MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dargo

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Dargo »

And while I'm not sure about Burl, I know Welles would probably know the proper wine to pair with his meals, anyway.

Uh-huh, that's right. Any wine that's not "served before its time"! You guessed it. ;)

Hey, and speakin' of potent potables and that jolly ole sot, ahem, I mean the jolly ole soul here...Anyone remember this ad he did for Jim Beam and which also featured his daughter Rebecca?...

This being just one more in a long list of the hawking of the wares of various companies during the twilight of his life:

https://www.newsweek.com/16-hilarious-e ... ing-329227
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I read a review of a film Welles was in, late in his career. The critic said that Welles seemed to be making a career of playing fat old men sitting down.

I met one of his kids once, a woman named Christopher.

This has got to be one of his oddest roles:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo, I remember all those Orson ads and commercials, which certainly dates me, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My all-time favorite Orson Welles performance: TOUCH OF EVIL.
"Didn't you bring back any donuts?"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: August 15th, 2023, 6:52 pm I read a review of a film Welles was in, late in his career. The critic said that Welles seemed to be making a career of playing fat old men sitting down.
Well, somebody had to take over for Greenstreet after he bit the dust in '54, right Swithin?!

(...and so maybe Orson felt, why not him?)

;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Who was more perverse Willy Faulkner or Tennessee Williams? As a writer that is, not a person. I go with Faulkner.
Williams' characters have some kinks, but they seem more over the top than out there. That's why I find some
of the movies made from the plays so exaggerated that it's hard to take them seriously. Stereotypes yelling
at each other. Whereas Willy's characters seem more down to earth, right down in the muck and mire of various
perversions, mostly sexual. Of course they both had to be cleaned up for the big screen.

If Burl Ives wasn't paying attention, I wouldn't be surprised if Orson would try to take a bite out of Burl's arm.

I remember when Karl Malden had a short-lived TV show about a blue-collar worker called Skag.
Every time I think of that name I crack up.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree, I am not as knowledgeable on Faulkner as I feel I should be but what little I know, I do think you are right in the perverse department. Didn't Miriam Hopkins make THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? That one is pretty kinky.

Williams' characters seem to have a fetish for body lotion.

Skag! Was that before or after The Streets of San Francisco?
laffite

Post by laffite »

Andree wrote: August 15th, 2023, 11:09 pm Who was more perverse Willy Faulkner or Tennessee Williams? As a writer that is, not a person. I go with Faulkner.
Williams' characters have some kinks, but they seem more over the top than out there. That's why I find some
of the movies made from the plays so exaggerated that it's hard to take them seriously. Stereotypes yelling
at each other. Whereas Willy's characters seem more down to earth, right down in the muck and mire of various
perversions, mostly sexual. Of course they both had to be cleaned up for the big screen.

If Burl Ives wasn't paying attention, I wouldn't be surprised if Orson would try to take a bite out of Burl's arm.

I remember when Karl Malden had a short-lived TV show about a blue-collar worker called Skag.
Willy? Wow, that familiarity is truly impressive. You sound like you have actually broken bread wi'im. I once referred to Olivier as Larry and someone actually flamed me for it. So you know Larry do you? You must be bullish on good ole Willy. Just being weird here, haha.

Willy is difficult. Down to earth is right on. TCM aired Intruder in the Dust, a book I have on my bookshelf. The movie was good and then I tried to read the book. Argh. It was more than just already knowing the story. Something about Willy's style that runs me into the ground. I more fond of the mandarin style. Other southern 20c writers bewilder me as well but Willie takes the cake. It's a slow, plodding experience. But I am not so hopeless as all that, I am sure there is readable Faulkner out there for me, I just can't find it. I think it's a matter of temperament, I am into someone like Trollope but it can be hard to find "the best of ..." he wrote so much.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: August 15th, 2023, 7:06 pm
Swithin wrote: August 15th, 2023, 6:52 pm I read a review of a film Welles was in, late in his career. The critic said that Welles seemed to be making a career of playing fat old men sitting down.
Well, somebody had to take over for Greenstreet after he bit the dust in '54, right Swithin?!

(...and so maybe Orson felt, why not him?)

;)

LOL!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: August 15th, 2023, 11:09 pm Who was more perverse Willy Faulkner or Tennessee Williams? As a writer that is, not a person. I go with Faulkner.

HA!!! A snack between takes.......
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:42 am

Willy? Wow, that familiarity is truly impressive. You sound like you have actually broken bread wi'im. I once referred to Olivier as Larry and someone actually flamed me for it. So you know Larry do you? You must be bullish on good ole Willy. Just being weird here, haha.

Willy is difficult. Down to earth is right on. TCM aired Intruder in the Dust, a book I have on my bookshelf. The movie was good and then I tried to read the book. Argh. It was more than just already knowing the story. Something about Willy's style that runs me into the ground. I more fond of the mandarin style. Other southern 20c writers bewilder me as well but Willie takes the cake. It's a slow, plodding experience. But I am not so hopeless as all that, I am sure there is readable Faulkner out there for me, I just can't find it. I think it's a matter of temperament, I am into someone like Trollope but it can be hard to find "the best of ..." he wrote so much.
I've only made it through one Faulkner book (back in HS) As I Lay Dying. And I was told that was one of the easier ones! I agree tough slogs.

Now that I think of it, I read Sound and The Fury too (much later). I had seen the movie version first and the book was very different than the movie version. Almost unrecognizable.
Last edited by Hibi on August 17th, 2023, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:15 am Andree, I am not as knowledgeable on Faulkner as I feel I should be but what little I know, I do think you are right in the perverse department. Didn't Miriam Hopkins make THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? That one is pretty kinky.

THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE is one wild pre-code with Hopkins and Jack La Rue.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 16th, 2023, 8:15 am Andree, I am not as knowledgeable on Faulkner as I feel I should be but what little I know, I do think you are right in the perverse department. Didn't Miriam Hopkins make THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? That one is pretty kinky.

Yes, that was one of the more notorious pre-codes and they still had to censor it from its source, Sanctuary, including the
corn cob episode. The whole book is pretty disgusting.

This was after TSOSF. I don't think it even ran one full season. I'd say I crack up every time I hear the word skag, but it's not exactly
a word one hears every day.
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: August 16th, 2023, 9:42 am

Yeah, using Willy is just a rather silly joke, though he was likely someone you'd drink corn licker with than break bread with.
I've read most of Faulkner's novels, except for some of the early ones. They vary in difficulty as far as sentence structure and
syntax goes. Some are fairly straightforward, others contain a lot of those pages long sentences with minimum punctuation.
The Sound and the Fury is one of his most famous novels. It's of medium length and there aren't that many of those
pages long sentences, so it's relatively easy to read and digest.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I've read a fair amount of Faulkner and a huge amount of Williams. As part of my work in theater, I've worked closely with many of the actors who created roles and appeared in revivals of Tennessee Williams' work. I also worked with his agent. I love his work, including the lesser-known plays such as A Lovely Sunday for Creve Coeur and Clothes for a Summer Hotel, which is about Zelda Fitzgerald.

But in terms of Southern literature, the novel that towers above all others for me is Robert Penn Warren's All the Kings Men. I know the movie, which is great, but the novel stands apart. I was incredibly moved by it.