BATTLE OF THE BLONDES.

Discussion of programming on TCM.
knitwit45

Re: BATTLE OF THE BLONDES.

Post by knitwit45 »

On the name thing, if I see someone has signed their real name to a post, I assume that to be permission to use it. I often call those I correspond with by their 'real' name, versus their 'reel' name..
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Sorry that I called you by your name and offended you... I thought that you were called that when you were interviewed by Robert Osborne some years ago and that it was OK to address you as such - I won't again and will make it a solution to never respond to your posts again. I appologize if I outed your incognito status...

I thought that we were all friends on this board; not like TCM, where I never go anymore...
I have always thought that it was polite to address someone by their name, but since we are now to tread on tiptoes about names, I will resign myself to just lurking and non posts...

Larry
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Larry Larry Larry...Whaddya talkin' about??? You have NOT offended me. Not in the least. Not at all. It looks like it is I who've offended you. You're taking what I wrote in the absolutely wrong spirit. You all ARE friends on this Board. (The name oasis is so apropos). If anything, I am relatively new here though I've posted off and on for a good while. If you don't wish to post to me, I'll accept that. But I'm tellin' you, I'm holding no malice towards you at all. I just had to get clarification about the culture here and how people address each other. That's all. Look at the posts subsequent to my asking what's the etiquette here. Folks told me their take on how things are done here and I have a better idea. So I'm cool with it all. I have nothing against you. But again, if you don't wish to post to me after this...I accept your decision.

Theresa.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Larry:

Things have been such over the last few years at TCM that quite a few people wished to be addressed only by their screen name because of trolls. Stalking may be more the word for what went on in some cases. Several other friends here suffered a similar situation there.

I think Theresa was happy to find that is not an issue here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I think the Moody Blues said it (sang it) best...

NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN

That's right.

And if you don't know who THAT is, ask your father. Or your grandfather. I think she was the IT girl of the 1930's and you've got a couple of chances to see why, when TCM airs her films. If she's not quite your cup of tea, no worries. The month's not over and TCM's not finished with us (or blondes) yet.

Who knows if blondes have more fun. But it's sure fun to watch this one. My favorite of today's bunch would be "BOMBSHELL." She's not afraid to make fun of her self or her image. While she's mostly the 'straight man' while all around her is manic, her comic timing is impeccable. She doesn't play the joke, she plays the situation. Sorry girls, no Gable tonite...but I've recently read the virtues of Franchot Tone extolled. TCM's giving us The Blonde and it'll be a good fifteen years before the next blonde comes along and blows EVERYone's mind.

Hmmm, I wonder what Jean would have made of Norma Jean.....

6:00 PM DINNER AT EIGHT (1933)
A high-society dinner party masks a hotbed of scandal and intrigue.
Dir: George Cukor Cast: Marie Dressler, John Barrymore , Wallace Beery. BW-111 mins, TV-PG, CC.

12:00 AM BOMBSHELL (1933)
A glamorous film star rebels against the studio, her pushy press agent and a family of hangers-on. Dir: Victor Fleming Cast: Lee Tracy, Frank Morgan. BW-96 mins, TV-G, CC.

1:45 AM PLATINUM BLONDE (1931)
A heartless heiress seduces a hard-working reporter into a disastrous marriage. Dir: Frank R. Capra Cast: Loretta Young, Robert Williams. BW-89 mins, TV-G.

3:30 AM HARLOW: THE BLONDE BOMBSHELL (1993)
Sharon Stone hosts this look at Jean Harlow's rise to stardom and her tragic end. Dir: Tom McQuade Cast: Sharon Stone, C-47 mins, TV-G, CC.

4:30 AM GIRL FROM MISSOURI, THE (1934)
A gold-digging chorus girl tries to keep her virtue while searching for a rich husband. Dir: Jack Conway Cast: Lionel Barrymore, Franchot Tone. BW-72 mins, TV-PG, CC.

[youtube][/youtube]

I'd like to think Jean'd laugh, slap her on the back and say "Go get 'em honey! Just like I did!!!" She'd be proud.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Nice post, Teresita! I really, REALLY like DINNER AT EIGHT, an even better Grand Hotel style story than GRAND HOTEL! BOMBSHELL is clever and stylish. PLATINUM BLONDE not so much. The more I see of Capra's resume, the more I understand why he's best known for four similar films.

Earlier in this thread, you posed a question about some men not liking Harlow. That's not unfathomable. A man wants to be the strong one in the relationship. Jean would smack the **** out of me! It's nice to have the woman defer once in a while. This woman? Probably not! Gable handled her. Had John Wayne been a few years older, they would have torn up the screen together. Me? I'm better off with Grace Kelly!