Name the Movie by Film Score

Moraldo Rubini

Mister Mystery

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

#17 (172) is a mystery indeed. This one didn't ring a bell, but it sounds a bit like Elmer Bernstein. Am I on the right track?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Just to keep it moving, is it The Amazing Mr. Blunden?

I was going to guess The Lion In Winter, but it wasn't scored by Elmer Bernstein.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Was it Funny Farm directed by George Roy Hill?

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I know it looks like I'm just throwing out random guesses, but maybe I'll get lucky. :lol:

How about The Young Doctors directed by Phil Karlson?

Moraldo Rubini

Aloha?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Well, I'm going to guess Hawaii; though I don't think it was the No. 1 film of 1966 -- at least as far as box office. I believe The Bible beat out Hawaii. But Bernstein scored Hawaii for George Roy Hill, a director that he penned three scores for...
Moraldo Rubini

Que Sera Sera

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Isn't that the "Storm Cloud Cantata" from the climax of The Man Who Knew Too Much? It was conducted by Bernard Herrmann, but I believe someone else wrote the piece. Hitchcock wanted a more developed piece than what he used in his first version. It was great to see the interior of the Royal Albert Hall in this scene, and see the London Symphony Orchestra and Covent Garden Chorus! Scream Doris, Scream!
Moraldo Rubini

Soothing the savage breast

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

JohnM wrote:Is it your knowledge of filmscores, or just films, that make you so good at this, Moraldo?
I love and collect film soundtracks. I also have a degree in music. In school, one of my favorite things was "drop the needle". The name of that game dates me, but the professor would drop the needle on a recording and the students would have to guess what the piece was. It was okay if we didn't know the piece, as long as we could back up our theory of who composed the piece, the era, genre, etc. I have a pretty good ear, so really enjoyed this "test". So that helped with the Elmer Bernstein recording. I recognized the Hitchcock from seeing it; this was one of my father's favorite movies. I think I own this soundtrack... I'll have to check my stacks...

My sister is a composer. We grew up playing musical games. Now, giving all that background, I probably won't be able to guess anymore mysteries!
Last edited by Moraldo Rubini on July 24th, 2007, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.