'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
Birdy

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by Birdy »

I feel for you, Fossy.
Just a miserable week here in S Central IL. Ok, all over the midwest. A bone-chilling, gusting rain and north wind makes a girl want to just play hooky and watch a Joan Blondell movie with her cat! We had such a beautiful couple of weeks of near perfect 80 degrees, I wish you all many more of those kind of days before Father Winter rears his ugly head.

How about my friends from the farthest north, any snow fly yet? It felt like it was about 1 degree away from snow on Thursday.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Wednesday was miserable in the City on the Lake -- a bone-chilling, gusting rain and north wind (sinking some of the boats that were still in harbors) and this boy did play hooky from a Visconti class, curling up instead and watching John Alton movies. Thursday was better, and Friday was gorgeous -- mid-60s, no wind, and plenty o' sunshine. Perfect.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

In Bloomfield, New Jersey near New York City we had an unexpected snow storm of major proportions. We had 5" of snow but others had up to 12". Trees still have leaves on them and both trees and large branches were falling everywhere. Our electric company has over 250,000 homes without power. We have power as of this moment but many do not.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stay warm and safe!!!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

knitwit45 wrote:Stay warm and safe!!!
Same Here ... Winter came early for Uncle Stevie
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Uncle Stevie, take care! We had some snow here too, about three inches. Last night, the wind was howling, the trees were cracking, and things were falling all over the place. It was a perfect night to cozy up in the dark warm house and watch Val Lewton on TCM!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, good to know you've got power! Stay warm and be very careful...we are getting reports of lots of falling limbs and whole trees toppling! eek.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We are safe, thank goodness. I heard lots of things crashing around, but of course, this morning we find there are only a few sticks and small limbs down... they sure sound big at night, especially around Halloween!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

yay! It probably didn't help if you were watching scary movies.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like the dark. It's FRIENDLY. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: not for me..... :shock:
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

After all is said and done this storm was a greater power problem than Irene. No floods, like Irene, but many more dark homes. Well over a million lost power in the Tri State area. Schools were closed for two day and Halloween got cancelled until Friday. My family did well except for one Son in Fairlawn, NJ who lost power for a day. Crews are overworked and still clearing trees from streets everywhere. I hope this is not an indication of the Winter to come.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I worry for those without power because it is much colder now than during Irene... luckily our temperatures have climbed back up to the 40's and 50's, but still, that's pretty cold when you have no heat.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

My company's New Jersey branch office has been closed all week -- the whole town has been without power since last weekend's storm. We know already they won't be reopening tomorrow; Friday would be the earliest. It was all the falling trees that did this damage to the electrical system. :o
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

There is quite a controversy here over whether the power company has acted fast enough... apparently they still haven't paid some of the workmen who they hired to clean up after Irene, so guess what? The workmen aren't showing up all that quick this time. Sad for those people still without power.

The estimate to have everyone up and running again is now Sunday night at midnight.

2 towns in our state have not had any power failures at all, thanks to a willingness to invest in underground cable systems.