Please think about purchasing Ealing Studios movies on dvd.

News and Upcoming Releases
Rusty

Please think about purchasing Ealing Studios movies on dvd.

Post by Rusty »

Hello,

IMDB lists about 95 Ealing Studios movies, released from 1939 to 1959. You know how many Ealing movies are on dvd (Region 1)? Not many...maybe, twenty.

I just finished watching The Maggie, one of five movies included with the box set of Ealing Studios Comedy Collection. The other four movies included with the box set are...The Titfield Thunderbolt, Whiskey Galore!, A Run For Your Money and Passport To Pimlico. The box set does not have much in the way of extras...oh, they include a paper booklet of movie synopsis. The dvd presentation of each movie is really good. The box set costs from a low of 40 dollars up to about 70 dollars (Amazon). The Ealing comedy box set is produced by Anchor Bay.

I admit I am advertising this box set for selfish reasons. I figure...if a lot of people purchase Ealing Studios movies, maybe some of the other 75 Ealing movies not on dvd will show up on dvd.

I have now finished watching all five Ealing comedy movies included with the box set.

I must see more Ealing movies...I must see more Ealing movies.

Rusty
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

You know, I didn't even know this set existed until you just mentioned it.

I'm glad you did - I put it on my wishlist at Deep Discount DVD. Although it's $54. there....

Where did you find the $40 price?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I only knew about the set because I've rented some from Netflix. I've seen "Whiskey Galore" (you almost need an interpreter but it's a nice film) and "Passport To Pimlico" (lovely idea but not as much fun as I remember it) and I'm waiting on "The Titfield Thunderbolt." I thought it was a miracle when those were available. I'm not sure there is enough recognition overall to be worth the effort, enjoyable though they are.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

pktrekgirl...I was looking at the amazon.com page at the time I posted the original message. The amazon marketplace ("used and new from...") for the box set has a low of about 40 dollars from a few video sellers.

movieman...I know what you mean regarding, "need an interpreter". I rented the British mini-series Danger UXB. The series has a lot of idiomatic dialogue and the disks have no closed captioning. Rather than spend a bunch of time trying to decipher some of the rapidly spoken dialogue, we just watched the bomb disposal action...understanding the dialogue hit and miss. Danger UXB really should have had closed captioning.

Rusty
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Rusty:

I just finished watching Danger UXB for the first time since it was originally aired. I had a grand time looking for what the actors had done since then. The man who played Cpl. Salt ( and the one I had the most trouble understanding) most recently played Pompey Magnus(?) in HBO's "Rome" last year. There was another Cpl. Wilkens (?), who smoked in every scene he was in, was also the guy who had brain surgery in "Master and Commander." I had trouble understanding him becaused he wouldn't take the stupid cigarette out of his mouth. All in all it was a great series.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
markfp

Post by markfp »

I have the set and if you like British comedies of that era you'll love all of them. Quality is excellent. Well worth getting.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Oh, I'll have to find this. I only have Passport to Pimlico on a cheap transfer in a 50 film box set. I haven't seen The Titfield Thunderbolt or Whiskey Galore! in far too long, and the other two films are new on me.

You probably alread know this but Anchor Bay also put out the wonderful Alec Guinness Collection that includes Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit and one I'd not seen before picking up the box, The Captain's Paradise. Very much recommended.