SPENCER TRACY - October, 2012 SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: SPENCER TRACY - October, 2012 SOTM

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm going to give San Francisco a try, I watched half of it last night, so far not so good, Gable keeps my eye fixed on the screen as does Tracy, their scenes are great but I'm not a fan of Jeanette's singing unless it's the naughtier type of ditties she sings in the Malmoulian and Lubitsch films, which are so against type for her angelic look. I got up to the sequence at the Tivoli and that was enough for one night. Gable and MacDonald lack chemistry in their joint scenes although when he's raising his eyebrow at her when she's singing I can almost believe it but not when they are together. Still I'll watch the rest this morning, if only to watch the guys.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think that's why I watch it most, Alison. I have to admit, sometimes her rousing jazzy renditions of songs make me laugh.
charliechaplinfan

I've still not made my way all the way through San Francisco, Jeanette has slightly redeemed herself by being the Paradise's entry into The Chicken ball but then I got a phone call then it was school run time so I've not got to the earthquake yet.

It's not Jeanette or Clark at their best not at least for me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

San Francisco is okay, but I much prefer In Old Chicago. Now that's a disaster sequence.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't seen that one, I'll keep my eye out for it.

I am looking forward to the earthquake scenes in San Francisco. Isn't that an awful thing to say?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Heck no. The story really is pretty dull until the Big One hits. I find the backstory of In Old Chicago a lot more interesting. Plus the climactic devastation goes on a lot longer than the earthquake sequence and IMO is a lot more compelling. As for Brian Donlevy's hateful character . . . well, won't say anything more.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love In Old Chicago too. Alice Faye was never better.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

After some pipes burst and drenched the subway system, there was a T-Shirt available in the Windy City.

THREE DISASTERS. THE CHICAGO FIRE. THE CHICAGO FLOOD. THE CHICAGO CUBS!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, I know. Sat at many games during my years in Chicago.

Good hot dogs, though.
charliechaplinfan

Well, I've got through San Francisco, yep, the eartthquake was what I was waiting for, the footage made the movie, it was so convincing and gave a scale of the great disaster. Clark's best scenes came then, as he searches for Mary, pulling people out of the rubble and watching others who'd lost their love ones, including Mary's to me mother in law. I was moved by these scenes but once he found Jeanette, singing like an angel, I expected her to be nursing the wounded and looking like not a speck of dust had fallen on her. It was a bit too MGM for me at that point but a rousing finish as the crowd went back to San Francisco to rebuild, that rousing song at the end would have been much better as a ensemble and not having Jeanette's warbling in another pitch over the top of the rest. I'm presuming too that clark would have been days searching for Mary as he mood of the crowd had quickly turned from devestation to determination.

I'm surprised at how little time Spence got on this film, my memory remembered it as more but the time he has got he makes the most of, his scenes are all memorable and give the film it's spirituality (of course, he's playing a priest) he's the best thing about the movie. That and the tousled haired Gable at the end searching through the rubble.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I remember reading once that when Victor Fleming directed Gable in TEST PILOT he had to practically hand hold him through every nuance whereas he just let Tracy go with it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like the "rebuilding the city" image. Having an opera singer belt out "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is heavy handed. But, if I recall, there are shots of the modern San Francisco that are inspiring. We're Americans. We never give up. Nice.
charliechaplinfan

I like the rebuilding of the city image and the fact that San Franciscans can't be knocked around but can't be kept down. Exactly, that's what I meant an opera singer is heavy handed sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It had some good moments, I wouldn't watch it again for quite a while, the lack of chemistry between Jeanette and Clark was for real, aat least on his part, he didn't lije starring in what he called her film.

I'm just reading about Spence's playing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, I've never watched it because I couldn't think what could be added to Fredric March's performance and the precode film which could get away with much more in terms of the sexuality and depravity. I might be being convinced after reading about it, Spence didn't want to do it with makeup but after screen tests realised he couldn't do it without, it took them ages to perfect a look for Hyde but he thought it would be a flop with him in and he never wanted to make it, he inherited it from Robert Donat who had decided to see the war out in England. Plus it has Ingrid Bergman. Perhaps I will make the effort.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

The famous story regarding Spencer Tracy and the MGM remake of DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE is that Spence discussed taking on the role with his so-called Irish Mafia chums and each told him to forget it, stating that no one had ever really made a success of the part (whoa -- what of Fredric March winning a Best Actor Oscar for his turn). Anyhoo, Spence, as was his nature, vetoed his friends' advice and took on the role, at a later date casting aside Fredric March's congrats on doing a good job by saying: "Freddie, you sonofabitch, I've just done you the greatest professional favor you could ask for."
charliechaplinfan

I haven't got that far, I could imagine him saying that. I find it hard to believe Fredric March could be bettered in the role, having said that years later in Inherit the Wind Spence came off best but he did have the better role.