Netflix Films Streaming and DVD By Mail

News and Upcoming Releases
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Netflix Streaming Films

Post by movieman1957 »

My daughter is wearing out my Netflix "streaming." I'm always getting asked how I liked something she watched. We haven't been on at the same time but I think it would be more account related than device.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's what I thought - or maybe bandwidth... I want to try it out, because I have a feeling I won't get the chance to watch the big TV now.

Alice is a little techno geek now - she helped Andrew set up the Netflix account - not because I was incapable, but because she wanted to do it. She keeps saying things like, "don't forget mom, you need to hit the A button". Or telling me what to do on the computer before I can arrow up or down to the right item. It's easier to point and say "hit that" faster than it is to actually use the mouse. Sheesh. I'm not a total idiot. Most of the time. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wait until she gets to be the same age as mine. They just say "move over and let me do it." Most of the time though my computer life isn't too complicated. Screen caps are about as tough as anything I do.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Same here!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

So this morning I open my email and I have a letter from Netflix telling me they are going to take my $14.99 membership plan and split it. It will be $7.99 for all the streaming I want but make my DVD plan separate and make that $11.99 monthly. That part doesn't include any streaming. So for what I get now will cost me $20 a month.

That's not going to break the bank but these new deals were going to bite us sooner or later.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, I was disappointed with the price, but to me it's worth it. now I have to convince Andrew that it's worth it.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Convincing Carolann is not a problem it is convincing myself to justify it. Even though I know I'll use it more than cable that's a pretty stiff increase. We'll offset it because we are getting HBO for some show my daughter wanted but I think it's run its course.

It's even more about keeping it as I just bought an internet Blu-ray player that only gets a few things and Netflix is one of them.

So many of my DVD queue is only available that way. Nearly all the streaming are on DVD but it helps to have something in between the mailings. Maybe I'll change it back to one at a time on the DVD side. I'm not sure.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I guess if you look at it as a monthly bill, the price isn't so bad, but the increase is too much after having it for less money for so long.

Andrew woke me this morning to say we had to get rid of Netflix... so I face an uphill battle.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Remember you can keep one part if you want. Maybe that will help Andrew let it go.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had the streaming and one DVD out at a time, and to be honest, I've not used either much. I still have a DVD waiting to be sent back, and the 'streaming' experience was poor. My computer's sound system doesn't play loudly enough, the tekkie at NetFlix tried to help, but only succeeded in throwing my system into 'you have multiple registry errors' mode. So this morning I canceled the membership. I've been watching so many NCIS marathons, it's really cut into my movie time. :oops: Maybe this winter.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I guess I've been lucky, I've had great streaming experiences, except for the first time.

I feel that I can't really do without one or the other at this point.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Our equivalent is Lovefilm, they have quite a few films available for streaming, I usually only take this option if the film is unavailable for renting.

I remember years ago my hubby telling me that owning films will be obselete as, one day, you'll be able to dial up the film/programme you want to watch and watch whenever you want. I think the technology is there but I wonder if they'll ever hold the films and programmes I want to see. I hardly fit into the popular viewing category of my age group, so keep hold of my DVDs doggedly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My experience with Netflix has been terrific and I go through DVDs in a couple of days. I got it so I wouldn't have to buy everything I wanted to see. The house isn't big enough for that.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I chose to keep the unlimited streaming and one DVD out at a time and that will make my Netflix bill actually go down by $4.95 a month beginning next month. I get a lot out of the streaming now (especially since they have so many obscure movies online that way), but there will always be films that are only on DVD, I guess.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hi, Penny! :D

Maybe I can switch to one dvd and streaming and see how that works for me. We were doing 2 dvd's before the streaming started, and I never changed it.