Actors you watch, no matter what the film is about

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Libertine

Re: Actors you watch, no matter what the film is about

Post by Libertine »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I want to add Peter Lorre to my list, I find it difficult to watch anyone else when he is on the screen.
Have you seen "The Lost One"? Great film. Written, directed and starring himself.

@kingme: I can understand you. You have made your decision, you have your principles and you stick to them. I am the opposite, there are movie genres I do not like (Westerns and war movies, for an example), but when I admire an actor or an actress, I want to see, if possible, his whole body of work, so to say. To see how he or she developed, etc.
[color=#400080][i]Perhaps I am mad. How should I know? I think I am normal.[/i]
~Tallulah Bankhead[/color]

I made myself a signature, but found out I can not use it.... world is cruel. :(
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/leaudlunique/avatars%20and%20banners/tallulah.png
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I would love to see The Lost One, I've looked for it but it hasn't been released here. I've recently bought a book about Lorre which is called The Lost One, it looks very good, haven't had chance to read it yet but I have glanced through the text.

War and western genre aren't for me but I will make the foray into the genre, usually to watch one of my favorites, Jean Arthur in Shane is a good example. Otherwise I've watched westerns because of the director, heavens, I actually like some of John Ford's.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I would love to see The Lost One, I've looked for it but it hasn't been released here. I've recently bought a book about Lorre which is called The Lost One, it looks very good, haven't had chance to read it yet but I have glanced through the text.
I have a copy of Die Verlorene (The Lost-One) but it's in German with French subs. If you fancy it, just ask.
charliechaplinfan

Thankyou, I might take you up on that when I've read his book.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I didn't know what category to put this in...and I didn't want to start a whole thread. So I thought here might be the best place. No no, not James Craig! Clark Gable.

CLARK GABLE. Really, has there ever been a more manly man. He's not a swashbuckler or a Robin Hood. No dashing pirate, he was solid (Mr. Christian!!!!!) He's so rooted, so grounded. He's like an old oak tree...or a giant Sequoia. He's a general, pilot, reporter, a submarine captain, a huckster, big game hunter, race car driver, cowboy, gambler, newspaperman. He could be gentle, mothered, a little boy(ish), a ladies' man, a man's man. Rakish, devilish, stubborn, roguish. Funny, he never played a detective. I wonder why. Oh well. I think he's all Men wrapped up into one handsome rugged hunk. He'll break your heart, he'll rough you up (...and you'll love it), he'll love you up (...and you'll love it), he'll protect you and disappoint you, he'll cry on your shoulder (though not often). He can be a bad boy, Girls, I just love him.

HA! You think those ladies were...acting? (Ask Crawford).

No, I'm afraid no Gable TCM today. He just slowly wafted through my mind as I thought about him this sad day.

I had to go to IMDB to make sure I didn't miss a drop of Gable. Here'd be my list...and other than the top two...I'll take Gable in any order; any way I can get him:

1. Gone With the Wind
2. The Hucksters

A Free Soul
Night Nurse
Red Dust
No Man of Her Own
Susan Lenox, Her Fall and Rise
Manhattan Melodrama
It Happened One Night
China Seas
Mutiny on the Bounty
Wife vs Secretary
San Francisco
Test Pilot
Boom Town
Command Decision
Any Number Can Play
Mogambo
The Misfits
Last edited by CineMaven on November 16th, 2011, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Robert Ryan
Timothy Carey
Edward G. Robinson
John Garfield
Bela Lugosi
Timothy Farrell
Sterling Hayden
Gene Evans
Jeff Bridges
Johnny Depp
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT...MY HEART

RALPH MEEKER.

TCM spotlights this under-rated, intense and interesting actor in a myriad performances today:

7:00 AM SHADOW IN THE SKY (1951)
A shell-shocked veteran tries to recover his sanity while living with his sister. Dir: Fred M. Wilcox Cast: Ralph Meeker, Nancy Davis, James Whitmore. BW-78 mins, TV-PG,

8:30 AM GLORY ALLEY (1952)
A boxer's drinking problem threatens his career and his love life. Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Ralph Meeker, Leslie Caron, Kurt Kaszner. BW-79 mins, TV-G, CC, (Gilbert Roland's in this one...)

10:00 AM JEOPARDY (1953)
A woman desperately seeks help to prevent her trapped husband from drowning. Dir: John Sturges Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Barry Sullivan, Ralph Meeker. BW-69 mins, TV-PG, CC,

11:15 AM NAKED SPUR, THE (1953)
A captive outlaw uses psychological tactics to prey on a bounty hunter.Dir: Anthony Mann Cast: James Stewart, Janet Leigh, Robert Ryan. C-92 mins, TV-PG, CC,

1:00 PM KISS ME DEADLY (1955)
Detective Mike Hammer fights to solve the murder of a beautiful hitchhiker with a mysterious connection to the Mob. Dir: Robert Aldrich Cast: Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker, Paul Stewart. BW-106 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

3:00 PM PATHS OF GLORY (1957)
A military lawyer comes to question the status quo when he defends three men accused of cowardice. Dir: Stanley Kubrick Cast: Fred Bell, John Stein, Harold Benedict. BW-88 mins, TV-PG, CC,

4:30 PM RUN OF THE ARROW (1957)
A bitter Confederate veteran joins a Sioux tribe to keep his war against the Union going. Dir: Samuel Fuller Cast: Rod Steiger, Sarita Montiel, Brian Keith. C-86 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

6:00 PM ADA (1961)
A call girl weds an easygoing politician and helps him against corrupt state officials. Dir: Daniel Mann Cast: Susan Hayward, Dean Martin, Wilfrid Hyde-White. C-108 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There aren't many for me. With so many movies available, I want something to go on besides a personality. But I'll just about always trust John Wayne. I'm lucky. He worked with the best directors; chose exciting stories about strong men. (Contrasting with Cinemaven's Gable comment, Duke was very much a MAN'S man!) You have to be in the mood for Singing Sandy and The Three Mesquiteers. But from STAGECOACH to THE SHOOTIST, this is one star that shone pretty consistently.

Audrey Hepburn is special to me. Not a great actress. Some of her films were lacking. But what magnetism! What beauty! I'm not talking about lust. That kind of beauty is art. I can't think of a time when I didn't enjoy watching her, even if I didn't like the movie. It would take a lot to get me to NOT to watch Karloff. But it could happen. Same with Spencer Tracy.

W. C. Fields? Who doesn't like a typical Fields comedy? But I watched MRS. WIGGS AND THE CABBAGE PATCH too. DAVID COPPERFIELD. When Professor Eustace McGargle holds class, I'm in attendance!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Teresita, Gable is the classic combination of a ladies' man and a man's. Part Errol Flynn, part John Wayne. Romantic and playful. But tough enough to stand the line. I guess there's a little James Bond in there too! There are some male stars who make me think, "What do women see in that reptile?" Gable? Oh, yeah! That I can see!
charliechaplinfan

I didn't care for Audrey Hepburn's looks until I saw her on film, perhaps I was too young to appreciate her when I starting getting interested in movies but once I'd seen Roman Holiday I was hooked. She ca't put a foot wrong, even when the movie isn't that great I still love watching her. Conversely I can't get into Doris Day, some of her movies are really good but I don't get her. Strange I should link them two together, perhaps it's because they were at their pinnacle in the sixties.

John Wayne is someone I can't trust to like, he's done some fine movies which I like but I just don't get him, I read his biography and really wanted to see some of his movies off the back of it but found them lacking, I'm especially thinking of Hondo. From a girl's point of view I wouldn't cross the road for him, the list of men I would cross the road for is huge, Gable and Flynn being the most obvious in magnetism but there are plenty of different types that I like. Errol Flynn, he's made some good movies but also some not so good I can watch just the same, especially when he was in his prime. Gable is one on his own.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ImageImage

Hi Alison, It's Theresa here. Tell me...what is it that you don't get about Doris Day? Is it something you can explain? I like them both, but I am more drawn to Doris Day b'cuz I thought her films were easier for me to digest. I think Doris Day can do drama, comedy, she sang, could dance and had such a sunny persona.

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's fascinating to stumble across STORM WARNING, a Ku Klux Klan drama from the early 50's. Not only is Doris fine in a dramatic role, so is the underrated Ginger Rogers, and a guy named Reagan, I believe. Whatever happened to him?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote: and a guy named Reagan, I believe. Whatever happened to him?
After he did "Hellcats of the Navy" back in 1957, he shifted (on the advice of his agent) to Television and pretty much kissed his Movie Career goodbye. He wanted to get into Television because its an easy way to make a buck and wanted to spend more time into politics of which he became the Governor (the 33rd) of California from 1967 to 1975; and later on became President of the United States from 1981 to 1989.

He did some radio and miscellaneous work also on the advice of his agent to make him very versatile in the Entertainment Industry.

Here is his complete IMDb Listing
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001654/
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: