What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Allhallowsday

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Allhallowsday »

EP Millstone wrote: April 9th, 2023, 2:44 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: April 8th, 2023, 3:33 pm . . . There is more than a passing resemblance, I like both those artists, but DONOVAN is in a league of his own. Apparently, also frequently compared with DYLAN as a songwriter and performer, and not favorably by the Brit press. They must've invented mean copy.
Listen to Donovan singing "Catch the Wind." To my ears, he was definitely trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Fortunately, he abandoned the mimicry and found his own voice...
No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 7:57 am No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
HA! Nothing compared to the middle school level nastiness encountered on the internet.

I never listened to Donovan back in the day. It's about time I revisit his body of work rather than only knowing his radio songs.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: April 10th, 2023, 8:41 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 7:57 am No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
HA! Nothing compared to the middle school level nastiness encountered on the internet.

I never listened to Donovan back in the day. It's about time I revisit his body of work rather than only knowing his radio songs.
That's all anybody knows... speaking with hyperbole.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

TikiSoo wrote: April 10th, 2023, 8:41 am

(One reason I quit FaceBook was that it too much reminded me of being in the eighth grade. ;) )

OK. Let's try starting off with one you might know, but was the "B" side to one of his radio hits....(First There Is A Mountain)

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I think Mr. Zimmerman is a brilliant songwriter/lyricist. How anyone who has heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Tight Connection" could disagree baffles me.

Each to their own, I guess.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 10th, 2023, 4:37 pm I think Mr. Zimmerman is a brilliant songwriter/lyricist. How anyone who has heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Tight Connection" could disagree baffles me.

You guess?

Folks who expect everyone to agree with and share their opinion need to get over it.

To me, Bob Dylan was always overrated. He never impressed or interested me. I never got the fuss over him.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Interesting remarks by all. I can see anyone in DYLAN's shoes being a "poser". I may also agree that he is "overrated" but I've known people hate this or hate that. There are a few acts I do not care for, and enjoy knocking them. To each his own is cool.

I think it's a good idea to "get over" pushing buttons just to push them. We can all agree to disagree. :)
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Thompson wrote: April 10th, 2023, 1:50 pm ... However, his early stuff, through Blonde On Blonde is like listening to a whole world of music possibilities. He took it where it had never been before. I wouldn’t call him a poser, but a first rate thief. He soaked up and stole all the music that came his way. That’s what you’re supposed to do, and transformed folk songs into something else. Language, once again, is key. Dylan’s songs don’t “mean” anything, it’s all about “the way you feel” when you listen. The lyrics convey an emotion, not an idea.
I listen to Bringing It All Back Home Highway 61 Revisited and of course, Blonde On Blonde, maybe his best 3. I listen to Greatest Hits Vol 2 most, though. I'm a record lover and DYLAN has given us some fine records.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 11:31 pm Interesting remarks by all. I can see anyone in DYLAN's shoes being a "poser". I may also agree that he is "overrated" but I've known people hate this or hate that. We can all agree to disagree.
But it turns into harassment when you attack the person who's opinion differs from yours.

Another polarizing figure is Tom Waits-some think he's funny & brilliant, while others see him as a Ken Nordine imitator, poser. I see both sides of that argument but like his work anyway. I'd never pay money to see him, but think his work has some merit.

This is what I'm listening to right now:

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Tom Waits varies for me from brilliant to unlistenable; sometimes on the same album. :lol: Overall I love his stuff, particularly the weirder more "recent" work after his voice blew out.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: April 11th, 2023, 6:56 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 11:31 pm Interesting remarks by all. I can see anyone in DYLAN's shoes being a "poser". I may also agree that he is "overrated" but I've known people hate this or hate that. We can all agree to disagree.
But it turns into harassment when you attack the person who's opinion differs from yours.
All depends on how one offers their opinion. E.g., when someone says they don't understand, or is baffled that others don't see it like them, that is an insult. So is saying someone is overrated or underrated. I.e. these are examples of criticism of someone's opinion and not criticisms of the actual artist\musician\actor etc. Both are arrogant statements of: I get it, but you don't.

As for Dylan: from a musical perspective I rank Dylan as middle of the pack (if that); much more of a poet than a musician.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:15 am I get it, but you don't.
Can we all just drop the arguing? :smiley_cheers:
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Intrepid37 wrote: April 10th, 2023, 4:37 pm I think Mr. Zimmerman is a brilliant songwriter/lyricist. How anyone who has heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" or "Subterranean Homesick Blues" or "Tight Connection" could disagree baffles me.

I liked Dylan since my stepsister brought home his eponymous debut album. James doesn't rate him high as a musician, but for a self taught guitar player does some good work on the song "Baby Let Me Follow You Down" on that LP. And he didn't "steal" as much as absorb many music styles and genres over the early years of his career(which includes the time before he started recording). There's a story of in his early years in New York he became friends with a guy that had an immense and eclectic record collection. Dylan loved going to the guy's house and spend entire days listening to everything he could. When the guy had to go out of town for a few weeks Dylan, still jonesing for those records, figured out a way to break into the house and spent all his time there listening.

As for "It's Alright Ma(I'm Only Bleeding)" I've often said it remains my favorite because it said everything I was thinking and feeling at the time but I couldn't put into words. And how can you NOT like lyrics like----

"Disillusioned words like bullets bark;
as human Gods aim for their marks;
Make everything from toy guns that spark;
To flesh colored Christs that glow in the dark;
It's easy to see without looking too far;
That not much is really sacred."
If THAT doesn't say anything, you just ain't listening. ;)

Sepiatone
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 11th, 2023, 10:15 am All depends on how one offers their opinion. E.g., when someone says they don't understand, or is baffled that others don't see it like them, that is an insult. So is saying someone is overrated or underrated. I.e. these are examples of criticism of someone's opinion and not criticisms of the actual artist\musician\actor etc. Both are arrogant statements of: I get it, but you don't . . .
I somewhat agree. Tone of voice definitely affects how a message is received.

"I get it, but you don't" is arrogant. But, I disagree that saying someone is overrated or underrated is arrogant. I'll leave it at that. We have a difference of opinion (and outlook on people) on the intention/meaning behind "overrated" and "underrated," and, to me, it's not worth the time and energy to argue the matter.

As I see it, people have only so much control over how other people are going to interpret and react to their opinions. Yes, being deliberately abrasive and caustic (Guilty!) will guarantee a hostile/insulted/hurt/retaliatory reaction. My tone of voice entirely depends on whether or not I like and respect the person I am addressing.

But some folks -- waaaaaaay too many folks, IMO -- are so bloody thin-skinned -- so insufferably hypersensitive -- that no matter how blandly, how delicately, how diplomatically, and how politely an opinion is expressed, they are going to react negatively, feeling insulted . . . or "attacked." If A likes an artist and B criticizes that artist, A might be offended by the criticism and take the criticism as a personal slight on their taste and judgment. Oh well. With such cases, the back-handed expression "let us agree to disagree" (translation: You're an idiot, never gonna get it, and I'm done wasting my time with you) has become a popular and economical time-saving-exit strategy.

I'm at a stage in life where I feel comfortable enough in my own skin to freely express myself without a filter. I'm not wasting my time worrying about how others (especially others who have zero significance in my life) perceive my opinions . . . and me. I'll leave it up to the SSO mods to decide when they've had enough of the aggravation and bother my "harassment" causes them and "pull the plug."

Because I ain't changin', Y'all!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields