'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by CineMaven »

Hi there Fossy, where are you writing from? Australia? Where is there winter now?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Yes, Cinemaven I am in Cairns, Australia. (Far North Queensland),which is at Latitude 15.67S. At this time of year there is an influx of people from down south who are escaping winter. For instance, overnight last night the temperature in Hobart dropped to 5(41F) and is expected to rise to 13(55.4F). Here in Cairns the overnight temperature dropped to 19(66.2F) and is expected to rise to 26(78.8F).

This is a popular tourist area and people visit from all round the world. It is also popular with film stars who usually fly into Cairns and then go north to (say) Port Douglas, Daintree or perhaps one of the offshore islands which are a bit more exclusive.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Knitty, I hear ya...you can shuck an ear of corn in the field and butter it up and it's ready to go...

I feel so bad for everyone suffering. My central ac is out, has to be replaced and I can't do it. Luckily I have 1 room ac so am surviving best I can. If the night temps drop down, we are fine. Last week was awful, though. It was 87 downstairs and 91 upstairs at 10 oclock at night. The last couple of days have been fine but I'm not looking forward to the next 2. I feel like I'm on a permanant camp-out!

I'm headed to my sister's pool tomorrow.
Marco!!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Polo!

Sure wish you were closer, you could camp at my house!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Aww, you're sweet but I'll live. I'd rather be hot than cold! If we can avoid that breathtaking humidity, I can take the heat!

All the more reason to chill out and watch a classic movie!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A light clouding ended our 40 day streak of 100 F or higher (mostly higher) weather in north Texas. The record was 42 days, set back in 1980.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My Summer has been delightful bore ... I only had 3 days of over 80 degrees ... right now its 57 degrees (at 9:30 am) and expect to up to 77 ... its like this 3 days of cool weather ... 3 days of lukewarm/overcast weather ... that follow with 1-2 days of sunshine ... process repeats itself often! Of which I'm not :o at all!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Interesting Article from Seattle Times about people in Oklahoma and the Midwest
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... her26.html

Including a neat photo of a house surrounded by a levee ... protecting it! I have never seen this before ... until now.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just received this from Judith (JDB1)
Writing back early in case we lose power. Everything in the news is hurricane-related. We may have to evacuate over the weekend. I'm in Zone A - the one closest to the shore. Ironically, the border between Zone A and Zone B is the street right in front of my house! We're supposed to go to a public school about 4 miles away. My concern is what to do with the cat -- take him, or leave him? We're on the fourth floor; I don't think it's too likely it would flood that high, and we're about a half a mile from the beach, anyway. The Mayor has already ordered hospitals and nursing homes in Zone A to evacuate.

They have also announced that they may shut down mass transit. So how are the majority of New Yorkers, who don't have cars, supposed to get anywhere?
Stay safe, all of you! don't take chances, just hunker down in a safe place and ride it out!!!!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ocean City, MD started their evacuation at midnight. 150,000 people have to go. Being on the west side of the Bay we are supposed to be in less trouble but we could still get some trouble. But we are not in the direct path like NY and New England. They could be in trouble.

If we have power I'll post some updates tomorrow.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Judith, Movieman, MissG, CineMaven, Moira and any one else on the east coast -

stay safe and make sure to stock up on water, tuna fish, crackers, batteries....and whatever else is needed. They've told us that it is pretty much a 100% certainty that we will lose power here, and that flooding and high winds will both be a problem. Take care everyone... and protect yourselves! I look forward to hearing from you all afterwards, and that we all have good news.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

amen!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'd like to third (after knitty) what Jacks said.

To all the Oasisians in the path of Irene, please be careful and please be safe!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My mother-in-law is supposed to be out of her place by noon tomorrow. (She lives near the Bay Bridge.) She wants to go but my stepfather-in-law won't. Let the arguments commence.

I'll be on the western edge of it so I don't think it will be too bad. I'm worried about those of you in NY and points nearby. Praying for you all to have a safe weekend.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Me,too, Chris. take care!!!