TCM Message Boards

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

TCM Message Boards

Post by mrsl »

I just went over and lurked around the old boards. When and why did they remove the edit button from the posts?

I didn't find anything much worth getting excited about. I couldn't find any decent discussions about movies or actors etc. I found a lot about the sex lives of the stars and the posters.

I wanted to kick myself the other night when they played all the Randy Scott rarities because my VCR is still broken and I haven't been able to replace it. As much as I love the Western Channel, TCM did play a few non-westerns of his that I haven't seen before, and I would have loved to tape them.

That brings me to a question that you technical people can help me with.

When I have the money, what do I want to get? I was looking and don't know the difference between a DVD and a DVR. I want something I can transfer from video to disc, but also something I can copy directly from the TV onto disc if that's possible - Is it? Some of these questions were answered before, but they got too technical for my pea brain to understand.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

They still have the edit button over at TCM City. As usually happens in the summer, there are fewer posters so there tends to be a dearth of good film talk.

Bronxgirl is trying, it seems, to keep the conversations going. Vistavisionking
is going through digging up old threads with provocative titles and there is a lot of chatter on who is the prettiest, most handsome, etc.

You have lots of choices for your upgrade to DVD/DVR. There's a couple of very knowledgeable folks around here who I am sure will chime in with good suggestions for you.

Hope you are staying cool in Chicago. It's incredibly muggy here in Las Vegas with lots of clouds, thunder and lightning at night.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Anne & Lynn,

I have quit going to TCM anymore, just like I quit IMDb three years ago.
I find the negativity on both boards too depressing. And, I am trying to be upbeat in my life now-a-days......

All this repeated falsehoods about this one's and that one's sexuality is so boring to me, and insulting and intrusive to the person being trashed.

When I first joined TCM, there were so many, many positive and knowledgeable people on board that it was a pleasure to get up and see what was what and what's new. Now, I can't be bothered.
There are still good people there and now mostly they're on board here too, so that's a blessing.....

And, dear Anne, if you want any technical advise as to what to buy and how things work, then don't rely on me to help you!!
I'm as dumb as a sack of hammers; and if the light doesn't go on when I turn on the switch, all I can do is say, "Duh??"......
So between your pea brain and my sack of hammers, we're no good to each other or anyone else, technically speaking!!!!!!!
But, I still love you anyway!!!!!!

Larry

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Anne & Larry,
There's a discussion of the risks and benefits of purchasing a dvd/vcr or dvd-r found herethat might be helpful to you.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with you Larry on TCM. None of the people, topics, or opinions are of interest to me. I also find a lot of sexual tension (shall I say?) being tossed around. Sometimes I like the 'who's your favorite' type of topics, but I really prefer dissecting a movie or the career of a certain actor.

Maybe if we combined your hammer with my pea brain, we could come up with some good split pea soup!

Moira:

Thanks again, but some things are still not clear. I asked two of the clerks in the electronics department of Target and Walmart about the difference between DVD and DVR recorders and none of the four had any idea! "They just sell them". . . When I managed a fine jewelry store, I collected lists of what jewels/gems were appropriate for what anniversary, what jewels/gems stood for what characteristics, and the difference between white and yellow diamonds, orange and blue topaz, etc. I wanted to give my customers the best help I could by learning all I could about my product. Unfortunately these kids are not on any kind of commission so they care less if they get a sale or not.

Anyway, I read all the posts in the topic you sent me to, but e.g. in one, it took me almost the whole post to realize whoever it was, was talking about the discs and not the machine. Actually, you came in next and clarified the matter for me.

I'll be another couple of months before I can seriously update so I have time to learn more. Naturally, half the family had financial reverses in July and so my 'extra' non-smoking money has been lent out to sons, daughters and grandkids for various things, but it's nice to be able to help again, after a couple of years of counting pennies. I even checked out Netflix, but it's not for me. My video store is right next to my grocery store so, paying extra for the ease of mail delivery is not sensible for me. I'll finish out my 3 month trial and quit.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
patful

Post by patful »

Anne, if your VCR is not working and you're planning on transferring your VCR tapes to DVD, you're limited to either a combo recorder, or getting a DVD recorder and either buying, renting, or borrowing a VCR. I won't offer advice on what to buy, but I did purchase my Philips for around $170 at Walmart. It wasn't one of those produced cheaply just for Wallyworld, the electronics stores sell the same model also. It's not a DVR (those record to a hard disc similar to your computer's, then you can burn it to disc later), but I'm pretty happy with it so far.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Anne -

I would really recommend a DVD recorder. DVDs will last longer and are much smaller and easier to store than tapes. And should you ever want to trade with anyone for any films, DVD is the trading commodity these days.

The DVD recorder I have is more expensive with Patful's. However, mine has a hard disk which is very useful.

With A DVD recorder, your first decision is whether you want one with a hard drive or one without.

If you record very few films or are home all the time, a hard disk might not be necessary. But if you want to record multiple films per day or if you work and will not be home to babysit the machine, I would recommend a DVD recorder with a hard disk.

One without a hard disk can only record as much as can fit on ONE DVD. One with a hard disk can record several films and you can then burn them to disk as you have time in your schedule.

That is your first decision.
TalkieTime

DVD RECORDERS

Post by TalkieTime »

I am newly registered on this Board.

I participated on the TCM board in a variety of discussions under my same TalkieTime user name. My main interest is early talkies through the film noir era.

I participated in extensive discussions (on the TCM board) concerning recording and archiving DVDs. Many of those discussions are found under Information, Please! in the thread "Gremlin seeks DVDR advice." Those discussions dealt with DVD recorders and combo recorders, their features, setup and operation, including recording and dubbing advice, DVD media types and performance, and a variety of related topics (including the role of computers and DVD burning/copying, hardware/software); DVD cataloging/indexing, and storage (in a few other threads).

I have familiarity with Panasonic DVRs and DVD/VCR combo recorders. I purchased my first DVR, a Panasonic DMR-ES30V combo recorder, in September 2005. Since then I have added a second DMR-ES30V, three DMR-ES35V combo recorders and one DMR-ES15 DVR. All these Panasonics are in current use and perform very well. (I also have a DMR-ES40V, a bug-laden combo recorder that lacks essential features. I no longer use this machine for recording.)

Today my cataloged library of home-recorded DVD recordings, directly recorded from TCM (or other sources) or dubbed recordings, totals 10,874 titles. (Perhaps two thirds of these titles are dubbed to DVD from my videotape collection, most of which came from the pre-2001 AMC.) So, I have some experience with recording and dubbing.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
bobhopefan1940

Re: DVD RECORDERS

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

TalkieTime wrote:Today my cataloged library of home-recorded DVD recordings, directly recorded from TCM (or other sources) or dubbed recordings, totals 10,874 titles.
:shock: What a collection! Welcome to the site, I hope you like it.

As for the subject of the Turner Boards, I tried to return there and begin my posting as usual. Things have driven me back here, this haven of a message board. Seems like the same old same old, Turner definately will not resolve these issues until they upgrade to this type of boardroom!

Seems like alot of old subjects are just being rehashed, and alot of old arguments being dug back up. What a shame, it could be such a wonderful place for people to meet and chat. Done now, with my rant...
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi everyone!

I have been so crazy busy at work lately that I have had no time to come here and only a few mintues to check in the usual few threads at TCM. I know what you all mean about the idiotic posts that seem to be surfacing---I made the mistake of trying to post a civilized, informed response about Clark Gable on one particularly nasty thread, but I haven't even bothered to see if there were any replies because they may not have been kind. So many would rather hear only trashy things anyway.

Hopefully in another week or two I'll be back to normal time wise. :P
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I see PK has another very interesting Avatar! :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

For any of you that visit there they are doing an upgrade this morning. Maybe this will help the technical part run better. No comment on how long it wil take.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

For any of you that visit there they are doing an upgrade this morning. Maybe this will help the technical part run better. No comment on how long it wil take. -Movieman1957

According to the message that pops up explaining that the forum is temporarily unavailable when one clicks on the TCM link, it will be back online at 10am today.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Yes, I was there earlier and went back and got the Upgrade Message. It's supposed to be back on-line @ 10am.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
vallo

Post by vallo »

Went back Now it says 11am.
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster