George O'Brien

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pktrekgirl
Administrator

George O'Brien

Post by pktrekgirl »

Okay...so lately I have watched Sunrise and The Blue Eagle, both with George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor.

Both were very good films - and Sunrise in particular was quite impressive - it rose instantly to be one of my favorite silents...and possibly will end up being one of my favorite FILMS.

What a great picture!

Anyway...so afterward I went looking around in my stacks for more of their films. I don't think I have any other Janet Gaynor films...but I did have a few more George O'Brien silents that I am looking forward to.

Not sure I want to venture too far into the talkies, because his talkie career consisted mostly of westerns, and I'm not the biggest westerns fan on the block, except for westerns that include Gary Cooper or Errol Flynn. :P

However, I was very impressed with him in both of these silents...and was wondering what others think of him - particularly others who have seen much more of his work.

I'm also interested in knowing about how much of his silents work still survives. I think I have about 4 or 5 of them, but he made several more.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Gee, I haven't thought of him in years!! Thanks for jogging my memory.
George O'Brien was one of the good guys. Even though he looked and dressed like a movie star, he was pretty 'down-to-earth'...
He taught me how to ride a horse and we used to go riding often until he went off to the Korean War.
He was just as good a swimmer as Johnny Wiesmuller or Buster Crabbe and was the "Rock Hudson" or "Brad Pitt" of his day.
He had been married to Marguerite Churchill before I knew him.

Mae Murray thought he was the best piece of 'beefcake' around until she went ga-ga over Steve Reeves!

Larry
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Beda,

:o Please note, Janet Gaynor starrs with Charles Farrell in both SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927), and STREET ANGEL (1928)! Two of the greatest Silent films in my opinion, and both should be on official DVD!

Another film that I sent you a copy of with Gaynor in the cast, is John Ford's THE SHAMROCK HANDICAP. So that's at least 3 more Janet Gaynor movies that you seemed to have forgotten about?

THE BLUE EAGLE (1925), is missing at least a reel, but more footage may have been found since this Mid-1990's restoration was done?
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ :lol:

I should have known to go to my database rather than simply flip through a stack of white envelopes which may or may not have actors names on them.

I will watch those Janet Gaynor pictures.

I have also located LUCKY STAR (1929). Do you have this film yet?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

PK,

I know you aren't a big western fan (unless Coop is involved) but you should check out "Fort Apache" directed by John Ford.

George O'Brien has a supporting role in the film that is quite good.

He is also very good in Ford's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

O'Brien and Ford, kind of like Harry Carey, Sr and Ford, had a good working relationship that went south.

But they were able to reconcile and Ford hired O'Brien for the two films mentioned above as well as Cheyenne Autumn.

All three are worth checking out. Though he is most handsome in Fort Apache.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hello,

A couple of days ago, I watched George O'Brien in Hollywood Cowboy (a TCM broadcast film). When Hollywood Cowboy was over, I was ready for some more George O'Brien. I thought I had seen his name on the sleeve of one of the disks of my recorded dvds (the "not watched" dvd box). So, I looked through the box, found and watched another George O'Brien movie...Renegade Ranger. For Hollywood Cowboy, I waited for George O'Brien to bust out of his super tight shirt. For Renegade Ranger, I waited for George O'Brien to bust out of his super tight...uh, trousers. No "busting out", but I did enjoy George O'Brien in the two western movies.

By the way, I looked up George O'Brien on IMDB. He was an officer during World War I and World War II and the Korean War. He was nominated for Admiral a few times. However, I don't think he was bumped up to Admiral. One more thing. His son, Darcy O'Brien, was an author and I remember seeing his books prominently displayed on store shelves when I lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I think Darcy was the local big time writer in Tulsa...when he was alive...when he was selling his books. I think Darcy wrote true crime stuff.

Rusty
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Rusty wrote: A couple of days ago, I watched George O'Brien in Hollywood Cowboy (a TCM broadcast film). When Hollywood Cowboy was over, I was ready for some more George O'Brien. I thought I had seen his name on the sleeve of one of the disks of my recorded dvds (the "not watched" dvd box). So, I looked through the box, found and watched another George O'Brien movie...Renegade Ranger. For Hollywood Cowboy, I waited for George O'Brien to bust out of his super tight shirt. For Renegade Ranger, I waited for George O'Brien to bust out of his super tight...uh, trousers. No "busting out", but I did enjoy George O'Brien in the two western movies.
Yeah...in THE BLUE EAGLE he was already busted out for a good chunk of the film, working down in the steam room of a ship, and then boxing. In both scenes *way* buff...and *way* sweaty. :shock:

And that's all I'm gonna say about THAT. :twisted:

And Lynn, thanks for the tip about FORT APACHE in particular - I'll have to check that one out. Although it's not just Gary Cooper westerns I like. I like Errol Flynn westerns too. I'm very diverse. :P