Balin sighting!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
klondike

Balin sighting!

Post by klondike »

Ahhh, yes, the elusive & scintilating Ina Balin, flirting the bark right off Ben Gazzara here in "The Young Doctors" . . wherein every one is almost painfully young, except Frederic March!
Always great to catch an eyeful of Ina, though . . . just hope our very own Brooklyn Girl, jdb1, didn't miss this!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klondike,

Have pod people absconded with you? Your new avatar is scary. What happened to the puppies.

My brain has conjured up a weird tale based on your current avatar but it is too gruesome to write about. Imagine Stephen King, your new avatar and cute puppies.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Ahh, Lynn, fair, Lynn, ye are so mickle fey, I do swon that even outside Mandrake Falls, they'd call you pixilated.
:twisted:
My current avatar was rather poorly reduced from a larger, nicer close-up photo of the grille of a 1949 Chevy pick-up truck; unfortunately, wringing it down to the required dimension blurred the contrast slightly, so that the red, deco-style letters that proclaim:
C H E V R O L E T
don't stand out like they ought.
But worry not, before the witching hour, come the morrow, I'll bark forth a Druidic legos numa, and my avatar shall morph back into some form of Malamute.
Which, neath Heaven's starry vault, is doubtless how it should be!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I knew it was a car grille, but couldn't tell what the make was from the pic. Nice. Is the 49 Chevy yours?
Moraldo Rubini

Lassie, Come Home

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

klondike wrote:My current avatar was rather poorly reduced from a larger, nicer close-up photo of the grille of a 1949 Chevy pick-up truck;
I recognized it as a car grille too. As anyone else's avatar, I would have been delighted; but to have a car grille suddenly appear where a beautiful pooch is usually seen... well, Sergei Eisenstein taught us that you show one image and edit in a contrasting image and it becomes narrative. And this tale was as sad as Old Yeller.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Hey, let's keep to the topic!

Unfortunately, I missed Ina last night. I watched a piece of the movie, but found it so sexist and below par that I gave up after about 20 minutes.

However . . . . earlier in the week, being home sick, I looked in on Fox one afternoon, where "From the Terrace" was being broadcast. I don't like the movie very much -- Joanne Woodward miscast as a spoiled b****, and Paul Newman looking rather uncomfortable having to recite the lame and cliched dialog (he kept his head down throughout the movie). I honestly thought Ina came off best as the sweet and down to earth small town girl Newman ultimately leaves Woodward for.

If only some station would run "Black Orchid." Ina holds her own very well playing against Sophia Loren and Anthony Quinn.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Had my own "Balin sighting": she appears in one of favorite "Dick Van Dyke Show" episodes, "Draw Me a Pear" as the sexy Greenwich Village art instructor who is out to land Rob. She looks very pretty in it.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

"Charro!" was on TCM this morning, with a bearded Elvis making like a combination of Gary Cooper and Audie Murphy.

It's a rather silly movie, but I thought Ina looked very pretty as a belle of the Old West (sort of like a Brooklyn Katy Jurado), and she and Elvis made a very attractive couple.

Once again, movies like this make me wish that Ina had been given better roles during her career - she always transcended her lesser material, and always did justice to the better.