The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: The whiny thread

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks Judith. I suffered from this 15 years ago and there was no help then, my Dad paid for a consultant to say what I'd got and that was it, so it's really good to see that we have these facililties. Today was a group session and I did learn more about the illness than I thought and thankfully they are now putting out there that this is not a mental illness, it's physical, it can have mental aspects due to the suffering. Chris came and he had to listen and although he feels he learnt nothing, I think he did. I'm very glad this clinic is quite near to where I live and is the best one in the country. Compared to others there today I think I have accepted what I have and that it needs rest and pacing and that is the only answer and hopefully I will make a recovery before work pulls my job in December. There's a lot of money being spent by some on supplements, I'm not sure that is the answer, for myself I'm trying to keep my mood and stress levels as up and bouyant as possible as a descent into anxiety or depression wouldn't be helpful at all. Next step is to receive one to one treatment every six weeks.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I had a rough morning since my sister and I had to leave shortly after 7am for a meeting at 8:30am across town. We found the roads shrouded in a fog so deep that even with my lights on, I couldn't see the cars in front of me. Stopped at an intersection with a flashing red light all ways, we saw something happen that I know I'll see when going to sleep tonight. At this corner where there is a four way stop, the people just in front of us were in a horrible looking car crash between a pickup truck and a passenger car (we think the passenger car may have gone through the stop-then-go light without stopping and the truck did not have its lights on). The two vehicles wound up in the ditch with both car and truck looking quite totaled. Miraculously, the two drivers emerged from the car and truck looking shaken but okay. Tons of people came out of their homes and stopped their cars and started to cause a traffic jam. I had called 911 for help to come as soon as I saw what happened, but since the people in the accident appeared to have no physical injuries requiring immediate attention and there were way too many people milling around, I decided we would be of more help if we left and got to my sister's meeting on time.

Strangely, when the fog burned off by 9 am it turned out to be a beautiful day in the 50s. I sure hope those people in front of us were really alright. I hope that if you don't have running lights in your car, that you will please, please turn on your lights when you are driving in fog or rain or snow.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

golly. I'm sorry for the folks involved, but so very very grateful that YOU weren't. So many things contribute to those 'nearly/almost/could've happened' events in our lives. Did you have one last swallow of coffee? Take an extra minute or two to find the car keys? Whatever it was that placed you BEHIND the accident, we are truly grateful!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, I'm glad everyoe was OK and I hope you don't relive it too many times. I agree with Nancy, I'm glad you're safe.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Same here.... whew!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:golly. I'm sorry for the folks involved, but so very very grateful that YOU weren't. So many things contribute to those 'nearly/almost/could've happened' events in our lives. Did you have one last swallow of coffee? Take an extra minute or two to find the car keys? Whatever it was that placed you BEHIND the accident, we are truly grateful!
Thanks for each of your kind words. Knitty, I was a bit late getting up and had a mug of tea in the car to save time. I really didn't have time to do anything else except get washed and dressed and out the door. So maybe running a bit late was a good thing.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Absolutely. Remember the angels in City of Angels? Reaching over, and adjusting the wheel of the car driven by an inattentive driver, gently preventing accidents of all kinds... well, your angel was with you for sure today. :)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi My Dears!!

I don't know if this is the thread to put this in - but:

I've already informed Lynn of this.

I have just returned from London, where I was at a conference. On the first day of the first session, I took a tumble off my chair and landed badly on my head and neck and back.
Fainted dead away. As some of you know, that's how my grandmother, Nell, died - she just dropped dead!!
Kinda scary!!

The paramedics took me out and to the hospital - - missed the whole rest of the conference..

As I joked to Lynn: no grand star entrance for me but a rather dramatic exit. Not even a Bullwinkle, "Exit stage right" or "stage left" but an exit on a gurney... Not very starry.

I have a doctors appointment next week and although I feel alright, I am easily tired now and exhausted.
At 69, I am quickly succumming to arthritis badly and so I may not get to TCM Festival, although I am still registered...

Just an update; don't worry about me though.

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

well OF COURSE WE WILL WORRY. :shock: :shock: :shock:
So very sorry for your mishap. Please please follow up with your doctor. (and quit drinking at those conferences... :lol: :lol: )

Hope you are well enough to make the TCM festival, I for one am looking forward to your reports.

Take care
Nancy
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Larry -

Oh dear! I do hope you are feeling better, and please, don't take any more fancy stage falls. I've only just gotten to know you! Please let us know as much as you feel you can about your doctor visit. We want you upright and healthy. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Rest well Larry and keep us posted.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Sorry to hear about your accident Larry. I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope you will be able to attend the Festival.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:Rest well Larry and keep us posted.
Same here.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the kind support. I am feeling better but still exhausted and am resting. I hate to complain but thought that I should let people know that if I don't go to LA, it's because I can't; not because I'm a 'prig' and don't want to go...
I will love the social aspect mostly as I'm only interested in 4 movies and thankfully they're not clashing with one another....

My mystery may be solved:
The news today just announced the recall of walnuts in our area, which contain E-coli bacteria. And who, you ask ate walnuts (a whole bag full) on the plane over to Britain - yes, ME!!
Apparently, E-coli can cause you to vomit & diarrhea, etc. and I had all that... And, it causes dehydration and elimination of our electrolytes and neutrons, and that was the doctors diagnosis in London.
Long term prognosis is exhaustion and paralysis but I think I'll beat all that!!

Luckily, I passed out in public... If I'd been in my hotel room and not found, well - !!!....

Thanks for caring,
Love to all...
Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, thanks for the update. Looks like ya gonna be alright and hopefully on your way to Hollywood. I suspect that Robert Osborne will enjoy very much talking to you especially when you reveal your background. Good luck and have fun.
Joseph Goodheart