TCM Premieres....

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: TCM Premieres....

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 27th, 2023, 9:52 pm I'm attracted to anything maritime so I do love lighthouses but the one in LIGHTHOUSE has to be the ugliest, least picturesque I've ever seen onscreen or off!
The best thing about this dull movie is old pro John Litel who can actually act and show real human emotion. That's more than I can say for the wooden June Lang (I remember her only as the pert blonde teenage niece of Edmond Lowe in 1932's CHANDU THE MAGICIAN) and that silly Clark Gable lookalike. I won't give spoilers so will just say that I hope a certain character was able to change the wallpaper and convince another person to give up the Navy cots in favor of a double bed, lol.
Have you seen The Lighthouse (2018) with Willem Dafoe? It seems not for everybody because it gets some flack. I have seen it twice buy may not again, though there are a at least a couple of major scenes I might revisit. Dafoe shows his experience and great talent. He has no daughters that we know of in the movie haha but his work would certainly suggest King Lear. In fact, I wish he would do it.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Never seen! I like Dafoe, though. (what's the one where he played Nosferatu?)

I didn't find LIGHTHOUSE a lost masterpiece or film noir or anything except uninteresting. There was not one moment where I felt it was going to be absorbing in any way. The hosts were going on about how unforgettable and charismatic June Lang was in this and all I can say is wtf, lol. She showed more spark in CONVICTED WOMAN but that's still not saying much, unfortunately. If anyone can steer me to a good June Lang movie and performance I would be grateful.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: July 27th, 2023, 7:31 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 27th, 2023, 7:03 pm
The guy wasn't even a good actor. Looks like the very rich Jack Wrather and his wife Nancy Drew Bonita, helped his career to be what it was (which wasn't really much).
Yeah, I remember being less than impressed with his acting when Muller showed 'The Guilty'. In fact, I also remember thinking his acting was so bad that he almost made that other "poor man's Clark Gable" of that time, James Craig, look fairly good by comparison.

(...guess we'll see if he's any better at all after watching 'Lighthouse')
As Bronxgirl says the best thing about Lighthouse was John Litel, who was a good actor with a lot of experience from his days being under contract for Warner Bros. Litel was also in The Guilty which also starred Bonita Granville. It makes me wonder if her husband Wrather also helped Litel get parts after his long-term WB contract wasn't renewed in the early-40s.

SPOILER ALERT

As for the film: it lacked suspense, and as for the ending: I really wanted that cad Castle's character to be bumped off, E.g., some type of accident that doesn't put the married couple in legal jeopardy.
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on July 28th, 2023, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And of course Litel was Carson Drew, Nancy's (Bonita) father in the Nancy Drew series. I also like him (among so many other roles) as a compromised medical researcher in THE RETURN OF DR. X. "Interesting stuff, blood" That's the fun movie where Humphrey Bogart plays a....well, if anyone hasn't seen this they just MUST, lol. Wonderfully lurid stuff involving vampires, mysterious actresses, child abduction and other "ripped from the headlines" gruesome goings-on.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:03 pm And of course Litel was Carson Drew, Nancy's (Bonita) father in the Nancy Drew series. I also like him (among so many other roles) as a compromised medical researcher in THE RETURN OF DR. X. "Interesting stuff, blood" That's the fun movie where Humphrey Bogart plays a....well, if anyone hasn't seen this they just MUST, lol. Wonderfully lurid stuff involving vampires, mysterious actresses, child abduction and other "ripped from the headlines" gruesome goings-on.
I can see Litel rising from the grave doing a Dr. X impression: "you remember me for that?!?!". But yea, that is a must-see pre-stardom, Bogie film, made in 1939.

Litel generally played a nice, gentle man, but sometimes he could be dark. E.g. The Bette Davis film Marked Women (1937), also with Bogart as a DA, and Litel plays a mob attorney. Litel was in so many first-rate WB productions with their major stars: Father to DeHavilland in Gold Is Where You Find It, A Slight Case of Murder with E.G. Robinson, Jezebel with Davis, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse again with E.G. Robinson and Claire Trevor, all in 1938 as well as the first Nancy Drew film, as well as 8 other films, thus 13 just in 1938!

In 1939 he was in 13 films and in 1940 16 films. Good thing he had a home that was very close to the WB studio!

Note that Litel was also the father of the lead character in the Paramount Henry Aldrich serial. Litel continued in films until his last appearance in the Steve McQueen film Nevada Smith in 1966. Over 37 years in the biz!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:03 pm And of course Litel was Carson Drew, Nancy's (Bonita) father in the Nancy Drew series. I also like him (among so many other roles) as a compromised medical researcher in THE RETURN OF DR. X. "Interesting stuff, blood" That's the fun movie where Humphrey Bogart plays a....well, if anyone hasn't seen this they just MUST, lol. Wonderfully lurid stuff involving vampires, mysterious actresses, child abduction and other "ripped from the headlines" gruesome goings-on.
Humphrey Bogart's entrance, all in white, with the white rabbit in The Return of Dr. X is one of the great movie entrances. The DVD has an interview with Vincent Sherman, who directed the film. Sherman was asked whether he did some research on how to set up the complicated lab equipment, since it looked so authentic. Sherman said, no, I didn't do any research. I just called the prop man and said, "I gotta bring a rabbit back to life. Bring me a lot of stuff."

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:52 pm
I can see Litel rising from the grave doing a Dr. X impression: "you remember me for that?!?!". But yea, that is a must-see pre-stardom, Bogie film, made in 1939.

Litel generally played a nice, gentle man, but sometimes he could be dark. E.g. The Bette Davis film Marked Women (1937), also with Bogart as a DA, and Litel plays a mob attorney. Litel was in so many first-rate WB productions with their major stars: Father to DeHavilland in Gold Is Where You Find It, A Slight Case of Murder with E.G. Robinson, Jezebel with Davis, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse again with E.G. Robinson and Claire Trevor, all in 1938 as well as the first Nancy Drew film, as well as 8 other films, thus 13 just in 1938!

In 1939 he was in 13 films and in 1940 16 films. Good thing he had a home that was very close to the WB studio!

Note that Litel was also the father of the lead character in the Paramount Henry Aldrich serial. Litel continued in films until his last appearance in the Steve McQueen film Nevada Smith in 1966. Over 37 years in the biz!

Great Litel info, James! Always liked him, and also thought he was a bit of a hottie. No, really! (I've always been partial to the nice older guy who could offer a girl security with some unexpected sex appeal)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: July 28th, 2023, 12:56 pm
Humphrey Bogart's entrance, all in white, with the white rabbit in The Return of Dr. X is one of the great movie entrances. The DVD has an interview with Vincent Sherman, who directed the film. Sherman was asked whether he did some research on how to set up the complicated lab equipment, since it looked so authentic. Sherman said, no, I didn't do any research. I just called the prop man and said, "I gotta bring a rabbit back to life. Bring me a lot of stuff."

Vincent Sherman's reply LOL I heard Bogie was embarrassed by the whole thing, calling it "a piece of (bleep)" Wonder how he felt about the bunny. This is the first Bogart psycho role so I cherish it. Needless to say I also love CONFLICT, THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, IN A LONELY PLACE and THE CAINE MUTINY. Nobody played paranoid imo better than Humphrey!
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

you guys are kinda going OT from this threads orig. intention....
meaning announcements & comments re: TCM Premieres....
:shock: :smiley_huh:

(no offense intended)
:|
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ziggy6708a wrote: July 28th, 2023, 9:25 pm you guys are kinda going OT from this threads orig. intention....
meaning announcements & comments re: TCM Premieres....
:shock: :smiley_huh:

(no offense intended)
:|
Apologies! But how does one know for sure what is a premiere, without doing a lot of research? The TCM schedule doesn't seem to indicate it.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Swithin wrote: July 28th, 2023, 9:31 pm Apologies! But how does one know for sure what is a premiere, without doing a lot of research? The TCM schedule doesn't seem to indicate it.
A few years ago, a member of the TCM message board (and this board as well), MovieCollectorOH, was kind enough to create and post a database of every title that has been shown on TCM, to the best that can be determined. This database is available at:

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports.htm

Refer to the ‘TCM Schedules Summary’ link on this page.

When the TCM schedule for the month is posted, I compare every title in the schedule against this database to determine a list of the premieres for the month. I then include this list as part of the monthly summaries I publish on my web site:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

If you look at the Schedule At-A-Glance documents, the list of premieres is typically on the last page of each.

Also for several years, ziggy6708a (previously MR6666) has been regularly posting a detailed summary of upcoming TCM premieres, as a reminder of what is coming up on the channel as well as providing an opportunity for discussion after the films have been shown.

In total it is a good amount of work but it has been tackled as something of a team effort.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

cmovieviewer wrote: July 29th, 2023, 9:22 am
Swithin wrote: July 28th, 2023, 9:31 pm Apologies! But how does one know for sure what is a premiere, without doing a lot of research? The TCM schedule doesn't seem to indicate it.
A few years ago, a member of the TCM message board (and this board as well), MovieCollectorOH, was kind enough to create and post a database of every title that has been shown on TCM, to the best that can be determined. This database is available at:

https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports.htm

Refer to the ‘TCM Schedules Summary’ link on this page.

When the TCM schedule for the month is posted, I compare every title in the schedule against this database to determine a list of the premieres for the month. I then include this list as part of the monthly summaries I publish on my web site:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

If you look at the Schedule At-A-Glance documents, the list of premieres is typically on the last page of each.

Also for several years, ziggy6708a (previously MR6666) has been regularly posting a detailed summary of upcoming TCM premieres, as a reminder of what is coming up on the channel as well as providing an opportunity for discussion after the films have been shown.

In total it is a good amount of work but it has been tackled as something of a team effort.
Thanks -- I sort of knew about the various resources. But if we're going to be (politely) castigated for going off topic, there needs to be a way that we can know the premieres without having to research them, for fear of being criticized. Possibly the answer is just to post in this thread about films that one thinks might be premieres, and hope that the schoolmarms among us won't shriek (albeit gently): "THAT'S NOT A PREMIERE!"
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

I don't think ziggy is expecting posters in this thread to be solely concentrating on what is/is not a premiere - a discussion of the movies is welcomed. Rather it was just a request to please stay on the topic of the premiere films in general and not veer off into talking about other movie topics for too long.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

late SAT., 7-29

1:45
am (ET)

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
1h 40m | Adaptation | TV-14

a 1992 American drama film written for the screen by David Mamet from his 1984 Pulitzer Prize–winning play of the same name, and directed by James Foley. The film depicts two days in the lives of four real estate salesmen, and their increasing desperation when the corporate office sends a motivational trainer to threaten them that all but the top two salesmen will be fired within two weeks. ....

Director
James Foley
Cast
Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin
Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Jonathan Pryce

".....The film was critically acclaimed and is widely considered one of the best films of the 1990s. The world premiere was held at the 49th Venice Film Festival, where Jack Lemmon was awarded the Volpi Cup for Best Actor. Al Pacino was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor. Yet, the film was a box office failure for grossing $10.7 million in North America against a $12.5 million budget. It has since become a cult classic. ...

The film has a rating of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 56 reviews, with an average rating of 8.5/10.
The consensus reads, "This adaptation of David Mamet's play is every bit as compelling and witty as its source material, thanks in large part to a clever script and a bevy of powerhouse actors."[17]
On Metacritic, the film has a score of 82 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[18]....."

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glengarry ... oss_(film)

:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"WILL YOU GO TO LUNCH??"