What is your "Discovery"?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
srowley75

Re: What is your "Discovery"?

Post by srowley75 »

My best answer to this question would be the Australian sitcom Mother and Son, which I caught one Saturday on PBS, but which our local station stopped airing not long after. My mother absolutely adores this series, and I like it a lot as well. I bought some Australian DVDs of the series for her one Christmas and also bought her a cheap region-free player to watch them (since then, a couple seasons of the program have become available in R1).

As far as films: Don't Drink the Water (1969) with Jackie Gleason and Estelle Parsons, which got abominable reviews but which for some reason I just find hilarious.
The North Avenue Irregulars (1979), possibly the best Disney movie of the 1970s. Sis and I have seen this at least a couple dozen times since we were kids.
My Name is Julia Ross (1945) - OK, indulge me, this is hardly an obscure title to many on this board, but it's pretty obscure to everyone else in the outside world. I've watched it with some family members, though, and so far it's been a hit each time I've brought it out. Such a great little movie, and I'm glad TCM aired it some time back.
Uncle Silas (1947) - one of the most enjoyable movies Jean Simmons ever made. Makes a great double feature with another little-seen suspense gem, So Long at the Fair (1950).
Night World (1932), a precoder that needs a DVD release (along with about 20 other Paramount/Universal titles). Hopefully Universal will someday do a follow up to their first set.
Charles Laughton in The Suspect (1944), possibly his finest performance in a film I almost totally overlooked.
The Hard Way (1943), Ida Lupino's finest two hours. So sad she didn't even earn an Oscar nod for this great performance.
Heartburn (1986) - Why can't Meryl Streep land more roles like this one? I think she delivers sarcasm beautifully (check out the trailer), but I suppose since she's considered a "thespian," it naturally follows that she's stuck doing dramas most of the time.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's great to see your posting more, Steven.

If you'd like to see some other comments previously posted on the SSO on the interesting Joseph Lewis film, My Name is Julia Ross, they can be seen here.

I am so glad that you had a chance to see The Suspect (1944). It is one of my favorite Charles Laughton movies. And Ella Raines always seems so different from the usual leading lady type to me. I wish more of Robert Siodmak's movies were on DVD or at least broadcast on TCM!

I have never seen Night World (1932) but have heard so much about it, I hope that if you have time, you will write more about it. Any movie that features Lew Ayres and Mae Clarke is okay with me, but when you throw in Boris Karloff playing a character name "Happy" MacDonald, I am so intrigued!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Mad Men" will be streaming on Netflix starting July 27. They will include the first four seasons and then new seasons after they air.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Andrew and I have very different tastes, he will end up watching sci-fi, while I will always be at TCM with classic films. He likes sitcoms as well. The only ones I really like are luckily the ones he watches:

How I Met Your Mother
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family

These all three manage to get a laugh out of me, in spite of my sulking about missing TCM.

Another show that he watches occasionally is Glee - the first time we saw it was enough to keep us coming back occasionally, one in which Neil Patrick Harris guest starred, and the boy in the wheelchair got up and danced in his dreams.

The show has not grown on me much, but it is interesting for having very diverse characters and unique, fascinating storylines that make you think. Jane Lynch is worth watching anytime - last night (I was really ticked because I wanted to watch The Major and the Minor), she blew the entire cast away in two small scenes. It was well worth having missed The M and the M to see her really act.

As for movies, Andrew forced us (well we really didn't mind going to the movies) to go see the new Tron. It started, and I thought, "Maybe I can take a nap." but I was surprised to find a really good old fashioned story, with Jeff Bridges taking a huge part (I had thought he was going to be a cameo) and special effects that actually were very cool and worked for me! Tron was excellent and I'm glad he made us go see it. I would recommend it to anyone, even non-sci-fi buffs. A really great movie.

So the long story short is - my husband actually has good taste. Maybe someday he can learn to enjoy the greatest movies ever made - all on TCM. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So the long story short is - my husband actually has good taste.
He married you.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You are an ANGEL, Chris. That is the nicest compliment I think I've ever had.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: You are an ANGEL, Chris. That is the nicest compliment I think I've ever had.
Wendy, I tried really hard to find some way to make some naughty li'l trouble over this, but there's times when even the class clown can legitimately do naught but raise his glass in salute.
Chris, you scotched the wise-guy on this one - take a bow.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Aw, shucks.
Chris

TheBride

Post by TheBride »

I think I'll keep him!
XOXOXO
[i]Last night I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I don't know.[/i]

Hugs, Carolann
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Hey, CarolAnn!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

I'm dying to know what you and Anne thought of the Blue Bloods finale last night! I have some choice words about it but would love to hear from you as well!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Dear All,

I just watched the Season finale of "Hawaii Five-O" ... and this got to be the most strangest finale for television series that I've ever seen in my life. I've never seen so much twists and turns and I have no idea what they going to do for next season. To me, I just find this episode the most bizarre (I may not be using the right word) of all time and I frankly I have no clue what in store for next season. I know I'm rambling here ... but, I just don't like it one bit. Killing off the Governor in Season One! This is totally bogus to me ... and this is not in tune with the original series.

Matter of fact, I hated it. Matter of fact ... I'm between :x and :evil: about the whole thing here. In the original series ... the Governor was on several seasons and that's makes it good and its has a trusting and everlasting relationship between the Governor and McGarrett.

Now, the Governor of the new series is dead. Five-O is no more ... what next :?:

Right now, all the shows that I watched were utterly fantastic ... but the Season Finale of the "Hawaii-Five-O" is the worst one I've ever seen in my lifetime. I just don't like too many twists and turns ... and this makes me wonder why in the world they did this.

I'm very disappointed the way the Season Concluded. Matter of fact, I'm very

1. :x
2. :evil:
3. Add 1 and 2 together, divided by 2 ... this is my tone of the Season Finale
4. :shock:
5. :?
6. And, I have many :?: of this series going to pan out :!:
7. :cry: ... this is my final feeling of how the series concluded
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I didn't see it and have seen little of the show this year but what I have seen bears little resemblance to the original series. Oh, they borrow names and locations and some of that but it's gone from there.

I did see 30 seconds of it to see Jean Smart was on and that almost made me sit down and watch except I was in the middle of something else.

Season finales have often been a disappointment for fans because I think they try too hard.
Chris

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

this is not in tune with the original series.
Nothing in the new version of Hawaii Five-O is in tune with the original.