WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Hillworth

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Hillworth »

Last night I watched I Married a Witch (1942). It had been many, many years and for some reason I had false memories of child actor Ann Carter being a prominent character. But she only appeared at the very end, barely visible to the camera. Can't explain that misconception.

It is the only Veronica Lake movie I've seen to date, and I found her unique and her character refreshing. Despite all the stories of how much March disliked her, it didn't seem evident to me on screen much to his credit. Cecil Kellaway played his part masterfully.

The story is certainly lacking, but it is a light, enjoyable, and very charming comedy. 8)
"I want to live, but I want to vanish. I want to go away and change my name and never be heard of again."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think Veronica disliked Fredric March just as much. I remember seeing a clip of Veronica on a chat show many years later, I think it was a youtube link, she was still really sore at Fredric March, all she succeeded in doing was making herself look petty. She is a unique character in movies, I like her best in Sullivan's Travels.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The story is certainly lacking, but it is a light, enjoyable, and very charming comedy.

That it is. Cute and funny; charming and witty. The always adorable Cecil Kelloway was never better. Even Robert Benchley, one of the great wits of the time, shows up. Elizabeth Montgomery is better known for this scenario. But the sexy, mysterious Ms. Lake got there first. This silly little comedy is worth 90 minutes of anybody's time!
Last edited by RedRiver on August 30th, 2011, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched "The Sons of Katie Elder," (1965) directed by Henry Hathaway.

I had seen it decades ago on network TV and hadn't liked it much at all. I liked it better yesterday, even if it was a little slow. It was surprisingly "pacifistic" for a revenge western. Indeed, it probably shouldn't really be considered a revenge western. Wayne was very good, and I liked Dean Martin as the most untrustworthy brother. The bad guys had an "off the shelf" quality that worked against the film a bit, but I really liked the way the movie gave us a sense of the pioneer woman the four sons were trying to honor. It's rare for a Western to have such an important "unseen character," and I liked that aspect of the film.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Katie Elder" is a little sluggish. Certainly not a bad movie. The characters are fun, and have theatrical contrasts. The action is good. But the story takes a long time getting there.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Once I get past the age difference for Wayne and Anderson I settle in and enjoy it. My father had a brother that was about 23 or 24 years older than him but I think Wayne's age is even more advanced. I think it is kind of endearing that Wayne refers to his parents by their first names. It is not just for others but it gives a different but still respectful feel when "Ma" and "Pa" won't do for him.

I agree that Martin if good. I thought it funny that Holliman, now more mature than those whiny kids he played in the 50s, has so little to do. The scene in the house where they are talking about whether to send Bud to school or get a stone for Kate resonates well about brothers arguing. Well respected parents can be a hard thing to live up to.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I agree that I was puzzled that Earl Holliman had so little to do.

Was "Sons of Katie Elder" the film Wayne was working on when he found out he had cancer?
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

I believe he was finishing up CIRCUS WORLD (64) when the cancer was discovered and he opted for immediate surgery. KATIE ELDER was considered his big comeback after 'beating the big C' even though he already had two other films in the can.
Hillworth

Post by Hillworth »

Yesterday, I watched The Last Voyage (1960). I put it in the DVD player as I was going to sleep after a long day, fully expecting to drift off 15 minutes in. But no, it turned out to be a pretty riveting film. I remained on the edge of my seat for the duration.

"I want to live, but I want to vanish. I want to go away and change my name and never be heard of again."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Gary 3: I'm pretty sure the Katie Elder scenes of the 4 brothers fighting off the posse from under the bridge in the water is what turned a normal cold into pneumonia for John Wayne. Since the title is just "The Sons of . . . " rather than 'The Four Sons of . . . ', I don't see why Anderson wasn't made the abandoned son of JW (in Katie's care), which would have caused just as much friction as was shown between older brother and youngest brother as would be between father and son.

Hillworth: Hello, by the way. The Last Voyage affected me in the same way that you mention. The film DID introduce me to Woody Strode. I had seen him before, but never paid a lot of attention until this movie where he really made an impression. It also brought Dorothy Malone more to my attention as well as that adorable little Tammy - her fright in having to cross over that hole in the floor on that creaky board almost made me taste her fear, but her love and trust in her Daddy got her across, and if I didn't know better, I would have thought Robert Stack was actually her father.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There's a mindless satisfcation to THE LAST VOYAGE, similar to the disaster films of the 1970's. Certainly not a great movie. Barely even a good one. But you're not about to go anywhere until all the conflicts are resolved. That takes some decent writing.

Well, I tried to stay awake for MANPOWER last night. Just couldn't do it. This is no reflection on the movie. It looked pretty good. But I'm almost certain to nod off in the evening. I like video! MANPOWER seemed different. Some comedy. It looked like a romantic triangle was brewing. Even a dark quality as we explore the dingy side of the story. But I didn't see enough to evaluate.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have never gotten through Manpower either, it's got a predictable plot, but now I have it recorded, maybe I can finally find out what happens at the end, though I think I know. Getting there is half the fun...

Shanghai Express was WONDERFUL. One of the best looking movies I've ever seen, but without the kitsch of The Scarlet Empress. I find that I love Von Sternberg, even if he was a task-master.

Marlene was awe-inspiringly beautiful, she was the whole movie really - you simply can't take your eyes off of her. How Clive Brook could remain such a stick in the mud with her hands all over him, I'll never know. It would have been nice if an actor with a bit more expressiveness played "Doc", though I do see the point in using him - she looked even MORE fantastically sexy because Clive was so stodgy. I wanted her to take him in the worst way and degrade him. :)

It was great to see Anna May Wong with a meaty role, she was flawless, her scene during and after Oland has got a hold of her was spectacular. I also thought Warner Oland quite good, bringing a little realistic bureaucratic sympathy to the villain role. I loved the way the film was written - showing the uppity westerners to be no better than their "captors"... It made me laugh every time one of them complained about the swinish behavior of the Chinese, when they were behaving even worse. Was Louise Closser Hale's little dog a Lhasa Apso? I thought it quite appropriate that she was cosseting a little Chinese or Tibetan dog, while berating the Chinese people she encountered.

I loved the use of shutters and shades in the film.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Shanghai Express is the only Von Sternberg/Dietrich movie I haven't yet seen, I love all the others and this sounds like the cream of the cake.

I remember the work scenes in Manpower best of all, all that crackling electricity and pylons.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You can't go wong with Anna May!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Hi Alison,

Shanghai Express may be my favorite Dietrich film (it's between it and Scarlet Empress). It's about as perfect as classic Hollywood movies get. If I were scheduling my own marathon of the most entertaining classics, this one would surely be included. I'd suggest you see it ASAP. Criterion really made me happy with the scheduled release of Island of Lost Souls, but if they can negotiate a release for Shanghai Express as well...well, they already have my undying support, so I don't know what else I can offer other than my business.

But then nearly all of those Sternberg-Dietrich films are wonderful. I even like The Devil is a Woman, even though it gets very little love from historians/critics.