What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
Allhallowsday

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: April 8th, 2023, 6:54 am ...So funny!
I am a "rock" trivia gal (don't know why THOSE obscure facts stay in my head) and someone sang one single line of Mellow Yellow...then pondered where did that song come from?

I answered Donovan immediately. Donovan Leach. Then described how he looked. "Curly hair, longish face, kind of like Leo Sayer or Gilbert O'Sullivan" and was met with several blank faces. Of course then they all feverishly thumbed their phones to confirm....
There is more than a passing resemblance, I like both those artists, but DONOVAN is in a league of his own. Apparently, also frequently compared with DYLAN as a songwriter and performer, and not favorably by the Brit press. They must've invented mean copy.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Sepiatone wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:51 pm Not exactly good comparisons. Donovan had a distinctive look.
Sepiatone
Both artists made their impact after DONOVAN most importantly. LEO SAYER in particular. The times kept a changin'.
It's nice to know all 3 are still with us. :smiley_cheers:
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Sepiatone wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:51 pm . . . And WHY do I have such difficulty posting photos on this site? :x

Sepiatone

Sepiatone,

To expand on jimimac71's response, here is a screenshot that I hope you will find helpful:

You can always quote a message that has an image to see the img code, for reference.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Atta Boy EP!
You know what they say:
"Those who can ... do. Those who can't ... teach."
I have a PhD. (Piled Higher and Deeper)
This forum is challenging sometimes.
Especially with my tablet.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BILLIE HOLIDAY Lady in Satin

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

EP Millstone wrote: April 8th, 2023, 3:40 pm
Sepiatone wrote: April 8th, 2023, 12:51 pm . . . And WHY do I have such difficulty posting photos on this site? :x

Sepiatone

Sepiatone,

To expand on jimimac71's response, here is a screenshot that I hope you will find helpful:

You can always quote a message that has an image to see the img code, for reference.
Three tries proffered negative results. But I'll keep trying

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

It's not necessary to place the cursor between the brackets. Anywhere on the screen is enough. My experience anyway,
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 8th, 2023, 3:33 pm . . . There is more than a passing resemblance, I like both those artists, but DONOVAN is in a league of his own. Apparently, also frequently compared with DYLAN as a songwriter and performer, and not favorably by the Brit press. They must've invented mean copy.
Listen to Donovan singing "Catch the Wind." To my ears, he was definitely trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Fortunately, he abandoned the mimicry and found his own voice.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: April 9th, 2023, 1:38 pm It's not necessary to place the cursor between the brackets. Anywhere on the screen is enough. My experience anyway,
The uniform resource locator (URL) must be wrapped in the bracketed img and /img codes. You can either:
  • First click the Insert image tool to add the bracketed img and /img codes in your message and then paste the URL inside the codes.
OR
  • First paste the URL in your message, select the entire URL, and then click the Insert image tool to wrap the bracketed img and /img codes around the URL.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Being the Duke of URL, I'm compelled to agree with EP.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: April 9th, 2023, 2:44 pm To my ears, he was definitely trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Fortunately, he abandoned the mimicry and found his own voice.
Well THAT'S funny....Dylan was mimicking Woody Guthrie.
I've always viewed Dylan as a poser.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

EP Millstone wrote: April 9th, 2023, 2:44 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: April 8th, 2023, 3:33 pm . . . There is more than a passing resemblance, I like both those artists, but DONOVAN is in a league of his own. Apparently, also frequently compared with DYLAN as a songwriter and performer, and not favorably by the Brit press. They must've invented mean copy.
Listen to Donovan singing "Catch the Wind." To my ears, he was definitely trying to sound like Bob Dylan. Fortunately, he abandoned the mimicry and found his own voice...
No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 7:57 am No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
HA! Nothing compared to the middle school level nastiness encountered on the internet.

I never listened to Donovan back in the day. It's about time I revisit his body of work rather than only knowing his radio songs.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: April 10th, 2023, 8:41 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 10th, 2023, 7:57 am No doubt. And when the press wants to be mean, the Brits have made it an art form.
HA! Nothing compared to the middle school level nastiness encountered on the internet.

I never listened to Donovan back in the day. It's about time I revisit his body of work rather than only knowing his radio songs.
That's all anybody knows... speaking with hyperbole.