Alice Faye

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sandy:

It's probably the exposure. I think a lot of people don't have FOX (FMC). On the old cable I had at my old apartment, FMC was part of the first level, so I know what it is all about, but then it was moved to the second level and I lost it. When I got my present Dish network, it's always been on the higher level, so again I don't have it, and I suppose that's the problem with a lot of people. I'm skipping on the edge with $62.00 a month right now, and going to $82.00 a month for only one more channel and tons more sports, mexican, and news channels is not worth it for me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

MGM (Many Great Musicals)

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I think the That's Entertainment! really solidified the impression that MGM was the best in musicals, implying that all others were pale comparisons. The majority of the public just took that at face value and didn't explore further. It's a shame, for the color musicals at Fox are so delightful to watch. The dancing of the Nicholas Brothers thrills me, Alice Faye's brooding mezzo is lovely... and all those characters behind the stars: Charlotte Greenwood, Edward Everett Horton, Carmen Miranda. That's entertainment too! I've been revelling in Cover Girl the past couple of days. I think it's one of my favorites, and it came from Columbia -- not known for musicals. Harry Cohn should have been proud. Those Warner musicals of the 1930's are so great to see too. The Gold Diggers, and other Busy Berkeley desserts are rich!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I completely agree. MGM did not have the copyright on great musicals.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
feaito

Alice...

Post by feaito »

I've liked Alice Faye in the few films I've seen her in ("Poor Little Rich Girl", "Fallen Angel", "In Old Chicago" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band") and I definitely want to see more of her!

The (Fox) Alice Faye Collector's Set is in my Wish List! Has anyone seen "On The Avenue", it's one of her films which intrigues me the most, especially because of the wonderful Irving Berlin score.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

I have got to get FMC! All those movies you guys talk about...sigh.
Anyway, here's a youtube clip of Alice Faye singing "Foolin' with Another Woman's Man." Pure pre-code gold. SPencer Tracy too.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Has anyone seen "Hollywood Cavalcade"(1939)? I recorded it last week and what a pleasant surprise! Buster Keaton is shown in the film as Alice Fay's silent movie partner and the gags they pull off is so hilarious. Don Ameche plays the director who discovers Faye and makes her a star. Great film, you all should see it.

Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Metsfan - I have seen this listed on the Fox Movie Channel lineup, but have not recorded it as yet, but I will now as I had no idea Buster Keaton has a bit in it. Thanks for the heads-up!
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

You're welcome! I'm sure you'll have a blast as I did in the beginning of the film. Let me know your thoughts after seeing it.
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Garbomaniac and Feaito have already mentioned it, I'll iterate for emphasis. Alice Faye fans, see "On the Avenue', not only her best but one of the all time great movies. Just the scene where she sings 'This Year's Kisses' is enough to put the film on the best picture list.
You'll also like some of her early films, 'George White's Scandals' (Before Hayes ) she sings 'Oh, You nasty man' and 'My Dog loves your Dog. In 'King of Burlesque' ( I think ) she sings 'Shooting High'. a good one
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the feedback melwalton and welcome to the Boards.
melwalton

Alice Faye

Post by melwalton »

Feaito
I hope you get to see it, I'm sure you'll like it.
melwalton

JohnM

Post by melwalton »

Hi John, nice to hear from you.
feaito

Re: Alice Faye

Post by feaito »

melwalton wrote:Feaito
I hope you get to see it, I'm sure you'll like it.
I'm sure too melwaton. I think the only way to see it will be by means of buying the Alice Faye DVD Collection.