Screen smoking might be classed 18

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Screen smoking might be classed 18

Post by stuart.uk »

I just heard in the UK there are plans to make any film at the pictures an 18 that has a character smoking. That means if it happens, anyone under 18 won't be allowed to watch such a movie. The fear being it might encourage a minor to start smoking.

I take it from that, as well as new films, the likes of Now Voyeger will now only be watched by adults when shown at the movies.
RedRiver

Re: Screen smoking might be classed 18

Post by RedRiver »

I'm a non-smoker and have zero tolerance. But some things are simply ridiculous.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm in complete agreement with RedRiver but I can understand how smoking on screen looks sexy and attractive. It's too bad we don't have smell-o-vision. After smoking for over 40 years, I have been smoke free for nearly 5 years now (I can hardly believe it!), and it's a terrible shame that my mom and sister are both gone now, because I cannot apologize to them for entering their house after having had a cigarette in the car. At first I loved the smell, but now I find it every bit as repulsive as a life-long non smoker. However it sounds like something our Congress would do - - spend money and time worrying about what might cause teens to smoke, instead of fixing up their schools and playgrounds. Don't mean to get political but it's stupid things like that that get my dander up.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:I'm a non-smoker and have zero tolerance. But some things are simply ridiculous.
When Stuart first opened up this thread and stating that any movie (in UK) that has actors/actresses smoking in scenes they (a proposed motion) that they will not allow anyone under the age of 18 in. This is got to be most absurd thing that I've ever heard in my life. This means any child can't see Gilda (my favorite Hayworth movie) in UK until they reached 18. 80 to 90 percent of all the Film Noir films has smoking in them and so forth. This is pure stupidity and utter nonsense here. I totally agree with RedRiver's "But some things are simply ridiculous"!

To me ... I'm :shock: to read this :!:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I was under the impression that most on-screen smoking was taboo. However, the idea of making a movie, in the US, an NC-17 because of someone smoking seems pretty stupid. Heavens, are they going to ban old movies from TV?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
vallo

Post by vallo »

I think we’re getting too carried away with our politically correctness. What’s next? Do they want to do what Spielberg did this with re-release of E.T. put phones in their hands instead of guns? I can’t imagine Bogart trying to light up a Blackberry. :P
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Don't Bogart that phone, my friend. Pass it over to me!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I watched close together 2 noir films, The Long Memory and Call Northside 777. In both films couples slept in seperate beds, but in N777, James Stewart's wife happy smoke, while in her single bed. I was thinking that now a days couples sharing a bed is acceptable, but an actress smoking in bed might be frowned upon
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

stuart.uk wrote:I watched close together 2 noir films, The Long Memory and Call Northside 777. In both films couples slept in seperate beds, but in N777, James Stewart's wife happy smoke, while in her single bed. I was thinking that now a days couples sharing a bed is acceptable, but an actress smoking in bed might be frowned upon
Stuart, in your closing "but an actress smoking in bed might be frowned upon" ... I simply don't get this. I seen literally dozens and dozens of movies of actresses from all walks of life smoking in bed and this is perfectly natural thing to do if you are a smoker! ... I just don't get your drift here; care to elaborate further? Your comment puzzles me!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The fire department would definitely take issue!