Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This would be after his trial from statutory rape, I wonder if it hastened his self destruct, I've read more than one point of view that claimed this as fact. Thanks for sharing Robert Stack's recollections, don't apologise for name dropping here, we love it. Did Robert share anything else with you about Errol Flynn? See in dropping names now, dropping the surname at least :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks Alison and Sue Sue. I'm always timid about saying that I knew or heard it from "this person" or "that person", but if it fits the story, I'm glad you're okay with it and don't think I'm merely being a fatheaded showoff.

I'm sure the rape trial didn't help, Alison, but basically Errol had to live life on his own terms. He crammed more into 50 years than most people would if they could live two or three lifetimes. But Errol always felt he was destined for a short life. Surprisingly for such a sterling physical specimen, he suffered from a number of health concerns, ranging from recurrences of malaria to a crippling sinus condition that would especially become aggravated during gunfight scenes where explosives were used.

I do remember Robert telling me that Errol's first wife Lili Damita knew that her marriage to Errol was over the night of the Captain Blood premiere. And, of course, shortly afterwards it was. He also mentioned that despite his carousing and active night life, there were other occasions when Errol preferred to simply be a homebody, locking himself in his study either to read or write. As you surely know, Errol had two of his books published. Another buddy of mine, who was close to Errol (and in fact lived with him for a while during the 40s) has an inscribed copy of Beam Ends which he protects like the Crown Jewels.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stone, please drop those names! :D "Fatheaded showoff" ??? no way. You are sharing a lot of terrific information with people who really want to hear it. Thanks!!!!

Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

Stone, there's a difference between name dropping (which is constant in a person's way of being) and talking about subjects in a context, like you do. You aren't a name dropper :wink:

And keep sharing with us please, that insightful and valuable information :D
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Bless you, my friends --- but Nancy, you almost gave me a heart attack. I was almost going to consider you a "nitwit", sans the "k".

Seriously, thanks for your kind words. I'm so much enjoying being here. Provides a nice break between my daily writing.

BTW: feaito, just love your avatar. Just who is that adorable toddler?
charliechaplinfan

I'm agreeing with everyone above. We love the stories. I'm glad we're providing a welcome break from writing.

I knew about the books, his marriages are bit of a mystery. I'd heard that his first marriage was over by the time of the Captain Blood premiere but the marriage carried on for some time. In the documentary I recently watched Olivia De Havilland says that she was being worn down by Flynn and was considering going out with him, he swore that Lili was off the scene and then she appears on set and they're all over one another, then Sean comes along. I don't think he wanted to be tied down so young. Then his marriage to Nora, he married her to give a name to the child she was carrying, agreeing to sign divorce papers which he never filed and they stayed married for a few years and had another child together. Then he marries again in the 50s in a church. A small part of him must have hankered for domesticity, it's another part that pulled away from it. I bet none of his wives and girlfriends could stay mad at him for long.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I agree, Allison. Such a charmer, even with his obvious flaws, would be able to continually captivate, speaking from personal experiene...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You'd be right, Alison. Recently SSO contributor Alan K. Rode interviewed Patrice Wymore and she said only the nicest things about Errol. It seems as if no one could hold a grudge against Errol.

Here's the link to a great clip of Errol when he appeared on Canada's long-running TV program "Front Page Challenge". He doesn't look that great, but the Flynn charm is still evident.

As a bonus, one of the interviewers is Scott Young - Neil's dad.

feaito

Post by feaito »

Western Guy wrote:Seriously, thanks for your kind words. I'm so much enjoying being here. Provides a nice break between my daily writing.

BTW: feaito, just love your avatar. Just who is that adorable toddler?
You are very welcome Stone. It's an honor to have you as a member of the wonderful and friendly SSO.

The toddler is Feaito back in 1968 ( I was born in 1967). Thanks for the compliment.
charliechaplinfan

Unfortunately I can't view the clip, it belongs to the Canadian broadcasting company they won't allow it! Hopefully others will have better luck.

It was the same on the documentary, two of his wives were interviewed and they only had the nicest things to say about him.

It's apparent to that he didn't like his mother but it's never really been elaborated on or perhaps it's a way of trying to explain the way he was. He idolised his father though according to the same sources.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I couldn't watch it either, it only can play in Canada I guess.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Heck feaito, that's what I thought. You were such an adorable, sweet-faced kid and it's so cute that you use that wonderful shot as your avatar.

Sorry Alison and Jack that you can't view the clip. Same thing happens here in Canada with some U.S. videos. Darn restrictions. For what it's worth, Errol (looking bloated and smoking incessantly - remember the days when you could do so oncamera, a la Tom Snyder) speaks of his Cuba adventure. This clip isn't dated but I believe his appearance on Front Page Challenge preceded his trip to Vancouver, where, of course, he died shbortly thereafter.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Stone. My wife loves this picture too. I use it as my profile pix on FB too.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Breaking girls hearts even back then, ey Errol? Uh, I mean Feaito...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:Breaking girls hearts even back then, ey Errol? Uh, I mean Feaito...
Back then I'd say breaking grandmothers' and mothers' hearts...Thanks Theresa for the compliment...

BTW, I was a huge baby when I was born and I caused much physical pain to my poor mother. I weighed 9,48 pounds.