DuBarry Was a Lady

knitwit45

"our" mysterious lady

Post by knitwit45 »

Jack, I just watched "Good News", and there she was...buried in the back of the line this time, but there nonetheless. I really wasn't sure it was her until the very last number, and sure nuff... Either she or the wardrobe lady really liked her in purple. She's sporting a purple dress and a red headband. What a trendsetter!

So the hunt continues!
Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Nancy, is your mystery girl wearing the purple dress and the red headband in the Varsity Drag number? I want to pop in my Good News dvd and look for her.

Also, can you describe what she looks like/is wearing in Meet Me in St. Louis?

Sandy K
knitwit45

The girl in the purple dress....

Post by knitwit45 »

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... adID=90923 will take you to the original question I asked about her. There is a picture of her, directly behind Tom Drake, in the Trolley Song number. She's wearing a blue hat, with a red ribbon. She's in "Easter Parade", when Fred comes down the stairs in his solo #, she's right next to him looking up. Had a gorgeous smile, and was in every number in MMISL.

Thanks!
Nancy
Moraldo Rubini

Mystery Woman

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

sandykaypax wrote:... Also, can you describe what she looks like/is wearing in Meet Me in St. Louis?
She's the one on the far left, in blue...
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Thanks, Nancy and Marco. Yes, I recognize her from Meet Me in St. Louis.

However, back to my first question--in Good News, is she wearing the purple dress in the final number, The Varsity Drag?

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

"She's sporting a purple dress and a red headband. What a trendsetter! "

Yes, that's her. Sure wish someone could come up with a name and story for her.

Thanks
Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

knitwit45 wrote:Jack, was "our" girl one of the Dubarry ladies? The cast listing for "Meet Me In St. Louis" lists the chorus as the MGM Music Maids. They also were in "The Pirate". Wonder if there is an actual list of names for the Music Maids. I went to IMDB, but no luck there.

Thanks!

Nancy
I found this. Hope it's helpful :D

Music Maids, The top of page
The Music Maids

Vocal group consisting of (see photo l-r) Dottie Messmer, Denny Wilson, Patricia Hyatt and Alice Sizer. Did mostly backup vocals in movies.

Additional members at various times: Bobbie Canvin, Jeanne Darrell, Alice Ludes, Virginia Erwin.

I've heard that the group was formed and managed by Kay Thompson of MGM, but I can't confirm this.

Feature Films:

Jamboree (1944)
A WAVE, a WAC and a Marine (1944)
Hit Parade of 1943 (1943)
Hoosier Holiday (1943)
Girl Crazy (1943)
Panama Hattie (1942)
Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940)

(l-r) Dottie Messmer, Denny Wilson,
Patricia Hyatt and Alice Sizer[/b]
Moraldo Rubini

Mystery Pic

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Thanks Fernando! I don't think she was one of the Music Maids, but that information was a swell addition to this thread. And I just noticed that my link to the Meet Me in St. Louis picture of our mystery gal isn't working. Is it working for y'all? Shoot!
knitwit45

not yet...

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi, Fernando. Thanks for the great info. You guys never cease to amaze me with the depth of information you uncover. Unfortunately, our mystery lady is not in the picture you provided.

Is there another database that goes a little deeper than IMDB? Their information doesn't usually help much.

Thanks for your detective work!

Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

I hope that the mystery will be solved someday :wink:
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Thank you for the Music Maids info and picture, Feaito! Those ladies certainly do look familiar to me! Especially the lady second from the left--Denny Wilson. She definitely is in Meet Me in St. Louis.

Nancy, you've got me hooked now trying to figure out this mystery lady! How could you? :lol:

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Believe me, it's a fine madness...I find myself scouring the chorus of any MGM musical, instead of paying attention to the number. I've spotted her in one number of Easter Parade, can't remember the song right off, but it's when Fred does a number coming down a flight of stairs, and she's on his right. I've seen her in The Great Ziegfeld as a dancer in the Cyd Charisse number, Moraldo has seen her in The Pirate.

Months ago, Mongo gave me the address for Margaret O'Brien, and I wrote to her, asking for any information she might provide, but I never heard back.

I wonder if Cyd Charisse might remember? Mongo, if you're out there, do you have any contact info for her?

Thanks, all
Nancy
Moraldo Rubini

Aunty Long Legs

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

knitty wrote:I wonder if Cyd Charisse might remember? Mongo, if you're out there, do you have any contact info for her?
I wish I did, but alas... You know, wasn't there a poster on TCM claimed to be a niece of Miss Charisse or something like that?