New Valentino DVD set

News and Upcoming Releases
precoder

New Valentino DVD set

Post by precoder »

Flicker Alley has scheduled the release of it's new Valentino DVD set for September ...

(Los Angeles, CA) Flicker Alley, LLC, a specialty supplier of fine silent films and classic cinema programming, today announced that the company will release “THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” on DVD September 11, 2007. The 2-disc DVD edition is poised to become the definitive career overview of one of the silent screen’s greatest stars and follows the Rudolph Valentino commemorative event on August 18th, co-curated by historian Tracy Ryan Terhune and sponsored by Hollywood Heritage.

As one of the most iconic personalities of the silent film era, Rudolph Valentino achieved an unprecedented level of fame that was due in part to his exotic good looks and a magnetic personality which leapt from the screen. His undeniable cultural resonance, coupled with his untimely death in August of 1926, has made him a recognizable and still-relevant figure throughout the world.

”THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” is the definitive Rudolph Valentino DVD compilation containing digital reconstructions and DVD premieres of four unavailable Rudolph Valentino films--the “lost” Valentino production The Young Rajah (1922) and Stolen Moments (1920), fea­turing new musical scores by Jon Mirsalis; A Society Sensation (1918), featuring Bob Mitchell at the pipe organ; and Moran of the Lady Letty (1922), featuring a restoration of the film’s original intertitle text and tinting and a new score by Robert Israel.

Three of the four digital reconstructions found on Flicker Alley’s DVD release of “THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” were originally produced in partnership with Turner Classic Movies and The Library of Moving Images, and first broadcast on Turner Classic Movies in 2006. The DVD collection boasts an extensive selection of bonus features detailing several aspects of Valentino’s remarkable life and legacy, sure to fascinate film fans and scholars alike. The DVD carries a $39.99 suggested retail price.

“THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” DVD Bonus Features include:

Valentino Forever: A short film documenting the Valentino memorial services and the mysterious Lady in Black by Valentino Forever author and historian Tracy Ryan Terhune

Vintage Valentino: Rare short subjects featuring new music scores by Bob Mitchell at the pipe organ, including A Trip to Paramountown, Screen Snapshots, and Character Studies; Round About Hollywood, an early Cinecolor travelogue; and Rudolph Valentino, a fifteenth anniversary memorial tribute

Valentino In Memoriam: A unique collection of biographical information, rare images and vintage audio recordings, including an exclusive audio interview with the original Lady in Black, Ditra Flame

Valentino Landmarks: A tour of significant Hollywood locations in Valentino’s life, including an interactive video tour of Falcon Lair, a slide show of the Whitley Heights residence and rare images of Valentino’s personal belongings

A Friend Remembered: Many never-before-published images by Valentino’s close friend, Paul Ivano

Rare Rudy: Additional rare footage of Valentino, including a newly-uncovered original 35 mm tinted nitrate fragment of Stolen Moments

Who’s Who Valentino: Over 80 pages of biographical information and unique photographs of the major performers and technicians involved with each film, as well as the key players in Valentino’s life in Hollywood.

A virtual treasure trove of rare images! Fascinating promotional materials from the four feature films and two special slide show presentations: Valentino The Athlete and Valentino and His Beloved Pets

New booklet essay: DVD introduction by Emily W. Leider, author of Dark Lover - The Life and Death of Rudolph Valentino

Flicker Alley’s “THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” DVD is being released in conjunction with unveiling of a new long-term exhibit of rare Valentino ephemera at The Hollywood Heritage Museum. The museum is located in the Lasky-DeMille Barn at 2100 North Highland Avenue in Los Angeles.

As part of its popular Evenings at the Barn series, this year’s Hollywood Heritage festivities celebrate the opening of a permanent exhibition of Valentino ephemera from the private collections of Valentino authorities Stella Grace and Tracy Ryan Terhune. Exclusive content from “THE VALENTINO COLLECTION” DVD will make its public premiere at the event--Flicker Alley’s new digital edition of Stolen Moments (1920) and the documentary “Valentino Forever”, edited by Hollywood Heritage board member Robert S. Birchard, will be screened.

ABOUT FLICKER ALLEY

Flicker Alley, LLC was founded in 2002 out of Jeffery Masino’s passion for silent films, his fascination with film preservation and a desire to bring filmmakers and films from this era to new audiences and renewed recognition. Each Flicker Alley project is the culmination of many hundreds of hours of research, digital restoration and music production. Flicker Alley’s DVD editions represents a commitment to quality that has achieved national and international acclaim, including garnering respective “Best of the Year” mentions. The home video trade publication Video Business said of Flicker Alley’s titles, “We can’t imagine specialty product getting any better than this.”

Since 2004, Flicker Alley has partnered with Turner Classic Movies on several historic cable broadcast joint ventures. Such presentations have included Howard Hughes’ productions of Two Arabian Knights (1927), The Racket (1928), and The Mating Call (1928), as well as the 2006 premieres of three rarely viewed Rudolph Valentino digital reconstructions included in “THE VALENTINO COLLECTION”--The Young Rajah (1922), Moran of the Lady Letty (1922), and Stolen Moments (1920). The company, in association with Turner Entertainment Networks is currently preparing new digital editions of two rarely seen films by French master Abel Gance—J’Accuse (1919) and La Roue (1923), both making their Turner Classic Movies broadcast debut in Spring 2008.

For more information on the company, please visit www.flickeralley.com. Flicker Alley DVDs are available in North America through online retailers Amazon.com (www.amazon.com) and Facets Multimedia (www.facets.org), as well as distributor Emphasis Entertainment Group, Inc. (contact [email protected]); institutional sales are handled exclusively by Gartenberg Media Enterprises (contact [email protected]).

http://www.flickeralley.com/fa_valentino_01.html
Last edited by precoder on August 7th, 2007, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Yes, I read about this in the Valentino Yahoo Group I'm a member of.

Very excited! And just in time for his memorial in August.
precoder

Post by precoder »

"Stolen Moments" is the one I haven't seen ...

I'm hugely looking forward to the new Robt Israel scoring ... This is one I think I'll buy (uh ... when the price comes down) :x
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, I'm sure that you figured I'd be all over this, even before I posted. You just KNOW I can't get enough Valentino! Totally addictive. :P
precoder

Post by precoder »

Yes, I knew you'd like that ... hehe ... The other two films markbeckuaf sent me last year ...

THANKS MARK :roll:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ What? You don't appreciate him as much as I do?

Can't IMAGINE why!!! :lol: :roll:

But if you want to see other Valentino films I'd be happy to send you one. I have every one of them in existence, except for one that only exists in the Eastman House archives.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

precoder,

:o Hey Benji, that's great news about the Valentino, and Able Gance collections! But I wonder when is Flicker Alley actually going to release TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927), THE RACKET(1928), and THE MATING CALL (1928)?

:roll: All three of these movies were restored by them, and a DVD set has been rumored for the past three years! These are some great films! I am fortunate that I have them already on DVD-R, but I imagine an official release might contain some cool extras! :)
Moraldo Rubini

I Could Have Gance'd All Night!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Great news that J’Accuse and La Roue will be seen on TCM next year too! I wonder what other treasures they have in store for us...
precoder

Post by precoder »

This from Barrie Maxwell in June 2005 ... Old news I'm sure you're aware of ...

"Flicker Alley's third release, F.W Murnau's Phantom (1922), is now planned for an autumn 2005 release. The company was also involved in last year's restoration of three Howard Hughes productions - Two Arabian Knights (1927), The Racket (1928), and The Mating Call (1928) - and it is possible that DVD versions will be forthcoming, although there's nothing definite as yet."

http://www.flickeralley.com/fa_arabian_02.html

The best I can figure Jeffrey, is the Jeff Masino restoration of "Two Arabian Knights" was a joint effort with TCM to get the Milestone silents restored and premiered on the Turner Channel. I haven't been able to find anything about a DVD release date on those.

http://www.flickeralley.com/fa_pressroom_01.html
precoder

Post by precoder »

pktrekgirl wrote:But if you want to see other Valentino films I'd be happy to send you one. I have every one of them in existence, except for one that only exists in the Eastman House archives.
pktreky, just for your info, here's the Valentino's I have in my collection ...

The Delicious Little Devil 1919 ...
The Conquering Power 1921 ...
Moran Of The Lady Letty 1922 ...
Beyond The Rocks 1922 ...
Blood And Sand 1922 ...
The Young Rajah 1922 ...
Cobra 1925 ...
Son Of The Sheik 1926 ...

I've seen only part of "Four Horseman" but I didn't catch much of it at all and that was ages ago. I've never seen "The Sheik", "Monsieur Beaucaire" or "The Eagle" ...

(edit) WhOoPs ~ Forget what I said earlier about "Stolen Moments" 1920. I actually do have it right here. Markbeckuaf sent that too but ... uh ... I've never watched it.
:shock:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE EAGLE, and THE SHIEK are my favorite Valentino films....and you don't have them. :(

Completely unacceptable. :P

However, I warn you - THE SHEIK in particular is right up my fangirl alley...and you've known me long enough to know what THAT means! :lol:

We can talk about it off-board and work something out, I'm sure.
precoder

Post by precoder »

pktrekgirl wrote:THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE EAGLE, and THE SHIEK are my favorite Valentino films....
... And arguably the three most significant films ...

I absolutely love "Son" though ... I've watched that over and over. That is a very intoxicating film and a great performance from Rudy ...
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

"Four Horsemen" is a really good film. I'm not a huge Valentino fan, but I liked that one a lot.

Murnau's "Phantom" is a very nice DVD. It's not my favorite of his films, but given that he's my all time favorite director, it's still very much worth watching.

I've been waiting for years to see J'Accuse. When are they supposed to show it?
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Jon, not to get too far off the topic of Valentino here, but I've been meaning to ask you this for a few days and didn't have the time last night on instant messenger - do you have CAPITAL PUNISHMENT (1925)? I figure if anyone I know would have it, you would.....being Clara Bow and all. ;)

And what about GET YOUR MAN (1927)?
precoder

Post by precoder »

Ed Lorusso (drednm) writes about Valentino's mineralava tour ... New article ...

http://www.midnightpalace.com/article-r ... entino.htm