Downton Abbey

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I completely agree. She will be missed! Jessica Brown Findlay was marvelous as Lady Sybil. Poor Carson. He seemed as aggrieved as Cora. And I thought he and Mrs. Hughes would have at least experienced an all-encompassing hug. But, they are true to British form, here. He and Mrs.Hughes do seem closer and closer as each episode progresses.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I was really dissappointed, Sybil was my favourite character, I felt shocked when I saw it and I couldn't share it with my friends here. With 2 older sisters like Sybil has no wonder she grew up so sweetly, siblings always like to be different and Cora, watching her baby die. Has the baby a name yet or a religion?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No name or religion, but they've set up a battle royale between Cora and Robert, I am pretty sure that she will side with Tom and he will be against the baby being brought up Catholic or in Ireland. I thought the most moving scene was Cora promising her dead daughter that she would take care of Tom and the baby, in just the way that Sybil wanted it.
charliechaplinfan

I know, I was so touched. Poor Robert, he spent his money and hired the best, he had the best intentions and the worst happened, yet most would have followed the advice of the expert and not the local doctor.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I do feel bad for Robert, but I don't know how I could forgive though if my child died because of the doctor's stubbornness. One should always err on the side of caution, the answer to me was simple, if there was even the slightest doubt go to the hospital.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

But at that time, hospitals were germ and disease infested places where you could easily die. It was usually safer to be tended at home, but only the wealthy could afford that. We are looking at this from our time frame, not theirs. And I totally agree, Robert was prideful, and an idiot. I hope Cora will forgive him, but the previews look like he has a long hard path to redemption.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

knitwit45 wrote:But at that time, hospitals were germ and disease infested places where you could easily die. It was usually safer to be tended at home, but only the wealthy could afford that. We are looking at this from our time frame, not theirs. And I totally agree, Robert was prideful, and an idiot. I hope Cora will forgive him, but the previews look like he has a long hard path to redemption.
So true, knitty. And don't forget the horrendous Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 was still fresh in the minds of our characters. The outbreak is said to have decimated at least 1% of the world'spopulation.

And I do feel Robert will be "out of the suite" for some time.
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
charliechaplinfan

Yes, the transfer to hospital wouldn't have been straightforward, the journey itself might have threatened the baby too. At least the baby is safe. As for Robert, this is going to take some undoing, I feel so sorry for him though, it was his daughter too but the English stiff upper lip doesn't allow him to show his grief.

When do you get the Xmas special aired? I hope it's straight after this series.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Me, too!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Robert's stiff upper lip has gotten him through quite a lot in the past with his backing of Bates at first and later during the arrest and trial, his refusal at first to accept Matthews financial help until it was negotiated as a partnership rather than assistance, and of course his denial of Edith's fiancee, but this time his lip should have quivered a bit when the family doctor (who knew Sybil's history quite well), tried to convince him that Sybil had a problem. Also, like often recognizes like and Robert should have seen the stubbornness in the big shot doctor as his own type of 'stiff upper lip', in addition to professional snobbery. His opinion of the 'country' doctor was quite obvious. I do agree about the hospitals being less than preferable, and I believe the doc should been allowed to treat her at home nevertheless. When your child's life is in danger, you grab at any and all attempts to help regardless of the feelings of others involved.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Pardon the interruption -

A lady I work with comes in yesterday and asks me "Have you heard of this "Downtown something"?

"Yes, I have. With the two women in my life I have seen most of the series."

"Some of my girlfriends are really hooked on this but I've never heard about it."

"Well," I told her, "give it a shot."

So, in the course of things I gave her a little background. Last night she watched the entire first season. She's hooked.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Good for you! Add another fan to the list.

I went for a walk with my french friend Veronique this morning. We got to talking about Downton, and this is what she thinks is going to happen in future now that Sybil isn't around.

1. Branson is going to lose it, become an alcoholic, or perhaps simply flee back to Ireland to fight for Irish freedom.
2. The baby will be brought up Catholic, Cora making sure that Sybil's wishes are seen to. Cora will become the baby's surrogate mother.
3. Mary will turn out to be barren.
4. Edith will become a writer, defy her father and go to London or Paris ( or even maybe New York bringing Shirley MacLaine back into the story)and hang with the intelligentsia and artists of the 1920's, becoming more stable and strong on her own. She didn't see Edith marrying at all.
5. Once again, the question of an heir to the Downton family title will come into question, because of Mary's inability to have a child.
6. Edith will become pregnant out of wedlock, and will save Downton in the end, by producing a boy heir, who may or may not be adopted by Matthew and Mary, at least if they are still together.

She also mentioned that she could see Mary running off with a rich Texan who could supply her with the wealth to maintain her lifestyle and keep Downton in the manner to which she was accustomed. I thought her description of Matthew's war injuries relating to his not having a spine, or other parts descriptive of standing up to Mary (he needs to grow a pair), was hilarious, and it kind of makes sense that they cannot have children.

What do you guys think?
charliechaplinfan

I really can't say because I know too much. Lets say, I have all the answers and felt similarly about the characters, most of your questions will be answered.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She better not have peeked ahead and cheated! I'll be mad if she told me all this knowing what was going to happen all the time!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Don't forget friends, our buddies across the pond saw Season 3 last year. This is all old hat to them, and they know all the answers but they've been kind in not giving out any 'spoilers'. That's why I don't really ask too many questions, just give my thoughts on what might be happening. I don't want to tempt anyone to 'give'.

On top of all that's happening on Downton Abbey, I've gone and gotten myself hooked on old re-runs of Season 2 of Upstairs/Downstairs.

I've also found I really like DCI Banks, a show about a police investigator based in England. I don't know much about his background because only one show so far, has ventured into it, but I suspect he had a bad experience with his wife, or she died or something else traumatic happened to her. The fact is however, the shows are very well written and acted and I like his assistant a lot. She's a feisty lady as well as good looking.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************