Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Sepiatone wrote: July 13th, 2023, 10:27 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:29 pm
Sepiatone wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:59 am

Sure. And I might have found "Bringing Up Baby" a better movie if it turned out that in fact it was CHESTER MORRIS who wrote "The Grapes Of Wrath" but he didn't.
:roll: :headbang:

Sepiatone

Huh????

Obviously, you don't know what The Wife was about or you would understand the point that skimpole was making.
POINT? So enlighten me O sage.

Sepiatone
Skimpole already did:

"I'm not seeing the analogy here. The whole point of The Wife is that it is the long-suffering wife, not the honored husband, who actually wrote the esteemed books. But Patricia Neal and Claire Bloom didn't write their husband's books, so the conceit seems more like a feminist revenge fantasy.".

But, don't worry, no one will call you an O sage.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 13th, 2023, 12:01 pm
Sepiatone wrote: July 13th, 2023, 10:27 am
BagelOnAPlate wrote: July 12th, 2023, 11:29 pm

Huh????

Obviously, you don't know what The Wife was about or you would understand the point that skimpole was making.
POINT? So enlighten me O sage.

Sepiatone
Skimpole already did:

"I'm not seeing the analogy here. The whole point of The Wife is that it is the long-suffering wife, not the honored husband, who actually wrote the esteemed books. But Patricia Neal and Claire Bloom didn't write their husband's books, so the conceit seems more like a feminist revenge fantasy.".

But, don't worry, no one will call you an O sage.
Thanks, james.

You are correct that Sepiatone will never be addressed as "O sage."
****giggle giggle ***
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Now one might expect a Sci/Fi Movie to be BAD or at least NOT particularly GOOD... Sometimes a film succeeds in being BOTH !!! :D

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: July 13th, 2023, 9:41 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 12th, 2023, 5:55 pm
Hibi wrote: July 11th, 2023, 1:12 pm Speaking of bad movies, I was able to record and watch The Oscar a few weeks ago which I missed back in Oscar month! What a stinker! Even worse than I remembered. Cant decide which was worse: the script (Harlan Ellison co-wrote!!); or Stephen Boyd's performance. It's a close race! Tony Bennett is pretty bad too, but he's not really an actor (playing a character called HYMIE KELLY! He had a Jewish and an Irish parent!!) SOOOOOOO BAD. Some of the worst wigs/falls imaginable on poor Elke Sommer's head! BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

A classic turkey to be sure, Hibi! I've always found Stephen Boyd guilty of overacting but here he definitely outdoes himself. I think Edith Head has a cameo which is never a good sign. (this also applies to Jose Iturbi; whenever he shows up in anything you know the film is a mediocre slog)

Also Hedda Hopper! Hopper died a month before the film was released so didn't get a chance to pan the film!

LOL!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986)-I've had the opportunity to see this multiple broadcasts lately. It's what I think of as intentionally "bad" as in hokey. I always liked it despite rolling my eyes too frequently. :D
jamesjazzguitar

Next week's Noir Alley file is Julie (1956), with Doris Day, Louis Jourdan and Barry Sullivan. Posting here because I found this on Wiki:

Julie is listed in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book The Official Razzie Movie Guide as one of the "100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made".
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Although a far fetched plot, I wouldn't call it bad. The overly dramatic narration is a bit over the top, but the film moves at a fast clip and from the first scene the viewer is pulled in. Haven't seen it in awhile and looking forward to watching with Eddie's take on things. Another Andrew/Virginia Stone project that takes place in, I think, a 24 hr time period. I think this was Doris' first independent project after she left WB. Think her company produced or co-produced it.
Last edited by Hibi on July 20th, 2023, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Hibi wrote: July 20th, 2023, 3:51 pm Although a far fetched plot, I wouldn't call it bad. The overly dramatic narration is a bit over the top, but the film moves at a fast clip and from the first scene the viewer is pulled in. Haven't seen it in awhile and looking forward to watching with Eddie's take on things. Another Andrew/Virginia Stone project that takes place in real time....I think this was Doris' first independent project after she left WB. Think her company produced or co-produced it.
Correct about being Day's and her husband's production company making the film (and it being the 1st one), with MGM just the distributor.

As for the film: I haven't seen it in so long I can't remember what my reaction was.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 20th, 2023, 4:15 pm
Hibi wrote: July 20th, 2023, 3:51 pm Although a far fetched plot, I wouldn't call it bad. The overly dramatic narration is a bit over the top, but the film moves at a fast clip and from the first scene the viewer is pulled in. Haven't seen it in awhile and looking forward to watching with Eddie's take on things. Another Andrew/Virginia Stone project that takes place in real time....I think this was Doris' first independent project after she left WB. Think her company produced or co-produced it.
Correct about being Day's and her husband's production company making the film (and it being the 1st one), with MGM just the distributor.

As for the film: I haven't seen it in so long I can't remember what my reaction was.
Taken at face value, the film is over the top from the get go, but if you suspend disbelief, you don't really have time to dwell on the implausible plot machinations. It's rarely dull. For Doris it brought back bad memories of her first husband, but she did fall in love with Carmel during filming and spend her retirement years living there.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

I'm a big fan of Doris Day.
I agree that Julie is not a bad movie.
I'm looking forward to Eddie Muller's remarks and, of course, to seeing the movie.

The trope of a stewardess being forced to fly the airplane when the pilot is incapacitated (or dies!) occurs in Julie nearly 20 years before the most famous example with Karen Black in Airport 1975.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

According to the Internet, which would never lie, Airport 1975 intentionally copied Julie, which was also copied for laughs in Airplane.
I too am a big Doris Day fan.
There is a colorized version of Julie and I watched the opening scene.
I"m thinking Julie is new at this driving thing. The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm According to the Internet, which would never lie, Airport 1975 intentionally copied Julie, which was also copied for laughs in Airplane.
I"m thinking Julie is new at this driving thing. The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
She can fly a plane but not drive a car...
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just watched Hangover Square for the first time...

The talent of the cast pulls this period piece through, imho. I never tire of Linda Darnell in a role where she's conniving sweetness, she's so great at it!

According to our Noir friend Eddie Muller, Creegar desired "leading man" roles but despite his weight loss & intensity still comes across as more of a cuddly bear than sexiness. I was reminded of very sexy Vincent Price whom Muller mentioned took over Creegar roles after he died unexpectedly.
Any movie where GEORGE SANDERS is the most subtly played charactor...oy!

But the ending was just so silly and over-the-top...made it slide into Bad Movie territory-

jamesjazzguitar

txfilmfan wrote: July 20th, 2023, 9:47 pm
jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm According to the Internet, which would never lie, Airport 1975 intentionally copied Julie, which was also copied for laughs in Airplane.
She can fly a plane but not drive a car...
That was funny! Yea, some of Day's "I'm in fear" actions are over the top but this does keep the suspense moving at a good pace as Hibi said.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm ...The steering wheel bit is stupid hilarious.
LOL

Yeah, either the power steering is way over-boosted on Doris' Chrysler there, or she should have her machanic take a serious look at its tie rods. ;)

(...actually, this might be the most extreme example I've ever seen of an actor "over-steering" a car's wheel while obviously being filmed in front of a rear-projected backdrop)