even give her the good seat, the one with the view all the way down to the river, and I wouldn't be stingy with the lemonade, neither!
When Mrs. K is watching with me, she's fond of stating her suspicion that the winsome Ms. Ward has invested in some physical maintenance procedures of late, but I've noted that in the right light, Herself's eyes seem to flash a little green when she presents her theory.
Lzcutter wrote: I like Blue Bloods a great deal but wish they would move away from the soap opera aspects (kidnapping Danny's wife the other night is up there with kidnapping Dano's daughter on Hawaii 5-0- don't go there unless the well of ideas is dry because it screams we have no new ideas) and will continue to watch
Here's my "rescue formula" for "Blue Bloods":

1) Get back to that closet-skeleton subplot about the Blue Templars - that had just enough whiff of Dan Brown to it to be really fascinating . .
2) Stop zooming past Donny's head from the rear & showcasing that bald spot - he's dealing with severe brother-envy right now, and this does not help!
3) Show some better depictions of the piranha behavior down at 1 Police Plaza - scrappy politics offset the gritty street action nicely if the balance is right, especially if it involves the Mayor's lackeys!
4) More Jennifer Esposito !!! Why not take a look at her personal life for a change . . and the camera doesn't need to be so shy either . . her face is not only stunning, it's unique! Her voice is far from disturbing as well - so let her strut her stuff, you writers!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Selleck has taken to writing (with help) on the last and upcoming Jesse Stone films. It wouldn't hurt to let him help with "Blue Bloods." For the few episodes I've seen it wouldn't hurt to let them focus some more on Selleck, but I'm biased.

"NCIS" is still a pretty popular show. I don't really watch that much network television so I don't really know what is going on out there. I have read that CBS finally doesn't mind their audience being a little older. That is good for some of us.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Robson Green is the star of Wire In The Blood

He made is name in Casualty as a hospial porter. Brenda Fricker was also in the cast

Soldier Soldier with Jerome Flynn. By accident they sang a duet in the series and as a result had several hit records

In Reckless he was young Doctor in love with the older Francesca Annis, the wife of his boss Michael Kitchene

Recently he co-starred with Lewis star Kevin Whatley in Joe Madson's War.

He also did reality shows Extreme Fishing and Extreme Swimming
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So far "Wire" is the only thing I have Green in. There is another film I have coming just to get another side of him. He's great in "Wire." (I do miss Hermoine, "Carol Jordan," but the new DCI (?) is good too.)
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Chris

If I remember Moira has seen Green in the tv movie Christmas Lights, which was miles better than Danny Devito's version. CLs also inspired 2 season follow ups. It's a funny thing but I'm watching as I write an episode of Gordon Jackson's The Professionals with a very young Michael Kitchen as a gangland assassin,Sea Wolves actress Barbara Kellerman and from Braveheart James Cosmo

Here's another side to Robson

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter wrote:Kingme,

CBS has been on cost-cutting measures with their older shows. The older the show, the more the cast costs because every time an actor'scontract comes up for renewal they usually get more money.

CBS is still a major ratings winner even though their demographic tends to skew a bit older than the usual 18-49 demographic. They find it works for them.

Hope this helps!
I now understand why - thanks for the good recap here. Lzcutter.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I love all the opinions floating around. Klondike, Ii love your #4 about Jennifer, and would put it in Capital letters.

Perhaps Melina is being sent to a different series next season. I've seen some actors leave one show and turn up the following year on another on the same channel.

I sure am happy if CBS has finally decided that the older viewers are still here, do the other channels think teens and 20's/30's really sit and watch TV that much? I am pretty sure that the over 50 crowd sits and watches a lot more TV than the younger folk, plus the fact that all of those 20/30's will soon be in that 50 bracket. Nobody is growing younger that I know of.

I didn't realize how much of CBS I watched until the last couple of weeks with everything being pre-empted for basketball. I was at a loss, but was able to catch up on a lot of my pile of waiting DVD's. I love football, I enjoy listening to a baseball game while doing yard work, and at least Hockey is lively, but I just never got hooked on Basketball, even when Michael Jordan was at his peak. I watched a few times, but not knowing the game rules or anything, I quickly lost whatever bit of interest I had.

Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wendy's thread on Melvyn Douglas reminded me of another one. "Theodora Goes Wild." When I found it a dear friend had recorded it and asked me to watch it to see if I knew anything about it. (This is pre-imdb time for me.) It started right after the opening credits so we had no idea what it was titled. I loved it and still didn't know what it was called. Then I discovered the data base and we had our information.

In all the Irene Dunne pictures I knew this title had never come up. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but it was a real treat.
Chris