cinemalover: Confessions of a Video Junkie

Chit-chat, current events
cinemalover

Ambush Trail Review #144

Post by cinemalover »

Back to my pile of "B" westerns recorded off of the Western Channel. This one features Bob Steele, who may be more famous for being one of the Three Mesquiteers in that popular series than for his solo efforts.

Date watched:5/19/2007
Title: Ambush Trail Made: 1946
Genre:Western Studio:PRC Pictures
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel
# of times viewed: First

Stars:
Bob Steele--Curley Thompson
Syd Saylor--Sam Hawkins
L. Stanford Jolley--Hatch Bolton
Lorraine Miller--Alice Rhodes
Charles King--Al Craig
Bob Cason--Ed Blaine
Budd Buster--Jim Haley
Kermit Maynard--Walter Gordon
Frank Ellis--Frank Owen
Edward Cassidy--Marshal Dawes

Tagline: WAYLAID...by high adventure on the range!

Plot: Curlry Thompson (Steele) buys a ranch just outside of the town of Douglas only to discover that freight company owner Hatch Bolton (Jolley) is up to no good. Bolton is Hatching a plot to drive all the ranchers away so that he can possess their land. Once Curley starts interfering with his plans, Bolton frames him for a murder.

The town bartender tries to warn Curley about Bolton, "You tangle with Bolton you'll find peace all right. But it won't be on your ranch, they'll make it on your tombstone!"

A couple things work against Bob Steele as the hero of the piece. First, he sports a pencil mustache normally reserved for villains. Second, it's tough to come across as the invincible hero when everybody else in the picture is taller than you. Evidently this low-budget production couldn't even afford lifts for his cowboy boots.

4* (out of 10) Harmless and undemanding horse opera.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Prairie Chickens Review #145

Post by cinemalover »

Jimmy and Pidge are on the road again! Lock up your womenfolk!

Date watched:5/19/2007
Title: Prairie Chickens Made: 1943
Genre:Comedy Studio:Hal Roach Studios
Format: DVD-R Source: TCM

Directer: Hal Roach
Stars:
Noah Beery Jr.--Pidge
Jimmy Rogers--Jimmy
Joe Sawyer--Albertson, Lazy K Foreman
Marjorie Woodworth--Lucy
Jack Norton--Henry Lewis-Clark III
Raymond Hatton--Jeff Gipson
Dudley Dickerson--Farnsworth, chauffeur

This was the third and final "Streamliner" that featured Beery and Rogers in these same roles. The first two were Dudes Are Pretty People 1942 and Calaboose 1943.

Tagline: Romance sweeps across the screen like a prairie fire!

Pidge (Beery) and Jimmy (Rogers) are broke and wandering as usual. When their car crashes (because each boy thought the other had fixed the brakes) they meet a bus load of beautiful college girls. The bus driver asks the always helpful Jimmy for directions.
Jimmy, "You go down this road here about two whooops and a holler, then you come to a fork in the road and the sign points to the right, that's where you turn left..."
Driver, "Then?"
Jimmy, "....then there's another fork, there ain't no sign there so you turn left anyhow, then just follow your nose right into Catch Lake. You can't miss it."

To add another layer of confusion Pidge gets mistaken for visiting millionaire Henry Lewis-Clark III. Mr. Lewis-Clark III is scheduled to visit the town because he owns a huge ranch there that he has never seen. Unfortunately for him his ranch foreman, Albertson (Sawyer) has been taking advantage of his "dudeness" by selling off the cattle for his own profit. The town has planned to roll out the red carpet for the millionaire in hopes that he might invest in the monetarily-challenged town. When the real Clark-Lewis shows up he is a stumbling drunk (picture an early version of Arthur complete with a black chauffeur).

The college girls, Pidge and Jimmy as well as Lewis-Clark all end up spending the night at the ranch house where Albertson has a few spooky surprises planned. Director Roach has fun with the situation as only he could with plenty of reusable gags. Good well-intentioned fun. Raymond Hatton as one of Albertson's henchman in an old dark ranch house will wake the boys up.

It is revealed that Pidge's greatest weakness is a good-looking girl, especially dude girls!

6* (out of 10) Beery and Rogers play well off each other and their lack of smarts or common sense adds to the laughter.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Wild Wild West Review #146

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 5/21/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
# of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 11 Original Air Date: 11/25/66
The Night of the Ready-Made Corpse

Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Carroll O'Connor--Fabian Lavender
Karen Sharpe--Rose Murphy
Daniel Ades--Colonel Pellargo
Jack Perkins--Golo
Gene Tyburn--Finley
Alan Bergmann--Claudio Antille
Patricia Huston--Leda Pellargo

Plot: Jim and Arte are assigned to guard a visiting Latin Dictator, Colonel Pellargo (Ades). When the dictator is killed by an assassin disguised as a photographer Jim and Arte are left to investigate. Their inquiries turn up more questions than answers as the assassin, Claudio Antille (Bergmann), turns up dead in Fabian Lavender's (O'Connor) Funeral Parlor. Or is he?

Lavender runs a funeral parlor, but he makes his money running an undercover business that specializes in faking the deaths of high profile criminals and then setting them up with a new face and a new life.

We see Claudio run to Lavender's Funeral Parlor after being wounded in his flight from Jim after the assassination.
Claudio, "My arm is hurting!"
Lavender, "Yes, well I can see you've got a wound there and I'll take care of it for you...ah...the blood, don't rub it on the carpet, it gives the mourners a very bad impression."

Claudio sits on the embalming table.
Lavender, "It's not a very comfortable table...but…ahhh... very few of my clients complain about it."

Arte disguises himself as a potential client for one of Mr. Lavender's "special funerals" but can't remember who recommended Mr. Lavender's services, too bad for Arte.

O'Connor is wonderfully dry with a soft gallows humor throughout. Just one more outstanding actor providing a very unique villain for the show. The colors are played to the hilt once again, when they use gas to try to kill people it's not boring old white, it's vibrant pink. Mr. Lavender is always complimented by the color of his name. And, in addition to the standard dark blue and hunter green suits that Jim likes to wear, in this one he gets a baby blue suit with a paisley turquoise vest. Those color TVs were really getting their money's worth from this show.

9* (out of 10) For the series.
9* (out of 10) For this episode. Another powerful actor creating an original villain. O'Connor is no Archie Bunker in this one.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Rifleman Review #147

Post by cinemalover »

So many choices, so little time. It's been a month since I had the chance to watch any more episodes of this incredible series that never lets me down. So, let's find out what Lucas is up to....

Date watched: 5/22/2007
Title: The Rifleman TV Show Made: 1958-1963
Genre: Western
Format: DVD-R Source: Western Channel
# of times viewed: This is the first time since childhood
I watched episodes #91-96 (I record them 6 to a disc, so I generally watch the whole disc once I start)
Stars: Chuck Connors (Lucas McCain), Johnny Crawford (Mark), Paul Fix (the Marshall), Millie Scott (Joan Taylor) and a ton of familiar guest stars

#91 Six Years And A Day
A former doctor hires a gunman to help him get revenge against Doc Burrage, whom he figures is responsible for his lost practice. The vengeance trail leads to the McCain home where a neighbor is preparing to give birth. While waiting for Doc Burrage the doctor is forced to delivery the baby which leads him to reassess his life.
Guest stars: John Larch, James Gavin, Ron Hayes, Regina Gleason and Ralph R. Moody.

#92 Flowers By The Door
Jason Gowdy (Richard Anderson), a traveling book and seed salesman, approaches a woman whose husband is away rounding up cattle. He puts his hand on her shoulder and pulls her to him. "Nothing prettier than flowers at the door I always say, except perhaps the flower that blooms inside."

There is a very implicitly suggested rape. Gowdy is a character that has a taste for married women, especially against their will. This is a very adult subject handled with delicacy. Outstanding television drama.
Guest star: Jean Allsion.

#93 Long Trek
Micah and Lucas are transporting Stanley (Lonny Chapman), a heartless killer, to trial at Santa Fe. When they stop to bed down for the night while crossing the desert, Stanley spooks the horses, which strands them 100 miles from Santa Fe without any water. Stanley has nothing to lose because he's going to hang. How will Micah and Lucas survive?

#94 The Actress
Lucas' neighbor Jacob has had an accident and is dying. His deathbed wish is for Lucas to bring his wife to him so he can say goodbye to her. No one knew that Jacob had married on a recent trip to the big city. When Lucas tracks down his wife she turns out to be a saloon girl who fancies herself an actress and loves a little nip now and again. The wedding was more of a "role" for her to play as she hardly knew Jacob. Will Lucas be able to fulfill his friend's last wish?
Guest stars: Morris Ankrum, Diana Millay.

#95 Face of Yesterday
Hank Clay (John Anderson) is a cantankerous old drunk. He has no ambition except to stir up trouble. Simon (Ben Cooper) is his step-son who is an outstanding gunfighter which allows Hank to romp around Northfork running up bad credit and mouthing off. He dares people to give him grief so that he can get Simon involved in a gunfight to kill the offending party. When Hank shakes up Mark Lucas has had enough. Then there is a very original plot twist that even further complicates the story. They turn what would have been just another retread plot in any other series into a very deep, emotional experience.
Guest star: K.T. Stevens

#96 The Wyoming Story Pt. 1
Hoof and mouth disease is hitting all the local herds including the McCain herd. The Doc is stretched thin trying to help as many ranchers as he can. While this is going on Lucas is asked to go undercover as a federal agent to Wyoming to uncover who is selling guns to renegade Indians. The town drunk accidentally uncovers Lucas' mission and puts Lucas in danger. To be continued....
Guest stars: Dabbs Greer, Russell Thorson, Kent Taylor.

8* (out of 10) for the series.
9* (out of 10) for Episode #92 Flowers By The Door and episode #95 The Face of Yesterday. These two episodes are prime examples of why this was one of the most consistently high-quality shows ever, able to deal with adult topics without the context of a family show.

But, even more important in our household, the Rockets had their season opener in soccer last night. They destroyed the Bombers 9-0 with our own Jeremy pounding the back of the net 4 times! Nice job, young man. I guess I'll keep you around for a while longer! A beautiful 70 degree sun-filled evening, it doesn't get any better than this.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Where Danger Lives Review #148

Post by cinemalover »

This is a nice little find for me. I had never seen this before and it turns out to be a nice little noir.....

Date watched:5/20/2007
Title: Where Danger Lives Made: 1950
Genre: Drama/Noir Studio:RKO

Stars:
Robert Mitchum--Dr. Jeff Cameron
Faith Domergue--Margo Lannington
Claude Rains--Frederick Lannington
Maureen O'Sullivan--Julie Dawn
Charles kemper--Police Chief
Ralph Dumke--Klauber
Harry Shannon--Dr. Maynard
Philip Van Zandt--Milo DeLong

Taglines: Mitchum in action!

She's tempting in a penthouse and dangerous in a bordertown dive!

*****************This one may contain spoilers******************

Dr. Jeff Cameron (Mitchum) is on duty at his hospital when Margo Lannington (Domergue) is brought in after a suicide attempt. There is an instant attraction and sexual tension between Margo and Jeff. Jeff has a girlfriend in Nurse Julie Dawn (O'Sullivan), but her steady, consistent personality gets lost in the heat thrown off by Margo. Jeff and Margo become involved but Margo is still holding something back.

Jeff finally meets the problem. The older man that Margo had been refering to as her dad turns out to be her husband. Frederick Lannington introduces himself to Jeff, "Margo married me for my money. I married Margo for her...youth."

Things get even worse when Jeff and Frederick get in a physical struggle during which Jeff takes a savage blow to the head. In a groggy state Jeff allows himself to be persuaded to run away with Margo, leaving bad news in their rear view mirror. Margo continues to manipulate Jeff like a marionette with her half truths and veiled purposes. Like any good noir, when the central figures have the option of turning right to try to straighten out a mess or turning left to fall ever deeper into the quagmire of desperation, they ineveitably turn left. The couple travels through the backwaters of America as they inch closer and closer to the Mexican border. The movie is a sad commentary of human nature as everyone they meet takes advantage of their desperate plight for personal gain.

As they run the net draws tighter around them and the veil of stability that Margo has been hiding behind begins to slip. Jeff is very sympathetic if rather stupid. He's like a moth to Margo's fire, knowing that he will be burned.

Even in his weakened state Jeff starts to see the truth.
Jeff, "So that's what Lannington was trying to tell me!"
Margo, "Of course he was trying to tell you. You think he didn't tell all of the others."
Jeff, "Yeah, there were always others."
Margo, "You think you're the only man who found me attractive?"

Domergue is quite believable as a woman on the edge. She can slip from seductive to psycho as easily as changing her shoes. Mitchum is just the solid professional who turns the switch on every time he's on a set. The physical ailments that afflict Mitchum's Jeff parallel his growing understanding of the bottomless pit he has fallen into.

8* (out of 10) A noirish feel throughout, two characters circling the drain before going down for the count.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Sleepers West Review #149

Post by cinemalover »

The Michael Shayne Mysteries Volume 1
Movies included:
Michael Shayne, Private Detective
The Man Who Wouldn't Die
Sleepers West
Blue, White and Perfect

The movies come on two flipper discs, with one movie on each side. The set includes 3 featurettes, a restoration comparison and an interactive trivia guide.

Date watched: 5/21/2007
Title: Sleepers West Made: 1941
Genre: Detective Studio:20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: see above

Stars:
Lloyd Nolan--Michael Shayne
Lynn Bari--Kay Bentley
Mary Beth Hughes--Helen Carlson
Louis Jean Heydt--Everett Jason
Edward Brophy--George Trautwein
Don Costello--Carl Izzard
Ben Carter--Leander
Donald Douglass--Tom Linscott
Oscar O'Shea--McGowan
Harry Hayden--Lyons

The title, Sleepers West, refers to sleeping cars on a train that is westbound to San Francisco. Michael Shayne (Nolan) is helping to transport a witness, Helen Carlson (Hughes), to San Francisco undercover so that she can testify in the Callahan case. Nolan wants to insure that she gets there safely because her tesimony can set free the innocent Callahan. Not everyone on the train is so eager for her to testify. Carl Izzard (Costello) at first attempts to bribe Shayne into giving up the girl, and when that doesn't work he resorts to gunplay.

Also on board is Kay Bentley (Bari), a former flame of Shayne's and a very nosy reporter. She smells a story and uses all of her feminine charms to convince Mike to get her in on the scoop.

When the train is derailed Mike has to figure out a way to safely get his witness to trail while everyone around him is trying to stop him.

Nolan doesn't get to fire off as many wise-cracks in this entry but he's still tough as granite and captures your attention every second he's on screen. Lynn Bari as his former fiancee is a strong character that gives Mike a run for his money in the thinking on the go department.

7* (out of 10) There's less sarcasm than the other two Shayne entries that I've watched so far, Michael Shayne, Private Detective and The Man who Wouldn't Die, but this is just as entertaining in other ways.

So, three of the four movies in this set are in the books and the verdict is overwhelmingly positive. A big thumbs up for this set.

Last night was a beautiful 72 degree night and a wonderful night for soccer practice. It looks like tionight might be even better. I love it!
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Ringer Review #150

Post by cinemalover »

It was a gorgeous Friday night, not to mention busy. The evening started with Jeremy's soccer practice, followed by the dining pleasure of the kid's choice, Subway. By the time we settled into watching a movie it was 9:30. The kids put their heads together and came up with.....

Date watched:5/25/2007
Title: Ringer Made: 2005
Genre :Low-Brow Comedy Extras: Enhanced for WS, Deleted scenes, Featurettes, Commentary.

Stars:
Johnny Knoxville--Steve Barker/Jeffie
Brian Cox--Gary Barker
Katherine Heigl--Lynn Sheridan
Jed Rees--Glen
Bill Chott--Thomas
Edward Barbanell--Billy
Leonard Earl Howze--Mark
Geoffrey Arend--Winston
John Taylor--Rudy
Luis Avalos--Stavi
Leonard Flowers--Jimmy

Taglines:
Only a jackass would fix the Special Olympics. (The reference is to the TV show Jackass, which apparently made Knoxville a celebrity)

Special has been redefined.

Well, I went into this expecting to be highly offended. Surprisingly, the material was handled with better care than I was assuming. Not a great movie in any way, but underlying the offensive premise it tries to have a good heart.

Plot: Steve Barker (Knoxville) and his uncle Gary (Cox) both have some major financial woes. Gary is in up to his eyeballs with some unfriendly gambler types who will soon be collecting body parts in they don't collect the cash that Gary owes them. Steve, who can be too nice for his own good, has a friend in need of some massive medical attention that Steve feels responsible for. How the heck can they possibly raise big money? Let's fix the Special Olympics and clean up by betting on Steve to win it all!

Steve poses as Jeffie, a participant in the Special Olympics. The key is to defeat Jimmy who has won the Special Olympics 3 years running, and is a huge celebrity. He arrives at the event in a limo and with a large entourage. Jimmy doesn't treat the other participants very well, so when they figure out that Jeffie/Steve is faking it, they are still willing to help him beat Jimmy. Throw in Lynn Sheridan (Heigl) as a Special Olympics coach that catches Steve's eye and you've got an interesting mix.

Early in the competition Steve/Jeffie is not winning as he expected and he tries to explain to his uncle, "These guys are great. A couple of them could be in the regular Olympics!"
Uncle Gary, "Maybe the French team!"

5* (out of 10) Not as bad as I thought, but don't go running out to get yourself a copy. The intended audience would be on the young side.

Jeremy-Meter 7* (out of 10) Jeremy stayed awake for the entire movie and was able to grade it. His favorite part was when Steve/Jeffie was learning to jump the hurdles and constantly landed astride the hurdle, causing him a little discomfort. So, it's not Shakespeare.

Tina-Meter: incomplete. Tina fell asleep an hour into the movie and wasn't able to complete her grade.

I hope all of you have a fantastic holiday weekend. I will be coming and going all weekend and probably won't be near a computer from Sunday morning until Monday evening. Have fun!
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

The Quick and the Dead Review #151

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched:5/23/2007
Title: The Quick and the Dead Made: 1987
Genre :Western Extras: Enhanced for WS, Production notes, TV spot.
# of times viewed: 2

Stars:
Sam Elliott--Con Vallian
Tom Conti--Duncan McKaskel
Kate Capshaw--Susanna McKasel
Kenny Morrison--Tom McKaskel
Matt Clark--Doc Shabitt
Patrick Kilpatrick--The Ute
Jerry Potter--Red Hayle
Billy Streater--Ike Mantle
Del Shores--Purdy Mantle
R.L. Tolbert--Johnny Dobbs
Jeffrey Meyer--Butcher McCloud
Kurt D. Lott--Lenny Shabitt

Based on the book by Louis L'Amour.

Plot: The McKaskel family, Duncan (Conti), Susanna (Capshaw) and son Tom (Morrison), is journeying cross-country in their wagon. Health concerns had separated them from their wagon train. They happen upon a gang of low-lifes who take notice of their horses and the beautiful Susanna. The McKaskels wake up one morning to find their horses have been stolen.

Con Vallian (Elliott) rides into their camp, he saw the gang steal the horses. He doesn't want to get involved with these Easterners, but he is openly attracted to Susanna. When Duncan goes to confront the gang and get his horses back, he sets into motion a series of events that will terrorize and endanger his family.

Discussing what will happen to the family if the gang catches up to them:
Susanna, "Duncan, maybe the worst they'll do is take everything we own."
Duncan, "The worst they'll do is kill you!"
Con, "No sir, it ain't the WORST."

Another observation by Con, "Let me tell you something, McKaskel. You've been acting like the meek are going to inherit the earth. The meek ain't gonna inherit nothin' west of Chicago!"

The gang is trailing the family, just waiting for an opportunity to pounce. There is unhidden passion between Susanna and Con that does not go unnoticed by her husband. But the fate of the McKaskel family is tied to Con, without him they'd be dead.

This may not be the most original western ever produced, but it is a classic tale of easterners trying to adapt to the lawless west with the help of a rugged tutor. Duncan is a schoolteacher by trade, but once he crossed the Mississippi he became the student.

Elliott has the sand necessary to stand tall as the western loner hero.

7* (out of 10) Simple and beautiful. Outstanding scenery. A classic western story told with confidence.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 25th, 2008, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Chris:

"The Quick and The Dead" is one film I've enjoyed through the years. I mainly like it for Same Elliot's performance. Tom Conti is pretty good too. I especially like the scene where Tom has been told once too often by Sam that he's married to a fine looking woman.

A bigger budget would have been nice but a pleasant way to spend 90 minutes. If you haven't seen it look for "Conagher" with Sam and Katherine Ross.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Chris,
It is an entertaining little movie. The fact that it was shot almost entirely outdoors makes it look much bigger than its reletively small budget. I believe it was produced for HBO originally. Sam Elliott makes a believable western hero. His scruffy look and laid-back dialogue add to his underlying toughness. I know I've seen Conagher at some point, but I don't remember it very well. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

The presentation on the DVD is in widescreen, whereas I believe it would have been originally broadcast in 4:3 ratio. I wonder how it was originally filmed.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

[quote="cinemalover"

The presentation on the DVD is in widescreen, whereas I believe it would have been originally broadcast in 4:3 ratio. I wonder how it was originally filmed.[/quote]

Aspect ratios are not my forte but for what it's worth it was shot for HBO in 1987. It's possible, although I'm unsure, it might have been released for theaters in Europe and other foreign markets and made use of a widescreen format. It also might have been cropped in some fashion to make it look widescreen.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Chris,
That's probably accurate. I hadn't thought about overseas distribution, but that makes perfect sense. Perhaps it was shot open-matted, giving them a variety of ways to show it in an acceptable ratio.
Chris

cinemalover

Blue, White and Perfect Review #152

Post by cinemalover »

The Michael Shayne Mysteries Volume 1
Movies included:
Michael Shayne, Private Detective
The Man Who Wouldn't Die
Sleepers West
Blue, White and Perfect

The movies come on two flipper discs, with one movie on each side. The set includes 3 featurettes, a restoration comparison and an interactive trivia guide.

Date watched: 5/25/2007
Title: Blue, White and Perfect Made: 1942
Genre: Detective Studio:20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: see above

Stars:
Lloyd Nolan--Michael Shayne
Mary Beth Hughes--Merle Garland
Helene Reynolds--Helen Shaw
George Reeves (Superman)--Juan Arturo O'Hara
Steven Geray--Vanderhoffen
Henri Victor--Rudolf Hagerman
Curt Bois--Nappy Dubois
Arthur Loft--Capt. Joseph McCordy
Marie Blake--Ethel
Edward Earle--First Officer Richards

Tagline: Mike Shayne signs up with Uncle Sam...and his past adventures look like a picnic!

Plot: Mike Shayne (Nolan) goes to work as a riveter for the Thomas Aircraft Company to try to root out Nazi spies who want to steal industrial diamonds to supply German war factories. Things don't go Mike's way and he is fired. This causes him to con $1,000 out of his girlfriend so that he can be a passenger on the cruise ship that the spies are traveling on. Also on board is the debonair Juan Arturo O'Hara (Reeves), and Mike can't figure which side he's playing for.

In the process of exposing each other, Shayne and O'Hara end up trapped in a ship compartment by the smugglers. As the compartment is filling with water to dispose of these two loose ends Shayne always has a smart remark, "Hey, it's no use. How good are you at drowning?"
O'Hara, "I did fine last time."
Shayne, climbing up on a stack of crates, "C'mon. Let's pick a comfortable spot to do it!"

There are multiple twists and turns to keep you guessing as to who is connected with the Nazi smugglers and who is just in the way. Reeves is wonderfully charismatic as the upscale passenger whose loyalty is ill-defined. Nolan is a firecracker as usual.

8* (out of 10) This is the 4th of 4 Michael Shayne movies in this set. Each has been a complete winner and familiarity with the character allows them to add layers of depth with each entry.

This has been an outstanding set of detective features. I would highly recommend it, and look forward to them hopefully releasing a second volume of Michael Shayne.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Garfield, A Tale of Two Kitties Review #153

Post by cinemalover »

I had a chance this weekend to watch a movie with Tina (while Jeremy was practicing his soccer skills). She felt like something light to make her laugh, so she chose...

Date watched:5/27/2007
Title: Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties Made: 2006
Genre: Comedy/Animation Studio:20th Century Fox
Format: DVD Extras: Anamorphic WS and Fullscreen, the Widescreen version is an extended version (96m vs. 88m theatrical release), Music Video, Odie's photo album game, Garfield's maze game, Featurette.

Stars:
Breckin Meyer--Jon Arbuckle
Jennifer Love Hewitt--Liz Wilson
Bill Murray--Voice of Garfield
Billy Connolly--Lord Dargis
Ian Abercrombie--Smithee
Roger Rees--Mr. Hobbs
Lucy Davis--Abby
Lena Cardwell--Tourist

Taglines:
The EGO has landed!

Too much of a good thing is even better!

Plot: Liz Wilson (Hewitt) is bound for London to attend a veterinarian conference. Jon Arbuckle (Meyer) has been trying to get up the courage to ask Liz to marry him and decides to follow her to London to ask her there. Garfield (Voice of Murray) stows away in his luggage and ends up in London with Jon.

In London there is a royal will that leaves a massive estate to a cat, Prince XII, instead of the only living heir, Lord Dargis (Connolly). Lord Dargis spends the rest of the movie trying to rid himself of Prince so that he'll inherit the estate and turn it into a luxury resort. One minor complication, Garfield and Prince are identical to the eye and switch places. A variation on The Prince and the Pauper with CGI cats.

Murray is a hoot as the smart-alec, self-obsessed Garfield. The movie does a nice job of blending CGI cats with real animals of all kinds that have their mouths animated to talk and interact with Garfield.

6* (out of 10) Innocent merriment for the undemanding. This was actually better than I was anticipating. I had previously seen the first Garfield movie and was less than impressed.

The Tina Teen-Meter 7* (out of 10) Fat Garfield trying to squeeze into a model house set her funny bone ajar. Lots of laughs and you get to listen to Garfield extol the virtues of lasagna.

Most important soccer update: The Red-hot Rockets blasted past the wingless Bluejays for an impressive 11-0 victory. Young Jeremy scorched the net for two tallies while spending most of the second half in the net as a goalie.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Trapped by Boston Blackie Review #154

Post by cinemalover »

Let's take another visit to the world of Boston Blackie, hopefully without any black-face routines this time...

Date watched:5/25/2007
Title: Trapped By Boston Blackie
Made: 1948
Genre: Detective Studio:Columbia

Stars:
Chester Morris--Boston Blackie
June Vincent--Doris Bradley
Richard Lane--Inspector Farraday
Patricia White--Joan Howell
Edward Norris--Igor Borio
George E. Stone--The Runt
Frank Sully--Det. Sergeant Matthews
Fay Baker--Margie O'Reilly
Mary Currier--Mrs. Kenyon

Taglines:
Killing low-down on High Society!
THREE WOMEN WANT BLACKIE....arrested!
It's "hot stuff" he's after...to catch a blue-blooded killer red-handed!

Plot: Blackie's friend and private investigator Joe Kenyon is killed in a suspicious car crash. Blackie makes an offer to Mrs. Kenyon (Currier) to take over Joe's assignment as an undercover guard at a high society party. When a very valuable pearl necklace disappears the police are called and Inspector Farraday is sent to head up the investigation with his bumbling aid, Det. Sergeant Matthews (Sully). Once Farraday enters the scene he will always jump to the same conclusion, Blackie did it! Blackie and the Runt (Stone) do their usual dance with the Inspector as they try to solve the crime and avoid arrest.

Typical exchanges between Farraday and Mathews:
Matthews, "I got it chief. I got an angle. Them three women were working in cahoots!"
Farraday, "Matthews, you're angles are so old, every time you open your mouth moths fly out!"

And to remind us that Blackie and the Runt used to be on the wrong side of the law one of their former associates comments, "Hey, you know, when I was in stir I heard they was going straight. Isn't it terrible the vicious gossip you hear about people."

Morris is engaging as always. He should have been a bigger star. The combination of Farraday as an intelligent (if single-minded) member of the force combined with the comic simplicity of his assistant Matthews makes for a more interesting dynamic than the normal incompetent officers.

Thankfully, in this entry they avoid the blackface routines and settle for disguising themselves as rajas.

7* (out of 10) Brisk and entertaining, a better than average entry.
Last edited by cinemalover on April 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris