Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Moraldo Rubini

Re: Members to be TCM Guest Programmers

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Is Lani among us? While watching her last night, I hoped that the SSO denizens invited all the others to join us here.

Work was insane today. Being on the West Coast, the Fabulous Five start out at a very early 5pm. I had big plans to break away to our lunch room (which gets TCM!) to see Miss Goddess' opening Gone with the Wind remarks, but at 5:10 realized the time had gotten away from me. I cried, "I have to run to see Miss Goddess, I'll be right back!" leaving confused, busy bees behind me. Alas, by the time I got to the television as the Tarleton Twins were teasing Scarlett. :cry:

Last night was a wonderful kick-off. What an enjoyable week this is going to be on TCM!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Giggles ooops, I mean Miss Goddess:

You are a delight just as you are here in your writing of posts, you were charming. I wanted to get the word in before the ending remarks because I wanted to get heard before the rest of the group tie up the site.

You are a joy! :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I'm curious when the Fabulous 15 last saw their chosen movie previous to the shoot with Robert Osborne? While the audience watches, we get the sense that those who give the intro and outro are watching along with us. After the emotional close of Gone with the Wind, I half expected to return to find Miss Goddess crying on Osborne's shoulder; or at least clutching a damp handkerchief. But of course, y'all weren't watching your films at the time. Yet here's Robert Osborne asking details of the film. Did you know what he'd ask ahead of time, so you'd have the answer prepared? I thought of all this while Miss Goddess talks about one of her favorite scenes in Gone with the Wind. I think I might've gone blank with the question. Did y'all watch your movies again the day before your shoot, to remind yourselves of favorite details to mention on camera?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Did you know what he'd ask ahead of time, so you'd have the answer prepared? I thought of all this while Miss Goddess talks about one of her favorite scenes in Gone with the Wind. I think I might've gone blank with the question. Did y'all watch your movies again the day before your shoot, to remind yourselves of favorite details to mention on camera?
Hello Moraldo!

Each of us had a segment producer. Mine was a young gal named Brittany. I think she must have been the LA producer because she also handled Kyle and Peter. We each did a telephone interview with her about a month before the trip. She asked us what we liked about the film, favorite scene and stuff like that. I remember talking about Monument Valley with her as well as Ford as a director and Wayne as an actor. Robert O asked me very similar questions along with a couple of others. I had hoped to talk about the back story of the movie but ran out of time.

I watched Yellow Ribbon about a week before we left for Atlanta. Brittany sent each of us a DVD of the film we would be introducing.

Is it Thursday yet?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I've been chronicling my adventures and this week on TCM on my blog.

Today's entry includes a small tribute to our very own Mongo who I am sharing the playbill with later tonight:

http://classiclasvegas.squarespace.com/ ... osition=57

Is it Thursday yet?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Well I can tell you these "special guest programmers" evenings are a total success for us viewers!

It is much more enjoyable to listen in to a friendly conversation between two film fans (one being pro ROsborne) discussing what they enjoy about a film, it's impact or meaning to your personal life and back story than the typical 2 minute introductions we're used to.
Sure, back stage stories and historical tidbits are fun, but often as film fans we already know so many these "factoids". In fact, my newest game is predicting what will be said in the intro a few minutes before it airs. (I'm often wrong, but love when I predict correctly-usually with Ben for some reason)

These guest programmers intro/outros could become boringly self-indulgent, but with a pro at the helm like RO, they never seem to cross that line. In fact, RO will rarely say anything more personal than he enjoys a film. I absolutely loved when he discussed why he didn't want to bother reading GWTW the book, but then did so & was pleasently surprised.

The whole atmosphere of these "real life film fans" has been more relaxed and fun for us (the viewers), than ANY of the Essentials hosts, although Alec has been pretty personable. It may be a nightmare to stage & edit, but I would very much like to see TCM blend more of this type of atmosphere into the film intros.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I vote with Tiki on "total success for us viewers" as well.

This isn't quite like sharing these films on the big-screen in a theatre full of friends - not quite. But the intro and outro's do give us a film-festival feeling to them, a nice discussion which, unfortunately, could probably go on for an hour or more on each side and I'd still be left wanting more.

Tike - "total success", yes.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Our dearest MissG,

Thank you for bringing smiles to the Left Coast of the Lake.

The DUPREES “My Own True Love”
[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi April,

"The Divine Miss Goddess" must now be added to Garbo and Midler in our Pantheon....

Saw you last night and you were great - so comfortable and so natural.
Your dress was quite stylish and your demenour very appropriate and I loved it that you had Lana's earrings (she'd approve!)....

Larry
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Divine Miss Lane:

How wonderful you were. It's hard to believe you were anxious about anything based on what I saw. You were natural, comfortable, engaging and had interesting things to say. I couldn't be more proud of the way you handled the conersation. Osborne has been great in making all of you feel at home and drawing conversation out of you.

It has been a wonderful week so far. With Mongo and Lynn to night and Kyle tomorrow there is still more good stuff to come.

Great job.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks very, very much I'm just relieved my turn is OVER and I can just relax
and enjoy the "show".

The segment I've been MOST excited to see is Lynn's (GUESS WHY? :P ) so tonight I'm really
going to be glued to the set, not constantly leaving the room like I did last night, HA!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Miss Goddess said
preferrably something
blonde, bubbly and expensive. :P
Ms. G, or as Larry has so appropriately said, the Divine Ms. G....

You were terrific! Just like really fine wine, smooth and heady. Congratulations, and frankly my dear, we all DO give a damn!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Did you know what he'd ask ahead of time, so you'd have the answer prepared? I thought of all this while Miss Goddess talks about one of her favorite scenes in Gone with the Wind. I think I might've gone blank with the question.
Hi Moraldo,

I thought I DID go quite BLANK, Ha haaaa!!! What a catastrophe. ALL of the interesting little
things I could have talked about that I've learned, including several I WROTE DOWN on notes before
the trip, totally FLEW out with the wind and I went into silly fan-girl mode. Grrrrrrr!! No wonder
I had no memory of what I said---I said nothing! :lol:
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

MissGoddess (and was there ever a more apt name?) All I can say is: