What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

CineMaven

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by CineMaven »

ZOHRA LAMPERT

This isn't a horror film that I have seen lately. "LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH" is a horror film I look forward to seeing on TCM this coming Saturday morning (11/3/11 - 2:15AM). I haven't seen this film since my sister and I drove to the Whitestone Drive-In in the Bronx, back in 1971. Zohra Lampert was always kind of an odd-duck as an actress. And it helps her here in this film.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Saw the INVISIBLE MAN - 1933 Movie; Directed By: James Whale. Starring Claude Rains, Gloria Stewart, and William Harrigan. It's a classic terror of a man going insane while invisible. Very well made and the special effects are outstanding! I haven't seen this movie in years; and its remains a classic for the ages! Excellent Script and Supporting Actors and Actresses especially Una O'Connor who played Jenny Hall in this movie for the ages.

Claude Rains as the INVISIBLE MAN

Una O'Connor played - Jenny Hall
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As you say, this is one for the ages. Superbly directed, it's a thrilling story with not a moment wasted. It could be argued that the three great Universal horror films were the work of the same man. If there are people who won't watch this "corny, old-fashioned movie," Heaven help them. One may as well not read Shakespeare because there are no cell phones in it.

No less impressive is the adventure of Ed Begley, Jr THINKING he's invisible. He is, in fact, merely nude! If you've seen the rioutous AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON, you know what I speak of.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

RedRiver wrote:As you say, this is one for the ages. Superbly directed, it's a thrilling story with not a moment wasted. It could be argued that the three great Universal horror films were the work of the same man. If there are people who won't watch this "corny, old-fashioned movie," Heaven help them. One may as well not read Shakespeare because there are no cell phones in it.
"There's something rotten in Denmark." What, no FRESH DIRECT??

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Daughter of Darkess today, I guess it qualifies as a horror movie, a strange movie, reminded me a little of the Hammer House of Horror movies that my parents used to watch. Delphine Seyrig, did she copy Marlene Dietrich deliberately? She plays Countess Elizabeth Bathory a multiple murderess from history who used to torture and murder her victims and drink their blood. The ageless Bathory comes to stay at a hotel in Ostend, the receptionist recogniises her from 40 years previously, she hasn't changed. She's alighted on the hotel with her companion Ilona, they covet the young couple honeymooning at the hotel. He's turned on by murder and she has lesbian leanings, good job really as things go. The hubby is seduced by Ilona and kills her in the process and the wife is seduced by Bathory. I think I'd expected something else when I decided to watch this but it is quite fun in a kitsch kind of way, I couldn't help but like Seyrig's performance as the Countess and the ending was quite memorable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

2 B or not 2 B...Hold on. I have a call coming in!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Wouldn't Hamlet text, Red? After all, he is the Prince of Denmark.

Alison...where did you see 'DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS"? I haven't seen it in ages. Uh-oh.. I see it's time to call my "cinema-connection."

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched the 1993 (or so) "The Body Snatchers," the third film based on Jack Finney's novel.

I was very unimpressed. The movie didn't connect with me at all. The action was shifted to a Army base, and the heroine was an absolute newcomer/outsider there, so there was no feeling that her town was being taken away from her. Also, given the loss of the Cold War subtext, the story seemed oddly pointless. The only effort at updating was that they copied a scene from "Nightmare on Elm Street" and an idea from "the Lost Boys" and "Near Dark."

Really, I came away from this film with an increased respect for John Carpenter. First, Carpenter updated "The Thing," and while that isn't a perfect film, it worked a hell of a lot better than "The Body Snatchers" (either the 1978 or the 1993 version.) Also, with "They Live" (1988), Carpenter came up with an updated "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" for the post-Cold War world that had more contact with reality than "The Body Snatchers."

I wonder how terrible "The Invasion" (the 4th movie based on Finney's novel) is.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MikeBSG wrote: I wonder how terrible "The Invasion" (the 4th movie based on Finney's novel) is.
To me, it was mediocre at best ... I did not care for it.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

CineMaven wrote:Wouldn't Hamlet text, Red? After all, he is the Prince of Denmark.

Alison...where did you see 'DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS"? I haven't seen it in ages. Uh-oh.. I see it's time to call my "cinema-connection."
Already discussed here in this thread:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 730#p87730
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I got it from a friend, I think it's only had a region 1 release. It's fun, a little bleak in terms of outdoors yet bright in some of the interiors, not my usual but memorable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Already discussed here in this thread: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 730#p87730
Okay. Got it, Mr. A.:
[i][u]Michigan J[/u][/i] wrote:Daughters of Darkness (1971) A film that is slow as molasses but just as sweet. It's all atmosphere, as a young newlywed couple visit a nearly deserted resort in it's off season. Then two new guests arrive, one being Delphine Seyrig, who is perhaps more motionless in this resort than she was in Marienbad. That is until… It really is all atmosphere, and the washed out color palette, used throughout, adds to the hypnotic feeling, so that when the blood starts to flow it's wonderfully jarring.
[b][u]Mr. Arkadin[/u][/b] wrote:Daughters of Darkness is an incredible film. The original Blue Underground release was a 2 disc set with lots of extras, but that is now gone with The Blood Spattered Bride (1972) --an interesting film in its own right-- taking the place of the extras disc.
Thank you Alison.

feaito

Post by feaito »

feaito wrote:Today I watched a film that along with "The Haunting" (1963) and "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" (1973) had haunted me for years, since I saw them as a kid -and was not able to sleep well after seeing them!! :shock: In fact, while watching TH I had to turn off the TV because I was trembling of fear, literally!! The film is "Legend of Hell House" (1974), which I found as creepy, scary, disturbing and impressive while watching it today than more than 30 years ago...It's bloodier than the other two, well paced and acted...and the mystery lingers until its ending. Loved it and will watch it again sometime!
Yesterday I revisited "Legend of Hell House" (1973) - I watched it with my brother-in-law, who said it's OK- and I think it's very well done (the atmosphere, the suspense, the special effects,...); a classic of the 1970s.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Legend of Hell House is one of those rare American art-type horror works, filmed on a decent budget with great cinematography. While it does have some spectacular effects, it is also a multi-layered film that gives us much to think and reflect on, unlike many simplistic shockers of the seventies and beyond.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll have to give "Hell House" another try. I saw it with friends when it came out. I was the only one who didn't care for it. It felt forced. Like the actors, and the writers, were merely going through the motions. But I was 19. I really didn't know anything!