POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

LostHorizons

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 15th, 2022, 12:54 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:19 am Towards the end of the old board since it was on the way out anyways I read every review but also stopped using reactions because it was too much effort for an ultimately fruitless endeavor since the board was being deleted anyways. I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
I feel like this is specifically about the Foreign Language Films thread over there, and if it is, I apologize if I contributed to you feeling "pressure" to like my or others' posts. I can't speak for others, but that was never my intention.
I felt like you and Nakano wouldn’t really care since you are both mature and not petty babies like Mr. “God” but at the same time I kind of felt rude for not liking every review I enjoyed even when it was something I agreed with from a movie I previously have seen. It’s just very difficult to scroll down on this phone and stop every time to click the button and go through all the reactions. That is part of why I dislike the idea of reactions. I would prefer to just scroll down and read stuff like on here without having to stop constantly every time to choose something.
laffite

Post by laffite »

So what is "overwhelming" ? Is two/thirds enough? that would be 66.7%. The Pro is not there yet then. 70% 75? What is sufficient to ratify the very common sense notion that has been said before, Give the people the choice to use or ignore the button. To deny the button whatever per cent it is, is to make the winners happy though the others would be denied something they want that would not harm anyone. . Those who oppose the button, I say to say this to you. If you lose, remember nothing is being forced upon you. You are free. Free to use or not to use. If you a Pro, then if you lose you are denied something that if present would not harm the other side. To have the button would be an equitable out come for all. Go Button!!! :yahoo:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:36 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 10:19 am Towards the end of the old board since it was on the way out anyways I read every review but also stopped using reactions because it was too much effort for an ultimately fruitless endeavor since the board was being deleted anyways. I always hated the “pressure” or using reactions because if you don’t then it appears ungrateful on your part.
I feel like this is specifically about the Foreign Language Films thread over there, and if it is, I apologize if I contributed to you feeling "pressure" to like my or others' posts. I can't speak for others, but that was never my intention.
I felt like you and Nakano wouldn’t really care since you are both mature and not petty babies like Mr. “God” but at the same time I kind of felt rude for not liking every review I enjoyed even when it was something I agreed with from a movie I previously have seen. It’s just very difficult to scroll down on this phone and stop every time to click the button and go through all the reactions. That is part of why I dislike the idea of reactions. I would prefer to just scroll down and read stuff like on here without having to stop constantly every time to choose something.
I can't believe the amount of angst that is being expressed over the introduction of a simple "like" option! It's there to be used if you want to, not if you don't. I don't plan to use it promiscuously. To each his/her/their own.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:12 pm

I can't believe the amount of angst that is being expressed over the introduction of a simple "like" option! It's there to be used if you want to, not if you don't. I don't plan to use it promiscuously. To each his/her/their own.

Yes but “if you don’t” then it gives off at least to me the impression that you don’t care or that you even dislike the person. Obviously Lawrence is a very mature and thoughtful poster but I am talking in general. There’s a lot of social interaction communicated through a simple “like.”
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

I don't plan to use it promiscuously. To each his/her/their own.
I will be SO promiscuous with my LIKEs. They will really get around, if ya know what I mean. :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_love_kissing: :woohoo: :smiley_bathing:
Watching until the end.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Yes but “if you don’t” then it gives off at least to me the impression that you don’t care or that you even dislike the person. Obviously Lawrence is a very mature and thoughtful poster but I am talking in general. There’s a lot of social interaction communicated through a simple “like.”

With respect, permit me to offer the opinion that your concern is exaggerated. Most people don't use "like" for everything, and most people don't take offense if their posts are not "liked." Period.

If we don't get a "like" button, I will use an icon, or something, to denote the same thing. It will just be easier for me and others, and much less cumbersome for the Board. Those who are delicate and take offense easily by being neglected the reinforcement that they need, may suffer those feelings just the same.

I don't see our colleagues here reacting like this; or the opposite way, if their posts are not liked.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:58 pm
Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm
EP Millstone wrote: December 14th, 2022, 9:45 pm After briefly searching the Web for Pro and Con arguments regarding the Like button, I discovered that . . .

There ain't many likes for Likes.

Lotta angst about the deterioration of society. Lotta pearl-clutching and Sturm und Drang from psychologists, sociologists, social scientists, and folks who have waaaaay too much free time on their hands IMO about the pernicious and corrupting effects of the upright thumb and beating heart. Oh, Lawdy! This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a . . .
Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

(...nope, just don't get it here...sorry)
Dargo, the reasoning is that for a lot of people, when they post a comment and they get very few or no likes, that person posting the comment feels bad, even possibly seriously depressed. This is a phenomenon that has been documented in studies of people's behaviors with social media sites.
Well then Holden, perhaps the people who might feel this way should take a page out of Stuart Smalley's playbook here and recite while looking at themselves in the mirror:
...and doggonit I LIKE me, and no matter if I get 'likes' from others or NOT!"

LOL ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:54 pm
I don't plan to use it promiscuously. To each his/her/their own.
I will be SO promiscuous with my LIKEs. They will really get around, if ya know what I mean. :smiley_heartbounce: :smiley_love_kissing: :woohoo: :smiley_bathing:
ROFL, now I want a "laugh" button as well!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:36 pm . . . It’s just very difficult to scroll down on this phone and stop every time to click the button and go through all the reactions. That is part of why I dislike the idea of reactions. I would prefer to just scroll down and read stuff like on here without having to stop constantly every time to choose something.
That reason for not having a Like button seems somewhat valid and reasonable to me. Technical difficulties accessing and reading posts because of a Like button is a strong argument against a Like button, IMO.

That said, LostHorizons, do you only use a phone to view and post messages on the SSO? I know that Thompson does. My question to you and Thompson is, did you have problems reading and participating on The TCM Message Boards . . . which had more than a Like button?

As I earlier expressed, I visited the SSO on my relatively basic flip phone (which has a Web browser). If my phone was the only way that I could access the SSO, I wouldn't bother. The SSO layout looks very different on my phone (which has a screen slightly larger than a medium-sized Post-It® note) than it looks on my computer.

Anti-Like button arguments based on aesthetics, personal tastes and neuroses, and Luddite variations of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" don't cut any ice with me.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Actually, what this conversation has made me realize, is that I probably shouldn't engage with people who might be hurt by not getting likes. If they get depressed because they don't get likes, imagine how they may feel if you disagree with them in a conversation! In that sense, I'm beginning to learn whom to avoid here, in this new venue!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Thompson wrote: December 15th, 2022, 4:22 pm Not just angst, but universal angst. The whole world is battling about a button. How did Mick Jagger put it? (My memory) — oh yeah I got it now — “I think I busted a button on my trousers. You wouldn’t want my trousers to fall down now would ya?”
Besides a Like button, I'd also like a Laughing button, which I'd use for this post, Thompson.

But . . . baby steps must be taken. We cannot rush things. The complete appropriation and domination of the SSO must happen incrementally, ja? Stealthily . . . ein shtep at a time.

Today der Like button!

Tomorrow DER VURLD!

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: December 15th, 2022, 5:11 pm Actually, what this conversation has made me realize, is that I probably shouldn't engage with people who might be hurt by not getting likes. If they get depressed because they don't get likes, imagine how they may feel if you disagree with them in a conversation! In that sense, I'm beginning to learn whom to avoid here, in this new venue!
Y'know for a poll about a Like button -- to quote Dargo "a simple expression of a POSITIVE response" -- this discussion is becoming, to me, distressingly divisive. It was only a week ago that TCM Message Board refugees were gleefully welcoming each other and thrilled to see each other.

Chill, People! Let's not get bent out of shape and turn on one another over a Like button!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: December 15th, 2022, 2:02 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:22 pm
Dargo wrote: December 14th, 2022, 10:07 pm

Sorry, but I just don't understand the reasoning in this. With all the negativity in the world today and especially so expressed via the internet, how and in what possible way could a simple expression of a POSITIVE response to something one has said or shown on the net become viewed as somehow being a "negative", and as long as what was said or shown does NOT press some sort of negative or intolerant thoughts or ideas???

(...nope, just don't get it here...sorry)
:smiley_clap:
Dargo, you usual thing is your easy going and informal sort of cutting up, that we all love here. But that paragraph you wrote up there is thrilling. Direct to the point and wonderfully expressed (you can do this already of course but we see only the informal part of you). I have noticed this about you some time back. I wish you would write like that more often. Please do that. Give us a movie review some day or a character analysis and write like that like that. Please.

Swithin, that LIKE was a perfect choice for a LIKE. :smiley_clap: Perfection!
Appreciate the kind words here laffite, but ya know, I'm really NOT all that "deep" a person when it comes right down to it, don't ya?! ;)

Actually though and all kidding aside here, and if you'd like to see the more "formal" and less kidding around part of my personally, you might check out the conversation I had with Jamesjazzguitar the other day in the "Destry Rides Again" thread located in the "Westerns" film genre forum. This perhaps being the best and most recent example I can offer up to you in these regards.

(...yep, I think I actually kept in check my tendency to "go for the joke" in that thread...well, for the most part anyway)
Last edited by Dargo on December 15th, 2022, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Actually while we are on the subject, a lot of the time I would read all your reviews first and then go back and manually “like” them. I only say this to explain why you sometimes probably got like thirty like notifications in the span of five to ten minutes. It is just a lot to do that all at once.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

EP Millstone wrote: December 15th, 2022, 5:09 pm
LostHorizons wrote: December 15th, 2022, 3:36 pm . . . It’s just very difficult to scroll down on this phone and stop every time to click the button and go through all the reactions. That is part of why I dislike the idea of reactions. I would prefer to just scroll down and read stuff like on here without having to stop constantly every time to choose something.
That reason for not having a Like button seems somewhat valid and reasonable to me. Technical difficulties accessing and reading posts because of a Like button is a strong argument against a Like button, IMO.

That said, LostHorizons, do you only use a phone to view and post messages on the SSO? I know that Thompson does. My question to you and Thompson is, did you have problems reading and participating on The TCM Message Boards . . . which had more than a Like button?

As I earlier expressed, I visited the SSO on my relatively basic flip phone (which has a Web browser). If my phone was the only way that I could access the SSO, I wouldn't bother. The SSO layout looks very different on my phone (which has a screen slightly larger than a medium-sized Post-It® note) than it looks on my computer.

Anti-Like button arguments based on aesthetics, personal tastes and neuroses, and Luddite variations of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" don't cut any ice with me.
Yes, the majority of the time I am posting from my phone. The TCM message boards were easy enough to browse but to leave a reaction you had to stop and maximize the reaction area so that you could choose the correct one without fudging it up (this also screwed up sometimes so occasionally you would see a “laugh” reaction to something stupid someone said when I actually meant to press “sad” but the reactions were too small and my thumb fudged them up).