Freddie Bartholemew Night June 13th

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Freddie Bartholemew Night June 13th

Post by moira finnie »

Was there ever a boy more perfectly cast as David Copperfield, embodying the gentle character's longing for a place in the world as he traversed the underside of Victorian England and grew to manhood?

Starting tonight at 8PM EDT, TCM is revisiting the stardom of Freddie Bartholomew (1924-1992), who reigned for a time in the 1930s as a popular child star of his day, next to Shirley Temple. The earnest, sensitive boy with the refined accent, trained at the famed Italia Conti Stage School in London where stars such as Noel Coward and Gertrude Lawrence were readied for their careers, he eventually appeared in 24 films, sharing the spotlight in remarkably well crafted films opposite talents as different as Greta Garbo (in Camille) and Spencer Tracy (in Captains Courageous).
Raised by his aunt, Myllicent Bartholomew in Warminster in southern England, she was impressed by his recitation of a poem in public when he was quite young. After that, she took him around to various studios in Britain where the curly haired, blue-eyed boy soon began playing bit parts. Chosen by MGM to play David Copperfield (1935) when he was 10, he and his aunt moved to the United States together, where the angelic looking boy became a sensation in a series of exceptionally well made films--the best of which seemed to have roots in literature, though he eventually became so Americanized that he cut his curls (calling them "sissified") and lost his accent completely off-screen. His ability to wring empathy from audiences was remarkable--and extended to his fellow actors.

Off-camera, with Freddie Bartholomew and a guilt-ridden Basil Rathbone whose performance as Murdstone bothered Basil for years.

Today's birthday boy, Basil Rathbone wrote in his autobiography that he was chagrined to learn that he "was to play the cold, cruel Mr. Murdstone, and one morning at MGM I thrashed the living daylights out of poor little Freddie Bartholomew as David Copperfield. It was a most unpleasant experience, for I was directed by Mr. George Cukor" to think of nothing. Cukor, accusing the poker-faced Rathbone of "thinking" while going about his task, called for repeated takes. Every time Rathbone, who was very fond of the likable Bartholomew, had to wail the foam-encased backside of Freddie, he saw real tears rolling down the boys anguished face. Afterwards, it was Basil who felt like crying, each time he thought of his actions as this character and later, as he learned that Hollywood had typed him as a villain from then on.

Freddie Bartholomew with his aunt, signing autographs.

Bartholomew's success was hampered by a rash of lawsuits that ensued between his aunt and his parents, who wanted to regain custody of their famed son. Eventually all this rigamarole resulted in Bartholomew being adopted by his aunt legally, and his paying his parents living expenses as well as those of his aunt and himself. By 1951, after Air Force service as a maintenance crewman on B-17 bombers during WWII, all the lawsuits were settled, and Bartholomew was no longer a cute tyke and a hot property in Hollywood, but a grown man in need of a job, there was not a cent left for the young man to begin his adult life. A chance encounter enabled him to get a start working in television production in New York City area and eventually as an executive at Benton & Bowles advertising agency. Married three times, he had two children and several grandchildren--none of whom have become actors.
Looking back on his life as a star, he said the movie he most enjoyed making was Captains Courageous. The film took a year to make, with much of it shot off the coasts of Florida and Catalina Island in California. "For a kid," he said, "it was like one long outing. Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore, Mickey Rooney, Melvyn Douglas, and I -- we all grew very close toward one another in those 12 months. When the shooting was finished, we cried like a bunch of babies as we said our good-byes."

8:00 PM Freddie Bartholomew with Elizabeth Allan as his mother in David Copperfield.
David Copperfield (1935)
Charles Dickens' classic tale of an orphaned boy's fight for happiness and the colorful characters who help and hinder him.
Dir: George Cukor Cast: W. C. Fields, Lionel Barrymore, Maureen O'Sullivan.
BW-130 mins, TV-G, CC,

10:15 PM
TCM PREMIERE! Freddie plays Tyrone Power as a boy!
Lloyd's of London (1936)
A young man's love for a married woman leads him to help found an insurance company.
Dir: Henry King Cast: Freddie Bartholomew, Madeleine Carroll, Sir Guy Standing.
BW-118 mins, TV-G, CC,

12:15 AM
Captains Courageous (1937)
A spoiled rich boy is lost at sea and rescued by a fishing boat, where hard work and responsibility help him become a man.
Dir: Victor Fleming Cast: Freddie Bartholomew, Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore.
BW-117 mins, TV-G, CC,

2:30 AM
Listen, Darling (1938)
Two children try to find a new husband for their widowed mother.
Dir: Edwin L. Marin Cast: Judy Garland, Freddie Bartholomew, Mary Astor.
BW-75 mins, TV-G, CC,

4:00 AM
Lord Jeff (1938)
When a good boy goes bad, his family sends him to a naval military school.
Dir: Sam Wood Cast: Freddie Bartholomew, Mickey Rooney, Charles Coburn.
BW-85 mins, TV-G, CC

If you have a chance to see the three part documentary, MGM: When the Lion Roars (1992), recently issued on DVD, Freddie contributes his own memories, both bitter and sweet, to this backstage history of the studio.
Freddie Bartholomew in the Turner documentary, talking about his time at MGM.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Re: Freddie Bartholemew Night June 13th

Post by JackFavell »

What a face! I'm going to cry just looking at that second photo.

Didn't Spencer Tracy say that Freddie had a great ability because he didn't play "cute"? I'm going to have to see if I can find the quote.

David Copperfield is one of my all time favorite films, is it sacrilege to say I never quite get over it when Frank Lawton takes over from Freddie? Although I can't imagine Freddie playing a love scene with Maureen O'Sullivan....lol...Poor Frank Lawton.

And of course, Captains Courageous is also a fave, which was a doorway movie for me into the wonders of classic film.

I am looking forward to watching my recording of Lloyd's of London.

Thanks for posting about Freddie, Moira!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Much obliged for the info and images regarding Freddie Bartholemew, Moira. He is one of my favorite child performers.
He was so good in all the films that you mentioned especially "Captain's Courageous", my favorite. Basil Rathbone was very evil indeed to Freddie in that one, although we got our satisfaction when Edna Mae Oliver booted him and his equally evil sister out of their lives. Of course Rathbone was wonderful in his part.
I never understood the deal with his aunt (no parents?) and that things went a bit sour later in his life, but I hope he made the best of it.
from IMDb: After leaving acting in 1951, Bartholomew vowed never to give any interviews about the so-called "good old days".
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

mongoII wrote:I never understood the deal with his aunt (no parents?) and that things went a bit sour later in his life, but I hope he made the best of it.
I never understood that either, though I believe his father was in the British army, so maybe he and his wife were stationed somewhere that a child couldn't live and parked Freddie with the aunt, though reading contemporary newspaper accounts from the time of the lawsuit(s) there are mentions of their neglecting Freddie and not caring about him until he was in the money. Other reports indicate that the "discovery of his talent" led the Bartholomew parents to allow their only son to be managed by the aunt, who could supervise his training for a theatrical career. I can't imagine how his must have made the boy feel since his two sisters stayed with their parents.

The blogger at Immortal Ephemera here has put together an excellent three part account of Freddie's life with some rare photos, especially from his post-Hollywood years. I think you might find it interesting, Joe. He has done some fine research into the financial and court records showing how the kid was bled dry by the lawyers and the leeches.

I'm really not entirely sure if the aunt's interest in the boy was a bit mercenary or not, but from the newspaper articles I've come across, it seems that Freddie supported everyone. Poor Freddie was even sued by his sisters, Eileen and Hilda Bartholomew by their mother Lilyan May Bartholomew in 1939. At one time the kid had a dozen lawsuits pending against him from his extended family and the former trust administrators who controlled his income prior to his aunt's legal assumption of that responsibility in 1936, (she had been the de facto admin prior to this arrangement). A first marriage during the war years to Maely Daniele ended his closeness to his Aunt Cissie (some sources say Cissy), so it seems he was left to fend for himself just when his boyhood career was ending.

I believe that Edith Fellows had some similar experiences with relatives coming out of the woodwork once she started riding the gravy train for a time.

You might enjoy this memoir with the racy title of Watch Your Cleavage, Check Your Zipper! by Guy Lebow, a man who knew Freddie well when he came to NYC to work (much of this can be seen online via Google books, where that link will take you). Lebow and Bartholomew worked together at WPIX in the late '40s and early '50s, where Freddie eventually became a director before shifting over to advertising in the '50s. He became a producer of As the World Turns and Search for Tomorrow by the early '80s. Emphysema in the '80s led to his relatively early retirement and death the following decade. From the stories Guy Lebow tells, the former child actor had lost all his money by then (through little or no fault of his own) but kept his sense of humor. He was a real (and naughty) prankster in the studio when the big cheeses were away and was also very savvy about working with the camera in a naturalistic way. This book is the only resource I've found yet that gives any sense of what he was like as a person after he grew up.

I read Jackie Cooper's autobiography again recently, and found that Jackie was very fond of him and stayed in touch throughout the years when both men were working in production in television, beginning in the '50s. He doesn't give detail, but mentions that Freddie definitely had his troubles.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Many thanks, Moira. Your article certainly shed light on the life of Freddie Bartholemew. He certainly was a practical joker (which included some serious stuff). It is a shame that the poor guy went broke though.
I did read that he eventually had two children?
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was a great article, Moira...if a little sad. I am glad, though that like Jackie Cooper, he found some success and personal happiness in later life.